Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

which nappies to buy for a newborn?

Options
  • 29-05-2012 6:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

hi mums and dads!

due my first baby any day now and need to go and buy the nappies.
    are any brand preferable to others?
    the lidl and aldi ones seem to be the cheapest but do they work well ?
    are certain brands more waterproof / less likely to be associated with nappy rash?
    and how many shall i buy to start off with?

thanks so much!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I have always used Aldi/Lidl and find they really good as are the Boots newborn ones.

I know some people swear by the brands like Huggies and Pampers but for value for money you can't beat the aldi/lidl versions. I think Lidl nappies have won awards from some of the UK parenting magazines too.

Personally I always found Pampers to be rubbish, no staying power and no match for young baby poo ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

I love the Tescos brand, found the Pampers ones leaked alot.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nicowa

We only used the Tesco ones with our newborn. Only now using Pampers as a night time nappy for 12 hr sleeps - @ 5 mths.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

In our experience boots own brand are best for newborns.
    Huggies leaked,lidl nappies caused a severe allergic reaction,pampers were the 2nd best.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭doubletrouble?

we used tesco's as well starting off and found them great. and it's all thanks to the posts and threads here :D. but as i said that was just starting off. as the twins grew out of the newborn size we switched to pampers and haven't looked back. like alot of posters here we generally look out for the specials.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

I hated pampers, found they leaked like crazy. Loved the huggies organic cotton newborn ones. I didn't try the boots/tesco or others so can't comment there!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

We used the Pampers newborn and didnt have any trouble with them and they are lovely and soft on the skin. Dont like huggies, find them a bit hard.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

We used pampers newborn and found them brilliant, although in the early days you could be running through a fair amount of nappies if your little one poops a lot, which can be expensive. Our PHN advised us that during the night, if the baba hadn't pooed then not to bother changing a nappy at every feed (obviously if the nappy is soaked then you'd need to change it). So what we did was we used the Lidl nappies, Toujours is what I think they're called, during the day when there'd be more frequent changes and when it was bed time we'd stick a pampers newborn on him which would usually see him through from about 11pm to 7am.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Tried Pampers, Huggies and Tesco's own brand. When he really cut loose, nothing was going to hold it in (seriously, out the legs, up the back, I'm surprised it wasn't coming out his ears once or twice, it was like a firecracker going off in a large tub of kiwi/banana yoghurt...), but the Pampers did the best job (and Tesco the worst). We did prefer the Huggies for the first week or so though, because of that cutout in the waistline that let us snug the nappy up without snagging his cord.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I always use tesco newborn, i used aldi last week, they were fine but leeked pee during the night. So, I bought a box of simply dry size 3 for the nights and ill stick with the tesco ones during the day. For the 20 month old i use tesco/lidl during the day, pampers at night 7-9am.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭fjon

Do Aldi and Lidl do size 1 nappies? Don't think I've ever seen them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

fjon wrote: »
    Do Aldi and Lidl do size 1 nappies? Don't think I've ever seen them.

I was looking for them too but they only seem to start at size 3 from what I can see

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I checked this evening; lidl's nappies start from size 3 which are from 4kg. I think most babies weigh around 4kg within a month to 6 weeks of birth.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 saffron77

Aldi do size ones- they are called mamia.We have found them to be excellent and not as bulky as Pampers. Pampers are on special offer in some supermarkets now- 7 euro for a jumbo box.Think it works out about 7 cent a nappy. We use both- Aldi and Pampers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

Tried huggies - like someone else found them a but hard
    Tried lidl brand (toujour) and they ok but her skin a bit damper with wee with these so I don't think as good at wicking it away
    Tried pampers and find them the best
    But as someone said... There's some things that just can't be kept in...!! I find lidl actually better at preventing poo leaks than pampers! But then pampers keeps her drier so prevents rash... It's a toss up!!

Advertisement