Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

High Court dismisses first part of Sinn Féin challenge to Referendum Commission

• 29-05-2012 8:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭

A HIGH COURT judge has dismissed the first part of Sinn Féin’s legal challenge against the Referendum Commission over whether Ireland has a veto on the ESM or not.

The party lodged a judicial review at the High Court this morning challenging comments made by the Commission on 3 May that the government no longer had a veto of the European Stability Mechanism.

Lawyers for SF TD Pearse Doherty argued that the credibility of the Referendum Commission has been seriously damaged and has led to “contamination” of the referendum process.

In the High Court this afternoon the judge dismissed the first three of eleven points brought by Sinn Féin to the court, saying that they weren’t ultra vires ( beyond the powers of the Commission) and that since the comments were made more than three weeks ago, Doherty could have availed of the opportunity to pursue the case before now.

The judge adjourned the case until 8pm tonight and the court is to seek the attendance of the Referendum Commission at this evening’s proceedings in the court. The Commission had not been required to attend events earlier in the day.
    http://www.thejournal.ie/sinn-fein-challenges-referendum-commission-in-court-over-esm-467504-May2012/

I personally have no idea if their challenges have any merit but it being Sinn Fein I'd have my doubts.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,718 ✭✭✭✭Sand

I've no time for Sinn Fein but Id note that Pearse Doherty was the beneficiary of a high court case taken by SF to force Greena Fail to hold elections in Donegal when the government was desperately attempting to prevent the people having any say in the running of their country. Hopefully the Irish people will also benefit from this case being taken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

Sand wrote: »
    I've no time for Sinn Fein but Id note that Pearse Doherty was the beneficiary of a high court case taken by SF to force Greena Fail to hold elections in Donegal when the government was desperately attempting to prevent the people having any say in the running of their country. Hopefully the Irish people will also benefit from this case being taken.

To be fair Sand I applauded them for that action. Though I'm not going to suggest they didn't realise it would likely win them the seat.

On this challenge I have to admit to being very suspicious of the timing. Seems like they left it to the last minute on purpose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭beeftotheheels

Go Gerard Hogan! Very clever man that, knows his EU law.

Advertisement