Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australia or New Zealand???

Options
2»

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 105 ✭✭telly_lover

Wow, goes to show how differently people can think about the same places! For me, living in Dunedin is like living in a provincial Scottish town in the 1950s. I, conversely, can't wait to finish uni here so I can leave!

living in any part of scotland sounds like hell to me , a provincial scottish town sounds even worse

what crime did you commit that you were sentanced to live in dunedin for such a long time ?

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭earnyourturns

The uni lured me in...

And yes, this is certainly not a nation given to big celebrations. I watched the final of the Rugby World Cup in the Kurow pub last year, Kurow being the hometown of Richie McCaw (that's not why I was there though). Anyway, after New Zealand won, everyone just continued to be muted, finished up their drinks and then went home. Could you imagine that happening if Ireland won the World Cup as a hosting nation or anything?!

[its a bit like eastern europe in this regard[/QUOTE]

Amount of mullets in Otago/Southland is staggering as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

are you into guns n roses and the black album by metalica , when i was in new zealand in 1998 , the teenagers were all into hard rock from the eighties while thier counterparts back in ireland and europe were into dance and hip hop , i love hard rock but the point was , new zealand tends to catch up on trends years after everyone else , its a bit like eastern europe in this regard
    Wow, goes to show how differently people can think about the same places! For me, living in Dunedin is like living in a provincial Scottish town in the 1950s. I, conversely, can't wait to finish uni here so I can leave!

Haha, when I think of Dunedin, I think of it as being awash with psychedlics, all the hippies out in Waitati and the surrounding hills, all the good anarcho-punks and twee-gaze kids that are into all the Flying Nun **** and going far beyond what they were doing. People working/volunteering at the Crooked Spoke, Black Star Books, a vanload of us going down with no sleeping arrangements and all being put up in the house of a stranger at a gig and getting served up the meanest hangover breakfast the next day - welcome back anytime - lots of festivals and events put on non-profit or for charity by certain communities for their communities. That's who I tend to think of when I think of Dunedin, but I suppose most people won't be meeting the same ones that I am :/

And no, while Metallica and that were a part of my youth, I'm more into punk, ska, shoegazey, psychedelic, thrashy bassy gutsy stuff.

Hey Crumble Froo, that's really interesting to hear :) Yes, no doubt there's that subculture in Dunedin (Feastock, that sort of thing, especially with the huge student population) but that is very much a subculture and a lot of transient students, rather than the dominant culture which is very much conservative, Scots-descended, parsimonious farmers.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Having lived and worked in both countries I can tell you that they are very different from each other.

New Zealand is a beautiful beautiful country. Especially the South Island. Id say along with South Africa New Zealand is one of the most scenic places on earth. Very easy to travel around the place. Such varied landscapes all within a few hours of each other. Lots to do and see. Christchurch is one of my favorite places on earth. The city centre may not be up to much but the surrounding areas are beautiful. The people I find are generally pleasant and nice. A little inward looking as well to be fair but generally salt of the earth. Saying that it is hard to get to know actual Kiwis as they tend to stick to their own. Also, very easily entertained. No where else in the world not even Australia that I have had people say " Say Potato back to me" This was a common experience in NZ! WTF?

Saying that you are not going to become rich in NZ. Pay sucks BIG time! The cost of living relative to the pay is quite high. Food is VERY expensive I found.
    You can have a good quality of life there but best thing to do is bring some hard currency with you. NZ to my mind is a great place to settle when you are in your 40's after you have made your money somewhere else. Great place to semi retire and catch up with some surf, skiing and reading. Pure bliss if that is what you are after.

Not the most cultured of places either and the Kiwis can be em, boring? Maori culture is a nice addition in fairness though. There is a little bit of tall poppy syndrome there and they do not take criticism lightly, however there is not that much to criticize in fairness apart from some of the sub standard housing. Like Ireland they are an insecure bunch generally but like Ireland always up for a little chat, so long its not getting dark!

Australia is loud, brash and proud. A good place to come if you are young, eager, ambitious. If you want to go to a place that is full of opportunity then Australia for the most part will fit your bill. The pay here is a lot better than NZ. Same company, same job and I got a 50% pay rise. I found that I have a lot more in my pocket at the end of the month then NZ even adding to the fact that rent here is about 300% more expensive. Money just goes further here.

Australians can be a little in-personal and up themselves but generally they are approachable. Weather is better here but the summers can be heavy going sometimes. However, it is bliss when in the middle of winter you can go out for a jog while the sun is shining wearing a t shirt and shorts. Great urban vibe around the inner cities. Huge choice in food and bars. Some of the best dining in the world is in Sydney and the range is massive.

Lots of concerts and sporting events to go to. Most things close by, transport is OK! Sydney harbour is beautiful. One of the wonders of the world. Saying all that, I am not sure if I would settle here and live here all my life. I would see myself living in the future in NZ rather then Sydney but I think a good happy medium would be Melbourne.

In Summary both places have their pros and cons. As I said try both!

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭davepatr07

Interesting responses to the OP.

Lived in both countries (still living in one) and have to say it all comes down to the person themselves. You have to sample and experience it yourself then you can make the choice. Each to their own, everyone is different though it does help to get some feedback from others experiences. Get a different perspective and idea of the places.

I have to say NZ is definitely a place you would retire to and even though you don't earn as much as you would in Oz you can still live a good lifestyle without being posh or brash and splashing the cash. As someone has said already it is definitely for outdoor types. I'm surprised with some of the comments on Kiwi's. In general I found them to be easy going folk and many I have gotten on well with even become close friends with. I can't say the same unfortunately for Australia. I have found it harder to make friends here than in NZ probably because I met someone in NZ and I'm still with them. Call me bias ;)

Havn't found any trouble with any Kiwi or Aussie's when it comes to race (being Irish). Of course you will get a few Irish jokes and slagging (Got some when I was working in rural South Australia) but you would need to be a big softy not to take it. Give as good as you get and you'll be respected. Have some sense of humour and not get too serious, you will enjoy your stay more. Remember life is too short!

In NZ you can see from the houses, lifestyle, cars even that they aren't really big spenders. In both places if you work hard you can get where you want to go. Cost of living I am finding is high in BOTH countries especially when it comes to groceries and energy bills. Saving is that bit harder in NZ. There is that snobbish attitude with some Aussies more so than Kiwi's especially in Melbs and Sydney. When it comes to Sports even more so.

The weather of course in Oz is better but you can still get nicer weather in NZ than you would back home. Also I think NZ is a great place if you are big into you winter sports. Right there on your doorstep when you get sick of the rain and wind. Scenery is incredible in NZ and even though Oz has it's own gem locations I think for me NZ pips it.

+HIGHLY RECOMMEND THE WOOFING!!!! HAD A GREAT TIME

Whatever you decide, enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

I think Wellingtonians are very much more cultured and friendly then some of their rurual or southern couisins. Even drive 30 minutes up the road towards Upper Hutt or the Wairarapa and they become a totally different, much more redneck farmy types that drink and fight hard. I've played gigs all over the place and the difference in crowds between Wellington and the rural towns was almost like two differnet countries :)

Aucklanders I found more Aussie like, maybe also a bit more materialistic then people from other centres. Auckland feels a lot like Brisbane to me. Wellington like a 1970s Melbourne. Thats antoher thing, Wellington's fashion or "Cuba street culture" is totally stuck in the 70s :)

Im thinking about moving to Oz for a year before I'm too old and then coming back to NZ with a wad of cash to buy a place and then go travel elsewhere. All depending on my NZ residancy actually coming through before I die :(

You still waiting for that? Thought you had it ages ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Saying that you are not going to become rich in NZ. Pay sucks BIG time! The cost of living relative to the pay is quite high. Food is VERY expensive I found.

Pay is far better than at home in my (and partner's) experience and tax is much lower too. I'm in finance, she's a chem eng. Compared to Dublin cost of living here is much lower IMO (though New Plymouth would be more comparable with Kilkenny or Galway I suppose), owning and running a car is a fraction of the price, elec, phone and BB is on par, booze is a bit more expensive, food is cheaper and generally better. Our weekly shop is the about the same in dollars as it was in euro.

• Advertisement

Pay is far better than at home in my (and partner's) experience and tax is much lower too. I'm in finance, she's a chem eng. Compared to Dublin cost of living here is much lower IMO (though New Plymouth would be more comparable with Kilkenny or Galway I suppose), owning and running a car is a fraction of the price, elec, phone and BB is on par, booze is a bit more expensive, food is cheaper and generally better. Our weekly shop is the about the same in dollars as it was in euro.

Really? That is surprising as its very common that people get paid a lot less than home. Average wage in NZ is about $800 per week. About 400 euro. Some jobs would obviously pay a lot more and I have no idea about the finance industry.

E.g. when I went over there in 2008/2009 I had to take a 35% pay cut in my industry. It was common for people to take up to a 50% cut coming from Ireland or the UK.

Even when we moved though I was earning less than in IRL but was coming out with more after tax because of the realistic tax rates here :) took a small paycut (and some unemployment time to boot) but have done well since then.

Granted it's not the same for everyone, especially if you are coming over without experience or unqualified. In general terms I would say wages are less in NZ but salaries can be on a par of better for professionals. Oil and Gas in New Plymouth helps of course, massive demand drives higher wages in the sector, which my partner is in.

Did find Auckland more expensive when there the two times I've gone also so I suppose it could be much of a muchness and totally dependant on where you end up.

Of course it's not all roses and better, there are other costs, rates, earthquake levies causing insurance to go up, crappy housing quality etc but on balance I think it's slightly cheaper cost of living than at home and a better standard due to the weather, outdoor nature of kiwi's and facilities provided by the govt/council.

We've certainly been impressed enough to buy land within less than a year of moving and being at home once since then nearly drove me mad in so many ways

jank wrote: »
    You still waiting for that? Thought you had it ages ago!

Nah got as far as getting invited to apply. Current processing times for PR ranging from nine to twelve months :(

pclancy wrote: »
    Nah got as far as getting invited to apply. Current processing times for PR ranging from nine to twelve months :(

:eek:
    you'd be quicker going home and doing it. 6/7 weeks to go through London was all it took us

• Site Banned Posts: 222 ✭✭bee_keeper

jank wrote: »
    Having lived and worked in both countries I can tell you that they are very different from each other.

New Zealand is a beautiful beautiful country. Especially the South Island. Id say along with South Africa New Zealand is one of the most scenic places on earth. Very easy to travel around the place. Such varied landscapes all within a few hours of each other. Lots to do and see. Christchurch is one of my favorite places on earth. The city centre may not be up to much but the surrounding areas are beautiful. The people I find are generally pleasant and nice. A little inward looking as well to be fair but generally salt of the earth. Saying that it is hard to get to know actual Kiwis as they tend to stick to their own. Also, very easily entertained. No where else in the world not even Australia that I have had people say " Say Potato back to me" This was a common experience in NZ! WTF?

You can have a good quality of life there but best thing to do is bring some hard currency with you. NZ to my mind is a great place to settle when you are in your 40's after you have made your money somewhere else. Great place to semi retire and catch up with some surf, skiing and reading. Pure bliss if that is what you are after.

Not the most cultured of places either and the Kiwis can be em, boring? Maori culture is a nice addition in fairness though. There is a little bit of tall poppy syndrome there and they do not take criticism lightly, however there is not that much to criticize in fairness apart from some of the sub standard housing. Like Ireland they are an insecure bunch generally but like Ireland always up for a little chat, so long its not getting dark!

Australia is loud, brash and proud. A good place to come if you are young, eager, ambitious. If you want to go to a place that is full of opportunity then Australia for the most part will fit your bill. The pay here is a lot better than NZ. Same company, same job and I got a 50% pay rise. I found that I have a lot more in my pocket at the end of the month then NZ even adding to the fact that rent here is about 300% more expensive. Money just goes further here.

Australians can be a little in-personal and up themselves but generally they are approachable. Weather is better here but the summers can be heavy going sometimes. However, it is bliss when in the middle of winter you can go out for a jog while the sun is shining wearing a t shirt and shorts. Great urban vibe around the inner cities. Huge choice in food and bars. Some of the best dining in the world is in Sydney and the range is massive.

Lots of concerts and sporting events to go to. Most things close by, transport is OK! Sydney harbour is beautiful. One of the wonders of the world. Saying all that, I am not sure if I would settle here and live here all my life. I would see myself living in the future in NZ rather then Sydney but I think a good happy medium would be Melbourne.

In Summary both places have their pros and cons. As I said try both!

i worked in rural new zealand for a short while a number of years ago , people are good natured but they do have a pretty remarkable attitude to complaints , they seem to take great offense

roof leaking = stop whining
    brakes dont work on my bike = stop whining
    im frozen solid at night , may i have an electric heater = stop whining

• Site Banned Posts: 222 ✭✭bee_keeper

pclancy wrote: »
    I think Wellingtonians are very much more cultured and friendly then some of their rurual or southern couisins. Even drive 30 minutes up the road towards Upper Hutt or the Wairarapa and they become a totally different, much more redneck farmy types that drink and fight hard. I've played gigs all over the place and the difference in crowds between Wellington and the rural towns was almost like two differnet countries :)

Aucklanders I found more Aussie like, maybe also a bit more materialistic then people from other centres. Auckland feels a lot like Brisbane to me. Wellington like a 1970s Melbourne. Thats antoher thing, Wellington's fashion or "Cuba street culture" is totally stuck in the 70s :)

Im thinking about moving to Oz for a year before I'm too old and then coming back to NZ with a wad of cash to buy a place and then go travel elsewhere. All depending on my NZ residancy actually coming through before I die :(

i didnt spend long in wellington but i liked it a lot

i didnt like christchurch at all , i liked the south island for a holiday but would much perfer to live on the north island

agree with the poster who pointed to the similaritys with scotland , kiwis seem to love scotland and scots are very plentifull in the country , stands to reason i suppose , historically speaking , the irish primarily went to australia while the scots went to new zealand , i would say scotland is the country which most resembles new zealand , while i met plenty of irish backpackers in new zealand , a long established irish community appeared pretty non existant , might be due to new zealand being so much more pro british than australia traditionally

bee_keeper wrote: »
    i worked in rural new zealand for a short while a number of years ago , people are good natured but they do have a pretty remarkable attitude to complaints , they seem to take great offense

roof leaking = stop whining
    brakes dont work on my bike = stop whining
    im frozen solid at night , may i have an electric heater = stop whining

Lol my first landlord in Wellington was like that too. Winter comes and his 1940s wooden bungalow gets down to less then 10 degrees yet we're not allowed turn on the gas heater and instead need to stop whining, put on two jumpers and go collect some pine cones to burn.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭sanbrafyffe

having been in both countries i have to admit i preferred nz more

Advertisement