Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCU 2012 Accommodation Thread **MOD WARNING POST #48**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Cardor

Nitsuj wrote: »
    So when are we going to get room offers? I signed up for DCU accommodation and put Larkfield as the first preferance (I hear they don't really care about that though). I accepted the CAO offer to do comp apps in DCU.

Oh and I hear the people who got 500+ points get it first?
    I was eligible for the HEAR scheme, btw.

Should I wait a little longer or look for an apartment somewhere else?

Hey, you should get your offer some time this week, if you're eligible! I was on HEAR too, I got the subsidised accomodation, so I was guaranteed it! Wait until the end of the week before applying somewhere else and yes people who get over 500 points get first preference!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 silleekitee

Hey guys anyone looking to share a house off- campus?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 silleekitee

ghpeople wrote: »
    Hey all,

Anyone looking for a single room in Drumcondra area?

Houseshare with 2 others. House is in great nick, new kitchen, decent living space. In quiet residential area, opposite Ivy House; off the main road but within 5 minutes walk of main bus routes. 15 minute walk to town.

€400 p/m, with €400 deposit.
    PM if you want more details.

Viewing from next Monday - August 27th.
    Hey I am interested! what year are you in?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 mboland19

So is Hazelwood ok to live in as a first year??? Applied for campus acc but doubt I'll get it. Don't want to be isolated if it's too far away from DCU . Are there many other DCU students there, first years especially??? Is there a bus direct to DCU from there???😳😳

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Hi all,

Double room available for 9month lease (from 1st September) for €350 to share with 3 others in a 4-bed semi-detached house. The house is on Deanswift road (behind the Spar opposite the Ballymum entrance) and no more than 5 minutes walk into DCU (that's a real 5 minutes not an estate agents 5 minutes btw)...

The house is newly decorated, clean and pretty big. We're 3 pretty easy-going guys, have lived in the area before and it's pretty nice location really, close to everything but still away from the main road and noise.

If you've got any questions at all or you're interested send me a PM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 mboland19

Yer_Wan wrote: »
    I stayed in Larkfield (on campus) this year. Its the first year accom, and generally where you end up of you apply for campus, regardless of what you put down in your preferences.

I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. Many will disagree i'm sure but many more will agree when i say that it is a depressive, overpriced, noisy, smelly dungeon of a place similar to what you would imagine a prison cell.

You're Only sharing with one person and if you don't get along with that person, it can put a dampener on the whole year.

I suppose the positives are that you get to know lots of first years in the same boat as you and theres loadsa parties and stuff. But thats probably it.

I lived in Larkfield last year too, and Jesus I was never happier to leave a place than I was when I closed the door for the last time on May 27th.

In a mirror to the above comment, my room mate and I didn't get on AT ALL. Ok, we shared civil words together, but when you come home and the first thing they do is lock their door, it gets depressing.

Second, mid-year a friend who lived in Larkfield, with whom I spent a lot of time, and I fell out, so I ended the year sitting in my room alone watching DVDs and listening to Adele while trying to entice Larkfield Cat into my room (oh yeah, Larkfield has a few cats around)

Enough on that.

I've spent a few nights in Shanowen, and from experience it's miles better than Larkfield. For one thing, you actually have your own bathroom, which eliminates the 'GET OUT OF THE F**KING BATHROOM' shouting matches which are inevitable when living with other girls. As well as this, you can move about in the kitchen. The kitchen in Larkfield is a glorified triangle, and if you can fit five people into one of them, I'll give you my life savings.

And, there are couches. Larkfield have none of that. It also doesn't have the freedom to bring a non-resident into the place after midnight. Shanowen be sound like that.

I myself am (hopefully) going into JR2, and have applied for Halls with two classmates. You can apply with a friend, otherwise it's completely random picking.

Rant over, you'll be glad to hear. :)

Hi Aoife.
    So what about hazelwood/gateway ???
    Keep hearing mixed reviews on both!

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Laura says

mboland19 wrote: »
    So is Hazelwood ok to live in as a first year??? Applied for campus acc but doubt I'll get it. Don't want to be isolated if it's too far away from DCU . Are there many other DCU students there, first years especially??? Is there a bus direct to DCU from there???😳😳

I lived in hazelwood last year as a first year, and it was fine. . although I wouldn't do it again. Firstly it is quite a distance from dcu. . about 20/25 minute walk at a moderate pace. . . also, regardless of what they advertise, its not purely student accommodation, and the students that are there seem to be mostly dit students, so as dcu'er it's more difficult to meet people as opposed to campus, shanowen or even gateway.
    The 17a passes by the apartment complex and will leave you at the top of collins avenue, about a 3 minute walk to dcu.
    Saying all that, i never had any real problems living in hazelwood, the apartments were nice and reasonable sized with your own bathroom and there was never a problem with overnight guest or anything, and it is the cheapest of all the other typical dcu student apartments (shanowen or gateway)
    For me though the cons just outweighed the pros, but everybody is different :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28 EmmaDoc

Anyone looking to share off campus accommodation, wana team up with a student for a house share! 1st years would be great:D please get back to me by PM, thanks :D

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭AnnaKin

hi! I applied for Larkfield but after hearing NOTHING but bad reviews of it I'm second guessing if i should accept it should I get it tomorrow. Anybody else like me? :pac: because if i dont get it I might go for gateway or look into house sharing!

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Nitsuj

I'm completely confused.

Aren't the offers for on campus tomorrow? A friend on fb just said he got an offer. The hell is happening?

• Advertisement

I'm completely confused.

Aren't the offers for on campus tomorrow? A friend on fb just said he got an offer. The hell is happening?

i am too, just got an offer myself!

AnnaKin wrote: »
    i am too, just got an offer myself!
    Did you get over 500 points?

Did you get over 500 points?

Nope, 475!

Nope, 475!
    What the actual ****. I don't understand how this works. I thought everyone who got under 475 is going to be in a lottery and will have equal chances to get a room.

I cant say i know either :confused: theres four people i know, including me who just got offers and as far as i know none got over 500 so :o

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭smeal

Stay calm guys you'll get an email whether you're accepted or not anyways by the latest tomorrow afternoon. I can imagine they have a lot of emails to get through. DCU Campus Res are odd at the best of times.

smeal wrote: »
    Stay calm guys you'll get an email whether you're accepted or not anyways by the latest tomorrow afternoon. I can imagine they have a lot of emails to get through. DCU Campus Res are odd at the best of times.
    Umm, would I have to be quick about it though, like make a payment very quickly? Like if I don't make a payment immediately someone else would take my offer?

well, mine says i have till the 28th so! i guess that is quick for such a large amount of money :o

well, mine says i have till the 28th so! i guess that is quick for such a large amount of money :o
    No, I meant like minutes quick. Like if you don't put down a deposit in a few minutes you're skipped. I hope I don't have to sit by the computer all day today and tomorrow.

well if thats the case i'm missing out :pac: be grand, they cant be that ridiculous about it all!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭dubdub123

Has anyone got an offer of the subsidised accommodation yet? Or was anyone that got accomodation a HEAR/DCU Access student?

How are you finding out about offers - email /phone call ? Or is there a student login ?

I just accepted the DCU Access offer. Will there be a bigger chance of me getting accommodation with it?

I just accepted the DCU Access offer. Will there be a bigger chance of me getting accommodation with it?

No, unless your offer was for subsidised accommodation, you have just as much chance as every1 else getting it. You get free accommodation when you go up for the access orientation week though. I'm going up as an assistant to show you all around, and we get it free too. Last year I had subsidised accom so naturally I knew I was getting an offer but as I said, if you don't have it, you're in the same position as every1 else!

Cardor wrote: »
    No, unless your offer was for subsidised accommodation, you have just as much chance as every1 else getting it. You get free accommodation when you go up for the access orientation week though. I'm going up as an assistant to show you all around, and we get it free too. Last year I had subsidised accom so naturally I knew I was getting an offer but as I said, if you don't have it, you're in the same position as every1 else!
    Don't want to go offtopic here, but apart from the obligatory tour of the place, what else is going to happen during them 4 days (it's 4 days I think, innit? A pretty long time).

Don't want to go offtopic here, but apart from the obligatory tour of the place, what else is going to happen during them 4 days (it's 4 days I think, innit? A pretty long time).

It's a bit off topic, so i'll pm ya what happens!

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭dubdub123

Has anyone heard back about the subsidised accommodation yet? My daughter filled in paperwork earlier in the year and was accepted on DCU Access. She got that email and returned the signed form for HEAR and DCU ACCESS, but when should she know bout this ? Any of those offers through yet ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 alittlelamb

Hey guys! So completely unsure as to whether or not this is the right place to put this, but there's a room to rent in the house I'll be living in next year. It's SMALL, so is going to be 210e monthly, on a 9 month lease. There are 6 of us living there already, 5 girls and 1 guy: 3 final year Communications, 1 final year Law, 1 2nd year Health & Society, 1 3rd year Computer Applications. The room has a single bed and wardrobe, space for a wee bedside table but not a desk, hence the crazy low rent. If anyone's interested or has any questions just message me! :)
    xSarah

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Creidim

Just received my offer for Larkield but I'm slighty confused!

When I printed the contract it said that the Booking deposit/Utilities charge both had to have been paid by August 15th???

I know it's probs just a typo but I just need some reassurance.. :p

Anyone else seeing that?

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Zhavey

Got accepted for my place in Larkfield. :) Now to find €2.7k in a week. :( Is there anything that can be done to help financially (like spreading out the costs etc.) or is this just only for Access students?

• Advertisement

Creidim wrote: »
    Just received my offer for Larkield but I'm slighty confused!

When I printed the contract it said that the Booking deposit/Utilities charge both had to have been paid by August 15th???

I know it's probs just a typo but I just need some reassurance.. :p

Anyone else seeing that?

It must be a typo because that was the deadline for 2nd year students. I had to have mine paid for by then for Hampstead. I think your deadline is August 28! I'm not sure though. Just e-mail campus res about it!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement