Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

place to lock bike near O'Connell Street

Options
  • 29-05-2012 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭

Hi, just wondering if people can recommend a relatively safe place to lock a bike near O'Connell Street? Preferable some sort of official bike rack. I need to leave it for nearly 3 hours. Have lock, etc

Mods please move this to Cycling if you think think its more appropriate.
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

donaghs wrote: »
    Hi, just wondering if people can recommend a relatively safe place to lock a bike near O'Connell Street? Preferable some sort of official bike rack. I need to leave it for nearly 3 hours. Have lock, etc

Mods please move this to Cycling if you think think its more appropriate.
    Thanks!

there are bike stands close to Abbey street. you can fit four per stand. usually safe ther, but nighttime is a different matter. the o connell monument has gate but it says bikes will be removed.

failing that there are a few bike stands at The Stein beside Pearse street garda station and beside tescos on parnell street.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭richardjjd

There are also racks on Princes St

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Go into trinity college..there's loads of bicycle racks and its as safe as you'll get anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

richardjjd wrote: »
    +1 I use it regularly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 405 ✭✭Econoline Van

If you're really concerned about safety (and I'd be a little uneasy about my bike after 3 hours) you can use a car-park such as the one in Temple Bar. They have a place for locking bikes (I'm sure other car-parks do too but never checked). It says you've to pay but they've never asked me for money before and it's not like you need to have the barrier raised when leaving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭novarock

If going to o'connell st I always lock mine at the corner of d'olier st beside O'Connell bridge house to the railings..

It should be ok for three hours anywhere provided you have a decent lock and your wheels are not quick release.

Ah quick release.....I went up to UCD v Sligo last week and locked my bike beside a fancy wheel with a lock around it. The thief had clearly just flipped the quick release and made off with the bike sans front wheel. Felt sorry for the poor fecker who was going to return to such a pitiful sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

richardjjd wrote: »

+2, Safest place

21/25

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭true

Ah quick release.....I went up to UCD v Sligo last week and locked my bike beside a fancy wheel with a lock around it. The thief had clearly just flipped the quick release and made off with the bike sans front wheel. Felt sorry for the poor fecker who was going to return to such a pitiful sight.

Saw that too a few times.
    I always lock mine through the frame.

If you're really concerned about safety (and I'd be a little uneasy about my bike after 3 hours) you can use a car-park such as the one in Temple Bar. They have a place for locking bikes (I'm sure other car-parks do too but never checked). It says you've to pay but they've never asked me for money before and it's not like you need to have the barrier raised when leaving.
    Well if he/she were to go to Temple Bar they might as well go the whole hog and use the official supervised bike park in Drury Street.

• Advertisement

Well if he/she were to go to Temple Bar they might as well go the whole hog and use the official supervised bike park in Drury Street.

I didn't know such a place existed!

Advertisement