Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leaving children unattended in cars

• 29-05-2012 6:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Just had a minor accident whilst in my friends car.
    We arrived into the car park of a supermarket, which is on a slope. She had parked her car, and just as we were getting out, the car was bumped from behind by another car.
    Turned out the only passengers in the 'offending' car were two young children (6 and 3!!!). They had been left unattended, had let down the hand-break, and had rolled downhill, hitting my friend's car. Total miracle no-one was hurt.

Anyway, 20-25 mins later, along comes the mother, back from the bank (which was off down the main-street!). She kept insisting she had only been gone 5 mins, and that this was the first time she had left them alone (likely).
    Gardaí arrived shortly after. However, when my friend was giving out to the woman about leaving her kids on their OWN in the car, the Garda just said "you've said your piece, she knows she's done wrong".

No-one was hurt thankfully, not even much damage to the car. However, the Garda didn't seem to know if it was illegal that she had left two children in the car, and that this had happened. She said she'd "look it up", but that she didn't think there was a specific law regarding this. Anyone know? Can't seem to find a definitive answer online, but needless to say, we were shocked at how she could leave the kids. If the car had been parked only a few metres to the right, it would have rolled right down onto the busy main street.
    What do people think of leaving kids unattended in cars?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

did you bash her?
    i would have bashed her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

I think its disgraceful, some parents really must be trying to receive the Darwin Aware, it's basic knowledge not to leave kids alone unattended :confused:

On an unrelated note: was the mother hot?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,524 ✭✭✭tigger123

Sounds like the Garda was trying to defuse the situation tbh.

I do think you should crack the window just a bit though.

You would be prosicuted for leaving a dog unattended in a car, so why not children!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

You would be prosicuted for leaving a dog unattended in a car, so why not children!

More people like dogs over children?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

When I was a kid we were always being left alone in the car. One day my mum was silly enough to park on a main street. After she left we got out the sun roof and threw pop corn at the people walking by. It wasn't long before someone reported up and a guard showed up, waited for my mum to come back and gave her some sort of warning, she never left up alone after that.
    That was in the 80's, I would of thought with all the scaemongering that goes on these days no parent would leave their children unattended.
    Maybe she hoped they would get taken sound like brats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

In the UK and definitively the US they would be getting a visit from child welfare.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

It is an extremely serious and stupid thing to leave children that age unattended, whether in a car or anywhere else. Something could happen to the parent e.g. knocked unconscious or the like and the children would be left stranded for god knows how long. Contact the HSE and report it. It amounts to child neglect and they will send a social worker out to investigate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

My Dad used to leave us in the car while he went to the bookies, but we're not retarded and never released the handbrake or touched any controls on the car because we knew it was dangerous.

Not that I recommend doing it though, it's bloody boring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

A child needs to be looked after every single hour that they are awake. It is a shame that stuff like this happen but its too common in today's world

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

It was stupid of that woman to leave her children in the car for so long, especially in this warm weather! They could have become seriously dehydrated.

And what if you were behind your car getting a pushchair out of the boot and placing a child into it when the other car rolled onto it, like I would have been years ago :s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭seantorious

The HSE is now pushing child responsibility so if the information is ignored and something comes of it the employee is punished.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

Employee?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,821 ✭✭✭phill106

Jester252 wrote: »
    A child needs to be looked after every single hour that they are awake.
    Thats what the Mccanns thought, look where that got them.

Mind them when asleep too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,676 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I think its disgraceful, Joe, some parents really must be trying to receive the Darwin Aware, it's basic knowledge not to leave kids alone unattended :confused:

On an unrelated note: was the mother hot?

FYP.

Also, am I the only one who senses an "undercover" journo when something like this shows up as a first post with no definite details as to location, etc, ...?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Sparrow90

kelle wrote: »
    It was stupid of that woman to leave her children in the car for so long, especially in this warm weather! They could have become seriously dehydrated.

And what if you were behind your car getting a pushchair out of the boot and placing a child into it when the other car rolled onto it, like I would have been years ago :s

So true. We didn't see or hear the car coming, as obviously the engine wasn't on. Easily could have hit someone, and this was a pretty large car, so it definitely could inflict damage.

Most of the windows were rolled all the way down, and the car was unlocked. I'm not sure if that's better or worse though:eek:!! I mean nothing was stopping the kids just leaving the car themselves, and being run over or whatever. I mean, they were 6 and 3..hardly the ages of common sense!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Sparrow90

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    FYP.

Also, am I the only one who senses an "undercover" journo when something like this shows up as a first post with no definite details as to location, etc, ...?

This happened in supervalu Greystones. I'm not a journalist..haha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭Horsefumbler

phill106 wrote: »
    Thats what the Mccanns thought, look where that got them.

Mind them when asleep too!
    Off topic: I think you'll find their problem was that they weren't looking after their kids at all really ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30 Pussnboots

Of course it's illegal and the guards are required by law to report this to the nearest social work department, the process is known as CPN, as previously in a post before this the guard could lose his job if this comes to light in future

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,676 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Sparrow90 wrote: »
    This happened in supervalu Greystones. I'm not a journalist..haha

So we won't be reading an article about careless parenting in a national tabloid in the next week or so? Okay. All is good then.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Mr.Biscuits

phasers wrote: »
    My Dad used to leave us in the car [..]

Same here, all the time in fact.
    [..] but we're not retarded and never released the handbrake

Eh mm, I, well we .. Eastenders is just starting, gotta run.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭veronymus

A child needs to be looked after every single hour that they are awake. It is a shame that stuff like this happen but its too common in today's world

Yeah, as opposed to yesteryear when children were smoked all over on buses, in the cinema etc. when child seats did not exist, when you could cram as many into a car as you liked, when you travelled on school coaches without any seatbelts and were thrown to the front every time the bus stopped sharply. I could go on........

Yeah, really sucks to be a child in today's world

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Leaving kids unattended in cars is probably mildly worse than putting them into tumbledryers.

phasers wrote: »
    My Dad used to leave us in the car while he went to the bookies, but we're not retarded and never released the handbrake or touched any controls on the car because we knew it was dangerous.

Not that I recommend doing it though, it's bloody boring.

We used to be left in the car, one time I was "driving" it and the steering lock kicked in!

I thought that I'd broken it and scarpered! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

I would report the Ban Garda involved (assuming you have her name/ badge number), sounds like being a woman (and possibly a mother) she over-sympathised with the mother, and didnt do her job effectively.

(awaits barrage of abuse)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

That parent that left the kids in the car has probably felt sorry for the Parents of Madeline McCann and possibly went "Tut-Tut" for them leaving kids alone in a hotel bedroom!

...Now they do something similar - even in more public!

People are just stupid!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

I will occasionally leave the kids in the car when I nip in for a pint, but only if they are asleep. Leaving kids awake in a car is just downright irresponsible.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

I would report the Ban Garda involved (assuming you have her name/ badge number), sounds like being a woman (and possibly a mother) she over-sympathised with the mother, and didnt do her job effectively.

The term Ban Garda is obsolete. They are all (male & female members) called Garda now!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

Helen Lovejoy everybody, take a bow Helen.
    Look we all know kids are cute & entertaining & all but they'll grow up to be as big a shower of bastards as the rest of us.
    Mollycoddling creates as many problems & issues as poor parenting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Had to deal with the effects of some moron leaving a toddler alone in a van before,the kid was locked in and let off the handbrake,the car park is on a slope.Cue the van rolling down through the carpark with a screaming child inside as myself & 3 other guys tried to stop it before it went through the wall at the back of the supermarket.

I can't understand how someone could leave a toddler in a car and go off to do a grocery shop that would take almost an hour to complete.I don't mind someone nipping in for a paper or something and leaving the car within view but heading off into a supermarket and pretty much forgetting about the child is unforgivable.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭slarkin123

I wouldn't leave my dog in the car let alone the kids. My 2 sons are car mad and i know if they were left they'd be in the front seat and up to no good before i could make it to the shop door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    I will occasionally leave the kids in the car when I nip in for a pint, but only if they are asleep. Leaving kids awake in a car is just downright irresponsible.

You leave the kids in the car while you go for a pint?

Fuck me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

zerks wrote: »
    Had to deal with the effects of some moron leaving a toddler alone in a van before,the kid was locked in and let off the handbrake,the car park is on a slope.Cue the van rolling down through the carpark with a screaming child inside as myself & 3 other guys tried to stop it before it went through the wall at the back of the supermarket.

I can't understand how someone could leave a toddler in a car and go off to do a grocery shop that would take almost an hour to complete.I don't mind someone nipping in for a paper or something and leaving the car within view but heading off into a supermarket and pretty much forgetting about the child is unforgivable.

jesus, that's horrendous- apart from the obvious danger of leaving a curious toddler alone in a van for the guts of an hour, i'd be terrified of him suffocating to death in the heat :(

You're always hearing horrible stories of stuff like that happening to little ones, imagine if something happened to hold up the parent in the shopping centre, the kid could easily fry in the temps we've had this week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Child neglect is an offence, suprised the Garda didn't know that.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

You leave the kids in the car while you go for a pint?

Fuck me.

Pretty sure Safe Surfer was joking :rolleyes:

My childminder used to leave myself and her two kids in the car while she did the weekly shop, we would've been 9, 8 and 5, although she did it for a few years so ages varied. She'd lock all the doors, we could open the windows if we wanted (no electric ones back then!), we generally just sat there getting bored and annoying each other. I think the longest we were alone in the car was 2 hours, I remember it stretching on forever while I had to tolerate her awful son.

• Advertisement

Acoshla wrote: »
    Pretty sure Safe Surfer was joking :rolleyes:

My childminder used to leave myself and her two kids in the car while she did the weekly shop, we would've been 9, 8 and 5, although she did it for a few years so ages varied. She'd lock all the doors, we could open the windows if we wanted (no electric ones back then!), we generally just sat there getting bored and annoying each other. I think the longest we were alone in the car was 2 hours, I remember it stretching on forever while I had to tolerate her awful son.

eh, hope you mentioned it to your parents? she was getting paid while you were locked up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭DirtyBollox

We used to be left in the car, one time I was "driving" it and the steering lock kicked in!

I thought that I'd broken it and scarpered! :eek:

i did that loads of times and never said anything to anyone about it. my kid logic at the time was surprised that i lived through the day!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭du Maurier

It is an extremely serious and stupid thing to leave children that age unattended, whether in a car or anywhere else. Something could happen to the parent e.g. knocked unconscious or the like and the children would be left stranded for god knows how long. Contact the HSE and report it. It amounts to child neglect and they will send a social worker out to investigate.

Cop on and get a little perspective. There's no need for a social worker to investigate this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

There is no such thing as a Ban Garda anymore.

eh, hope you mentioned it to your parents? she was getting paid while you were locked up.

Yep but that was in the 90's when you could do things like that to kids :p We could've easily gotten out if we wanted to by opening the door out the window.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

This is my contribution to the thread...

Acoshla wrote: »
    Yep but that was in the 90's when you could do things like that to kids :p We could've easily gotten out if we wanted to by opening the door out the window.

ah yeah, the being left alone this by your parents (as I said in the other thread) was fair enough back then, but I would have thought your childminder would've known better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,170 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

zerks wrote: »

Jesus Christ - that's awful! The parent was an idiot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Put a ginger wig on them and nobody will steal them! they might still be able to release the handbrake though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭scholar007

More people like dogs over children?

Something I can never get my head around - you need a licence to keep a dog but any neanderthal gets more mikey money the more kids they churn out whether they care for them adequately or not - No licence or suitability test.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

This is my contribution to the thread...

Mmm, GILFy

ah yeah, the being left alone this by your parents (as I said in the other thread) was fair enough back then, but I would have thought your childminder would've known better.

My childminder was thick as sh*t, by the time I was 10 she used to leave me babysitting her son while her and her 11 year old went down town, the final straw.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 MickCol

Was the Gard tall and dark hair? If so not surprised, have had a number of dealings with her before and she is useless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

The Garda will likely forward a report of the incident to the HSE who will deal with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

MagicSean wrote: »
    The Garda will likely forward a report of the incident to the HSE who will deal with it.

Or won't deal with it.
    They have a massive backlog and most cases don't get looked into properly.
    But that's a different matter.

• Advertisement
Advertisement