Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I Found an Xbox(Seriously)

• 29-05-2012 8:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭

As the title says I found an xbox360.
    There it was sitting on a wall as I was passing minding my own business early this morning.
    It doesnt have any leads or controllers and I think its a fat model.
    What do ye recommend I do lads?
    I dont know any one with an xbox to test it(everyones got ps3 or wii) and I dont want to spend a fortune on leads and a controller only to discover its a pile of crap.
    It has a 6 pin 12v mains connection so I cant even turn it on.
    Any suggestions would be appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭ugglasdav

i think someone left it on the wall for a reason, to be honest i wouldnt go spending money to figure out that they put it there because the xbox its self is faulty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

abandoned after a breakin to some ones house maybe :confused:

I'm sure if that was the case the owner would be happy to see it back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Realy sounds like there was a burgler involved

Those are heavy beasts to carry around and you won't get much money second hand plus they have serial codes so you don't want to be stopped with it.
    Not the kind of thing a burglar wants so likely just ditched it. They want light stuff, cash, jewelry, etc. Not bulky electronics

Ring up the local garda station and give them a heads up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭senorwipesalot

calex71 wrote: »
    abandoned after a breakin to some ones house maybe :confused:

I'm sure if that was the case the owner would be happy to see it back.
    I thought about that possibility too.What am I to do,go around door to door?
    It doesnt look new either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭-=al=-

An angry gamer had enough with the RROD

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

Why wouldn't your first thought be to try and find the owner?? Yes you say knocking on doors is not viable but you could put up some sheets to say it was found. Or you could contact microsoft and see if the serial number was ever registered to an address, they would probably not give you the details for DPA reasons but could contact the owner on your behalf

The serial number is found behind the flap at the lower front of the console or at the back of it, see here if unsure.

I thought about that possibility too.What am I to do,go around door to door?
    It doesnt look new either.

If someones place was robbed then they would have reported it to the Gardaí I would say, maybe give them a call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭senorwipesalot

Right I logged it with the guards but the duty seargent didnt seem to care less.
    Jesus lads, yere like a nagging wife:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,870 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Ebay would be a good spot to grab spare cables, I'm sure lots of people have had RROD and have useless cables laying around the house. Maybe if you took it into gamestop and got them to plug it in to see if it works, they prob sell cables then too if it does work.

If you do get it on there is a good chance it will have gamertag logged in on it and with some detective work your could track down the owner. (maybe if there is a small local shop you could ask if there has been a lot of break ins in the area try that direction)

If not then keep it safe in the knowledge you did your best to get it back to the owner.

Right I logged it with the guards but the duty seargent didnt seem to care less.
    Jesus lads, yere like a nagging wife:D

AH karma and all that, what if it was yours? That said, now you've done your bit you can hope the gards don't do squat and enjoy your new xbox guilt free ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Is there a danger of powering it up & it signs into XBL, you could end up with a charge for possession of stolen goods? :p Unlikely, but if its reported stolen you never know?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

EnterNow wrote: »
    Is there a danger of powering it up & it signs into XBL, you could end up with a charge for possession of stolen goods? :p Unlikely, but if its reported stolen you never know?

Surely the OP is covered now they informed the garda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Surely the OP is covered now they informed the garda.

Perhaps yeah. Did the Guards keep the console OP or did you telephone in? In all likelihood the console is borked

Edit - says RobbieTheRobber lol

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Browning2010

You werent battered after picking it up know?:D

I remember a story from a few years ago were this lad was walking home after a night out and he seen an xbox (in the box) along the side of the road, he went over and picked it with the intention of bringing it home seen as there was no one around(Or so he taught).

When he picked it up a group of lads came out of nowere and kicked the sh1t of him, sounds a bit far fetched but swear on my life its true.

Thats why I'd be very wary of just picking something like that up its like the time a mate of mines brother was driving home from training one night and as he was coming up the road he saw a line of chairs across the road, he got out to move them when 2 lads jumped out of the ditch and into his car and away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

You werent battered after picking it up know?:D

I remember a story from a few years ago were this lad was walking home after a night out and he seen an xbox (in the box) along the side of the road, he went over and picked it with the intention of bringing it home seen as there was no one around(Or so he taught).

When he picked it up a group of lads came out of nowere and kicked the sh1t of him, sounds a bit far fetched but swear on my life its true.

Thats why I'd be very wary of just picking something like that up its like the time a mate of mines brother was driving home from training one night and as he was coming up the road he saw a line of chairs across the road, he got out to move them when 2 lads jumped out of the ditch and into his car and away with it.

That made me laugh.
    It's a tough world alright.

Browning's mates gullible idiots or wrong place wrong time......?:D