Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCU 2012 Accommodation Thread **MOD WARNING POST #48**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Zhavey

Just to double confirm that, it says for me my deadline to pay is 28th of August, just before 3pm. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭dubdub123

I didn't say any payment plan for access students. Aren't they treated the same as everyone else (unless they happen to get one of the spots that are subsidised). Is there a payment plan for access students? Have any ACCESS DCU places being assigned yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 mboland19

Yeah I applied for larkfield too but hearing rotten stuff about and watched a you tube video of it that was off putting to say the least . Went to view Hazelwood today. Was hesitant before going cos had read it was a long distance from dcu but gina in reception was really friendly and helpful and told me a short cut through a residential estate . Rooms grand and ensuite a bonus plus sharing with 3 others has to be better than just one other as in larkfield . Costs coffee, mc Donald's , Aldi and gym right across the road so to be honest even if I get offered larkfield I'm tempted to take hazelwood .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭stephenl15

Any idea what time first years are due to receive our room offers tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Cardor

stephenl15 wrote: »
    Any idea what time first years are due to receive our room offers tomorrow?

Anytime throughout the day, some offers were given out today.

• Advertisement

Ok thanks:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 coffeehead

I'm interested in living in Hazelwood with fellow students also. I'll be a fresher going to study Applied Languages and Intercultural Studies in DCU, so looking for somewhere affordable with a 9 month lease. Also, having a minimum of 2 people to one bathroom or more than 2 bathrooms would be great. If you get back in touch, pm me and i'll forward my email to discuss things more. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Simon8226

If you have got HEAR have you any advantage on getting on campus accommodation?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 EmmaDoc

Hey there, any 1st year girls wana share off campus accommodation? PM me please:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Merged some accommodation threads into this one. Remember to use this thread for all your accommodation queries :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Nitsuj

So, I just got an email that I didn't get on campus accomm.

I'm looking into Hazelwood, Gateway and Shanowen Hall. The prices are all similar, but how far are they from DCU? And in general, which one should I go for?

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭DeBlanka

Nitsuj wrote: »
    So, I just got an email that I didn't get on campus accomm.

I'm looking into Hazelwood, Gateway and Shanowen Hall. The prices are all similar, but how far are they from DCU? And in general, which one should I go for?

I'm in the same boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭smeal

Shanowen Hall is directly across from DCU just off Collins Avenue, literally a stones throw away but you'll need to be quick applying at this stage

aaaannd Gateway is defo closer than Hazelwood, just on the Ballymun road there, google maps them sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Gemma.93

I'm so confused,I got over the 500 mark in my Leaving so I thought I was guaranteed accommodation and I just got an email saying I was unsuccessful :confused:

That can't be right?

That can't be right?
    I got 535 and no accommodation, I am ridiculously confused!

Gemma.93 wrote: »
    I got 535 and no accommodation, I am ridiculously confused!
    Maybe so many people got over 500 that it was full up before the got below 500? I applied for campus but didnt get it, only got 420 though.

Maybe so many people got over 500 that it was full up before the got below 500? I applied for campus but didnt get it, only got 420 though.
    That's true as well but I've seen people on boards getting on campus with under 500 :S Sure no matter! Where are you looking for accommodation now?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 silleekitee

I just got an email to say i didnt get campus accommodation.. what do we do now?:confused:

Shanowen Hall is fully booked and a long waiting list, so that's a no-no. What's Gateway like? The only thing I'm worried about is that it's in Ballymun. I've heard bad things about that place.

Also, is there a wardrobe in each bedroom? The pictures only show one side of the room, with a bed and desk/chair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Grainne0c

Yeah im looking into Gateway aswell didnt get campus accomadation, sounds like a lot of people didnt get it!

Shanowen hall shouldn't be booked up yet, my friend only applied last friday. Shanowen square is definitely booked up though. If you can't get there, go to gateway, it's a bit of a walk but it's better than nothing. Hazelwood is good but it's quite far from DCU. I wouldn't worry about the Ballymun thing. A lot of people worry about that but it's never been a problem. Ballymun isn't the way it used to be. It's done up quite a bit now. We go up their the whole time to the chinese.

Well, I rang them up, and they pretty much told me to look for accommodation elsewhere, because the waiting list is so long. Shanowen hall is like right across the road, so it seems like it would be a popular spot. Shanowen Square is also close. Maybe those few days made all the difference between a few spots left and a long waiting list.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 louisecos

Got 525 points and was relying on getting campus accommodation but just received an email to say my application was unsuccessful. A few of my friends got in the 400s and got campus :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭polkabunny

mboland19 wrote: »
    Was hesitant before going cos had read it was a long distance from dcu but gina in reception was really friendly and helpful and told me a short cut through a residential estate .

If it's the "shortcut" I'm thinking about that one of my flatmates told me about, it's going around by Shanliss Road/Shanard Road/Shanowen Avenue as opposed to walking straight down Ballymun Road and turning onto Collins Avenue. It's not really shorter, but it is a nicer way to walk. :P

As for those going "Gateway but Ballymun ahhhhh!" - You're on the main road, you're practically living on top of the Garda station. Don't be stupid and wander into the Towers (pub), the actual towers (though they're being knocked down) and housing estates, especially at night. The area is fine, you have Firehouse pizza, Super Valu, and Tesco in the shopping centre beside you. You can get the 13 or the 4 to town, and the 17A to Blanchardstown Shopping Centre.

louisecos wrote: »
    Got 525 points and was relying on getting campus accommodation but just received an email to say my application was unsuccessful. A few of my friends got in the 400s and got campus :confused:
    I know the feeling :( I was a hundred percent sure we were guaranteed accommodation if we got over 500, even checked the website and everything today and that's what it said! Shanowen Hall still has spaces though

Gemma.93 wrote: »
    I know the feeling :( I was a hundred percent sure we were guaranteed accommodation if we got over 500, even checked the website and everything today and that's what it said! Shanowen Hall still has spaces though

Why don't you write to campus res and tell them that you should have gotten the accommodation due to you receiving over 500 points, and that you know people with less points, who got the accommodation. Like, what was the reasoning for it!?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 louisecos

I sent an e-mail to dcu residence office this morning but no reply yet :(

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭polkabunny

What Campus Res may have done is only allocated a certain number of places for students with over 500 points, then used the lottery system for giving out those places, same as with the remaining places reserved for other students.
    I had applied for on-campus last year, got refused, and I'm fairly delighted with it. The rooms are small and pokey, they feel cold and uninviting too! I know a guy in my class ended up with a bad case of damp from a radiator bursting or something, when he got his room back it reeked of damp still. Another guy I know had a small dehumidifier running a lot of the time in his room. Only handy thing is you're on campus really!

• Advertisement

Cardor wrote: »
    Why don't you write to campus res and tell them that you should have gotten the accommodation due to you receiving over 500 points, and that you know people with less points, who got the accommodation. Like, what was the reasoning for it!?
    Just did there and they want me to email through my exam results! So hopefully it gets sorted!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement