Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arts results

• 29-05-2012 6:39pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭

I would like some feedback on the kind of results people get in Arts. Is it usual to get 70% in essays and exams. Is getting over 80% considered good?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

I wouldn't say getting over 70% is usual. Getting 70% and upwards is considered excellent (a 1.1). I think the majority of people get a 2.1 (60 - 69%). Getting over 80% is rather unheard of from what I can gather.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 705 ✭✭✭keepkeyyellow

I would love to live in your world eternal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

No, it's not usual for most people to get 70%+ consistently in exams and essay. I only broke the 70 mark a handful of times in 6 years in college. When I was doing exams and essays I always felt like I was being marked out of 70 instead of 100. I never even heard of someone getting 80% or over.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

I would love to live in your world eternal.
    Ah hang on, I've only gotten 70% and over four times so far. I'm going into second year next year. And when I was looking at test results I could see loads of others getting over 70%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

I just completed a Single Honours in BA3 and the average was around 58% for each assignment throughout both years with the same class

• Advertisement

OP, what subjects are you doing? I just finished BA1 too!:P

And I was delighted that I got the highest mark for a failure in my last exam....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Byron85

It obviously varies according to your subject choices and how much you enjoy what you're doing.

I just finished 3rd year Arts with a major in Sociology and the lowest mark I got, thus far, was 66%. The highest I got was 80% and believe me, when I saw that mark I had to do a double-take.

I minored in Psychology and I found them to be very tough markers. I've not once received a result i've been happy with from them. It consistently brings my average down which is a complete and utter nuisance.

I think I may not do as well in my exams. But there were definitely very high scores this year in Arts, except for one subject which was marked very hard. Looking at the score sheet it is possible to see many getting over 70% except for Celtic Civilisation where a lot of people failed. Is that subject usually that difficult?

eternal wrote: »
    I think I may not do as well in my exams. But there were definitely very high scores this year in Arts, except for one subject which was marked very hard. Looking at the score sheet it is possible to see many getting over 70% except for Celtic Civilisation where a lot of people failed. Is that subject usually that difficult?

Can I ask what your sources are? Waiting on my results too :P

And yes, Celtic Civ is that difficult...I changed subjects having endured 3 or 4 lectures in it. It's very "heavy" reading-wise, I know a few people who did it for the whole year and they despised it!

• Advertisement

_meehan_ wrote: »

Can I ask what your sources are? Waiting on my results too :P

And yes, Celtic Civ is that difficult...I changed subjects having endured 3 or 4 lectures in it. It's very "heavy" reading-wise, I know a few people who did it for the whole year and they despised it!
    My source is the exam results which are posted on public notice boards in the various departments. Think I alluded to that in my post.

My source is the exam results which are posted on public notice boards in the various departments. Think I alluded to that in my post.

Now where would one find the results for English I wonder....

No not really, I didn't know the departments would put up score sheets on their notice boards! I wasn't trying to discredit what you were saying by the way, I was just curious!:P The waiting is killer...another week to go!

O

No not really, I didn't know the departments would put up score sheets on their notice boards! I wasn't trying to discredit what you were saying by the way, I was just curious!:P The waiting is killer...another week to go!
    They just put up results with the student number, no names so nobody would know individual results. Arts are last results out I think. Bit of a wait alright.

O
    They just put up results with the student number, no names so nobody would know individual results. Arts are last results out I think. Bit of a wait alright.

Yeah I had results for a project during the year released that way. Good luck anyway, I'm sure you'll do fine!

O

Yeah I had results for a project during the year released that way. Good luck anyway, I'm sure you'll do fine!
    You too!

Hello all

Results are out for me right now. 2nd year 50 credits major student.

Hope they went ok for you! Mine aren't out until tomorrow :(

Hello all

Results are out for me right now. 2nd year 50 credits major student.
    How did they go, tell all!

WELL. I passed everything and if I had handed up essays on time I would have gotten a 2.1 over a 2.2 and perhaps could have gotten a 1.1 if I cared more.

• Advertisement

WELL. I passed everything and if I had handed up essays on time I would have gotten a 2.1 over a 2.2 and perhaps could have gotten a 1.1 if I cared more.
    Well done! Be proud of yourself.

First year results are up! Got the 2.1! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Byron85

I bagged a first class honours degree with a major in sociology. My dissertation also won the departmental prize for best final year dissertation/project.

If anyone wants sociology grinds then hit me up. Reasonable rates, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭IHeartChemistry

Byron85 wrote: »
    I bagged a first class honours degree with a major in sociology. My dissertation also won the departmental prize for best final year dissertation/project.

If anyone wants sociology grinds then hit me up. Reasonable rates, etc.

Jaysus... well done :eek: Thats amazing! :D

Meanwhile... I've the two repeats I expected... Sociology and Philosophy :pac: Be grand shure :D Boyfriend will help with Philosophy and Mom will help with the Sociology! Fingers crossed anyways!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Jaysus... well done :eek: Thats amazing! :D

Meanwhile... I've the two repeats I expected... Sociology and Philosophy :pac: Be grand shure :D Boyfriend will help with Philosophy and Mom will help with the Sociology! Fingers crossed anyways!

Best of luck with it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭closeline

I have a module to repeat. Essay was worth 40% and exam worth 60%. I got 40% in my essay but did not get enough marks in my exam to pass overall. I got 40% in the essay so it will be carried forward so I will only have to re sit exam. However, this 40% included a 10% penalty so in reality the essay was more than 40%. Should I not have a choice to do the essay again even if I passed it. It would be easier to pass the repeats if I got 39% in essay or didn't hand it in at all..doesn't make sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Byron85 wrote: »

Like a sir.

feel_like_a_sir_meme_comic_sticker-p217688010494102854bah05_400.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭IHeartChemistry

closeline wrote: »
    I have a module to repeat. Essay was worth 40% and exam worth 60%. I got 40% in my essay but did not get enough marks in my exam to pass overall. I got 40% in the essay so it will be carried forward so I will only have to re sit exam. However, this 40% included a 10% penalty so in reality the essay was more than 40%. Should I not have a choice to do the essay again even if I passed it. It would be easier to pass the repeats if I got 39% in essay or didn't hand it in at all..doesn't make sense.

:confused: By the sounds of it, you needed to pass the CA, which you did. So why would you wanna re do an essay and make life harder for yourself?

What year are you in?

• Advertisement

From what I remember you're doing Arts. In arts modules across the board, if you fail a module, passed elements of continuous assessment will be brought forward and any failed elements must be repeated. Frankly I think this is the best way to do it.

If you did fail the essay, and then the exam, you'd have to repeat both so how would that be easier? Either way it'll be capped at 40% no matter what

Advertisement