Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car Insurance Policy and Quotes

Options
  • 29-05-2012 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Insurance Rates and Policy

This a copy of a letter I have sent to the insurance companies...anyone who has a comment or guidance in this situation would be much appreciated. Or equally if you would just like to gripe about insurance companies please join in!!

Dear Sir/Madam,

I have been highly disappointed with the level of service I have received from your company in recent days. I am trying to get a quote for a motor insurance policy and I am extremely unhappy with the service being provided. I also believe that there are a couple of flaws within the insurance quotation system that is being used.

Let me explain my situation.
    I began driving prior to my 21st birthday in October 2006 on a provisional licence. I paid €2,000 for my first policy on a 1.3 litre petrol starlet.

I obtained my Full Irish license on the 22 October 2007.
    I then insured a 1.3 turbo starlet (imported car 133bhp) with your company for €1,300.

Then I insured a 1.6 litre (180bhp) Toyota levin (imported car) with your for €1,000

Following this I had a diesel van insured with you for a few months.
    In November 2009, due to economic circumstances I left the country for 14 months.

On my return, I could not afford my own car and was insured on my sister's policy - January 2011 to present.

I am also, and have been a Quinn Healthcare customer when the company was one, for a number of years.

It is safe to say I have been a loyal customer and never had a complaint with the service received until recently.

My quote for car insurance has been hindered by the fact that I haven't had insurance in my own name in more than two years. Your customer service agents cannot explain the reason for this only that it is 'policy'. Could you please explain the logic behind this policy? I have since heard that people postpone or suspend their policy, but this was not pointed out to me.

I was also told that no insurance company in Europe will take on the gap of more than two years. However, I walked into an AXA branch and they are willing to take on an AXA to AXA policy for a gap of up to three years. Can I ask why Liberty will not do this as I have been a loyal customer that has never claimed from you in the past?

Due to this fact I cannot receive a no claims bonus (due to a gap in insurance). But your system seems to forget that I have 4 years driving experience, aside from the no claims that has been discounted. Why is this?

Furthermore, the car I am trying to insure is a 1.9 litre diesel engined Volkswagen passat - 100 bhp. Now, the level of risk I am assuming is calculated by a computer as 'the bigger the engine size, the bigger the loading'. Whereas as you can see from my previous car insurance history, doesnt reflect the true risk value of the car. Your system has quoted me more now as a 26 year old male on a 100bhp car than it has previously on a smaller engine (see Toyota Starlet Turbo - 133bhp) but a more powerful car? Can this be explained to me please?

I understand that the computer program is coded to generate a quotation based on loadings and discounts, which have been pre-inputted into the system. But a computer cannot tell that a 100bhp 1.9 litre diesel powered car is less of a risk than a 133bhp 1.3 litre petrol powered car. Both you and I can tell that. Unless there is another reason why these cars are different. Could you please explain this to me?

Usually I don't feel the need to write in or complain when dealing with service, but in this case (and the current economic climate) I feel that I am being quoted too much considering I am now outside the 'High-Risk' category of up to 25 year old males.Furthermore, it feels like all the effort of previous driving experience counts for nothing and I am back to square one at twenty-six years of age, having spent alot of money with your company over the years (which took a lot of effort to save up) The answers that have been provided to me thus far have not been satisfying to me, so I feel compelled to write this email.

Please forward to whom it may concern and perhaps we can set up a phone call or meeting so that both parties can be satisfied. I do not wish to receive an email response as I believe that this will further my frustration. Thanks for taking the time read this letter.

Yours sincerely,

RANT OVER!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

Instead of wasting time sending letters, why not contact a broker who will get a decent quote for you. I used to go direct, but I now find brokers to be far better value and no wasting of my time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

Why tell them that their system is wrong, its their system and they are not obliged to insure you. Vote with your feet if you are dissatisfied.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,411 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Why tell them that their system is wrong, its their system and they are not obliged to insure you. Vote with your feet if you are dissatisfied.

+1 They're not going to change their business practices because of one letter. You can't force them to do business with you so just go elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Banking & Insurance & Pensions

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Seriously OP get real, either make a complaint which will get looked at or dont, in which case this will be put in the bin. Its pointless.

Insurance is not loaded solely on the engine size either, very basic assumption you are making there. Its based on engine size, power, safety, risk associated with it (boy racers car choices), location, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 howsdcraic

The brokers have to abide by the same rules and regs so no joy this way

I dont intend them to change the whole insurance system but does anyone agree that it could be looked at.

In my letter I have explained that I have driven the so called boy racer cars and was quoted cheaper than a 100 bhp diesel passat - go figure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

The problem OP, as I see it, is that you are trying to bring logic to the discussion. Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way. I'd give good odds that your (logical) letter of complaint hit the bin by the junior who opens the post each morning.

As everyone will advise, hit the phones and internet for the best deal you can get

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

howsdcraic wrote: »
    The brokers have to abide by the same rules and regs so no joy this way

I dont intend them to change the whole insurance system but does anyone agree that it could be looked at.

In my letter I have explained that I have driven the so called boy racer cars and was quoted cheaper than a 100 bhp diesel passat - go figure.

Your problem is you see their insurance system as not suited to the history of driving you have had or to the car you which to insure. However they view their system as overall system made up of risks and costs associated with the risk with the objective to have it all balance out to give them a profit which they must get in order to survive.

Advertisement