Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Asking if you have a job in September

• 29-05-2012 6:50pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So with school finishing up on Friday (class wise, I mean), as a temporary teacher, I find myself unsure of what I'll be doing in September. When I joined the school back in March, I was told we'd go till the summer and see how I got on. We'd wait till now before seeing if there was a position for me next term.

I tend to be a non-confrontationalist so I was wondering...am I ok going to the principal and asking him if he plans on bringing me back in come September? How does it usually work for people on part time hours? I don't like asking in case he's decided to go with someone else and plans on just not calling me, but whats the general procedure with asking about hours next year? Will they get in touch with me in August?

Yes, this may seem a straight forward situation for some but I've only just got this job, it's my first, and I don't want to appear arrogant by making it seem as if I think I'm definitly coming back in September. So again, what's the standard procedure for temp. teachers and being told if the job is there come September?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Of course you should ask. It's not arrogance. You were told that they would see what the story is around this time. The principal might not necessarily know yet whether there are hours available for you but definitely no harm in asking. It's always good to show that you're eager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 269 ✭✭bearhugs

I would just go and ask the principal, he probably knows that you would like to know where you stand for next year anyway. Just ask him if he has any idea if there will be any hours for you next year and see how it goes. He may not be sure yet or may be waiting to see what happens with redeployment, but at least you'll get a better idea and also he'll know you're anxious to know. There would be nothing wrong with asking him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

Yes, you should definately ask him, thats what all the part timer people in my school so anyway, the principal doesnt always know the answer but at least you will know if there is any chance of hours next year versus no chance at all !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Chilli Con Kearney

Hi guys

I asked this question in another thread but no answer there. This is more relevant.

Is it not the case that the principal knows the allocations already? Were they not given in February? If so, then a response of "I don't know what hours I have yet" to the OPs question would be a spoof. Maybe I have this allocation thing wrong though...?? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

Hi guys

I asked this question in another thread but no answer there. This is more relevant.

Is it not the case that the principal knows the allocations already? Were they not given in February? If so, then a response of "I don't know what hours I have yet" to the OPs question would be a spoof. Maybe I have this allocation thing wrong though...?? :confused:

I know in my school that on the day we broke up last year two teachers even got presentations because they were leaving having lost their jobs. Both were back in September after extra hours had emerged which had not been known about even at the end of May. Even though Principals probably have a good heads-up on allocations for the following year, I imagine there are still some unknown factors in the month of February which might affect teachers' jobs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

Principals know the basic allocation but they all appeal and look for hours for special needs, foreign nationals (newly arrived with language difficulties) etc....and they dont know exactly how timetables will pan out so maybe there will be hours in french (for example) that wont fit onto the french teachers timetable and might be available for you....its not totally cut and dried by now...my principal usually tells those she knows she has no hours for in May and tells the others she will let then know as soon as she knows (thank god I am not in that camp anymore !!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,387 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Hi guys

Principal's do appeal to get more hours/ to get the cut in allocation reduced. A couple of years ago we were told in February that our cut was 7 teachers :eek: which was equiavalent to about 10 part time teachers at the time. It ended up being 3, which was a still a lot but not as bad as 7.

Principals won't have subject choice finalised for fifth years at that stage either, so won't know how the timetable will pan out and may not have accurate numbers for incoming first years. A lot of schools only have their enrolment for new first years in February/March. Lots of variables. That and of course retirements. Some teachers let it be known months in advance that they are going, some leave it til August, and suddenly hours become available.

Advertisement