Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCU 2012 Accommodation Thread **MOD WARNING POST #48**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Simon8226

got this house up in drumcondra directly at DCU and PATS and its really cheap, 95 euro including bills and internet and stuff, we're not goin on campus cause i heard its a dump and I went up to this house today and its lovely, theres a double room in it and i need someone to share?

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Geographyhater

Is there many goin gateway!? I am!

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭DeBlanka

Is there many goin gateway!? I am!

Yup

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Zhavey

Officially a resident of Larkfield now. :P Delighted, mightn't be the most fanciest place in the world - but it will be the experience of a lifetime either way. Really can't wait!!

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Creidim

Zhavey wrote: »
    Officially a resident of Larkfield now. :P Delighted, mightn't be the most fanciest place in the world - but it will be the experience of a lifetime either way. Really can't wait!!

Same here! It's overpriced for what we're getting but the craic will be 90 :D

What are you studying? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Dearbhaile

Anybody at all stuck for a house?myself and my friend are trying to get somewhere neutral to pat's and Dcu but need 1/2 more journeyed,pm me ASAP if interested!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 49 fccallan

jenifa wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    looking for accommodation, think house share is realistically the best option for DCU.
    Im a girl ( prob obvious from my name..!) and would be looking to live in a quite house, other people can live in the party house. Any one else seeking similar..?! Will be first year in Economics, Politics and Law, but not interested in first year house training or alcoholic antics.

PM anyhow if you wish for similar home :)

hi :)
    id be interested in sharing a house! im going into 1st year athletic therapy and training in DCU and im not interested in any of that stuff either! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17 declan_man

Larkfielder here too cant wait!! :D

Studying Computer Applications myself. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28 EmmaDoc

anyone livin in the belfry apartments near dcu? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭iiHyPeRize

Anyone interested in sharing accommodation, I haven't really looked yet, apart from a few places on the internet. looking for a place not far away from DCU, as in 10mins walking distance maybe. I'm 18, going into my first year and if anyone is interested, PM me on this and we'll talk about it further.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Gilleyyy

hi iiHyPeRize..im also looking for accommodation for dcu ... pm me there :)

For the fellow Larkfieldians, I found this video. A good idea of what will be ours. :P http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3w95euSyoao (Dunno if this has been posted before but I'm sure someone will get use of it. :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Creidim

Zhavey wrote: »
    For the fellow Larkfieldians, I found this video. A good idea of what will be ours. :P http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3w95euSyoao (Dunno if this has been posted before but I'm sure someone will get use of it. :D)

Everyone gives out about what a ****hole it is, but I can't wait :p

Sure the craic will be 90, and if you think it's awful pokey then you'd need to get out more :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Cardor

I know a lot of people don't like it.. but I lived there last year and I had a great time! I never had one problem! The kitchen is definitely small, but we're students and at the end of the day only 2 people will be using it! I hated the shower though! That was awful! But the room is fine, I always had a good few people over. There's enough for 3-4 to sit on the bed, then there's 2 chairs, and a couple of people can sit on the floor. The common room is generally where most people go in semester 1 to drink or watch tv! You can have "parties", it just depends what your idea of a party is! Like we always had loud music and a few people over, the same goes for the common room, there was never a problem! It's when you have them after 11, you see problems arising. I doubt most people will be having them after then anyway, cuz you'll prob be going into the city around that time! You have to respect others, but when you don't, by having parties really late, that's when you run into problems with security. Not everybody likes to go out every night, some people go out on a monday others a thursday - everybody has a different night! The nights people don't go out, they have work to do, so they need quietness!

You really will have a great night there... the first and second Sundays are brilliant. That's when the Larkfield raves are on! You get free drink and pizza and also get to meet new people!

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭dubdub123

should the students move in the on the Sunday? I might have a problem bringing my daughter up that day but can get here there on the Monday. Is Sunday the big "moving in" day ? Also, will she get the room that was in the accommodation email or might she be moved? She's up on the second floor which would be perfect for her but if she doesn't arrive til Monday is there a risk that she'll miss out on that spot?

dubdub123 wrote: »
    should the students move in the on the Sunday? I might have a problem bringing my daughter up that day but can get here there on the Monday. Is Sunday the big "moving in" day ? Also, will she get the room that was in the accommodation email or might she be moved? She's up on the second floor which would be perfect for her but if she doesn't arrive til Monday is there a risk that she'll miss out on that spot?

No that's the day you can "start" moving in and it's also the day when most students move in. It could be classified as the big moving day, in the sense that so many people are moving in, and everyone is in the same boat, but you can move in any day that week, once you have all your accommodation fees paid. She won't get moved around at all, that's her room now for the year. Unless a problem arises with the room (damage etc.), there's no chance of her moving.

The only good thing about the first day, is during the night, the SU have a party (The Larkfield Rave) in the courtyard, which is really good for getting to know people. There'll be a second one anyway, the following anyway, so it's no big deal, if she can't come up. If you're coming up Monday, she'll still be in time for orientation week, so she won't be missing anything important.

You may have already received it in the post, but here's a copy of the orientation schedule for communication studies!

http://www4.dcu.ie/students/orientation/schedule/communication-studies.shtml

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭sarahguitar92

Got into Larkfield, can't wait to start! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24 BrainL

still havent got back from Larkfield , is there much point in waiting about or should I look elsewhere?

Looking forward to the rave... :)

All offers were sent out nearly this time last week, and the deadline for paying a week from when you got the email. :( Probably best to start searching before everything is gone - I got an email from Hazelwood Student Accommodation that there is a limited number of places , so there might be a good bet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭dubdub123

Great thanks for the info and the orientation schedule, she wasn't sure if it was starting Monday or Wednesday so that's grand. Think we may have to go with the Monday for move in day so hopefully she won't miss too much getting to know people at the rave the Sunday night. Thanks for all the help !

• Registered Users Posts: 24 BrainL

applied for that Hazelwoods one, thanks. If anyone else knows any suitable ones please post it,cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭bobjimmy

dubdub123 wrote: »

How do you know what floor your on?

bobjimmy wrote: »
    How do you know what floor your on?

It says on your lease..

G = Ground floor (all boys)
    1 = 1st/middle floor (all girls)
    2 = 2nd/top floor (mixed, but roommate will be of the same gender)

For example V147a. The V means larkfield, the 1 means the middle floor, 47 is your accom number and a is your room.

VG12b. V is larkfield, G is ground floor, 12 is accom number and b is room number/letter!

• Registered Users Posts: 39 lulufinn90

im heading into my final year this year.
    i would say gateway or shanowen. larkfield is more or less like living in a prison. its handy if you want to be in the centre of everything but its overpriced smells weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 niamhw123

hey.. myself and my friend are going into first year DCU and looking for accommodation. anyone have a room or two in a house or want to look for a house with us pm me.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭lavine7

Hi all,

I have a house on Collins Avenue (just across the road from DCU, for those familiar with the campus it is across from the Nursing building) with a double and single room free that would suit 2 ppl moving in. Currently myself and 2 girls in the house at the moment.

PM if interested. I expect to get the house filled by this week as its really in a superb location.

Thanks,

lavine7

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭sarahguitar92

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I have to ask... if they don't allow you to put a clothes horse or anything like that in your apartment, how are you supposed to dry clothes that can't be tumble dried?

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Nitsuj

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I have to ask... if they don't allow you to put a clothes horse or anything like that in your apartment, how are you supposed to dry clothes that can't be tumble dried?
    Unless the radiators are electric, you could put your clothes on that, I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

lulufinn90 wrote: »
    im heading into my final year this year.
    i would say gateway or shanowen. larkfield is more or less like living in a prison. its handy if you want to be in the centre of everything but its overpriced smells weird.

It may be over-priced, but you're surrounded by other first years in close proximity and I had one of the best years of my life living there.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement