Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Higher Diploma in Applied Computing Technology

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭clansman

deRanged wrote: »
    just to clarify for anyone wondering if they *have* to get a laptop.
    You don't - this class has a dedicated lab on the ground floor in the Western Gateway building. The machines in there are high spec and have all the software you need for the course. The lab is open when the building is, 08:00 till 22:00.
    By all means buy one, but if you have other things to do with the money, don't worry.

disclaimer: I work in the CS dept in UCC, though not as a lecturer. my posts are my own etc.

It is a good point to make deRanged especially if you are living in that area. you could be saving yourself a few 100 quid.

In my case i don't live in Co. Cork and I plan to do a masters in CS after this course so I am going to invest and get 2 years out of the laptop.
    however if I was only doing this course and lived in the city I wouldn't bother with a laptop.

engrob wrote: »
    Those specs look good to me, roughly what I will be hoping to get, but I'm limited by price.
    The ultrabooks look really good but are beyond my budget!

I wanted to set the limit at €500. I think the main points for me are 15", i5 and 6gig RAM. How vital would you consider a SSD?
    because it pushes the price up and have heard mixed reviews re. their speed in laptops. And is there any real reason to pay more and get i7?
    I have a 500GB ext.HDD already and high capacity internal HDDs seem pretty standard nowadays, so no problems there.

I've not bought a laptop in years so anyone's advice on specs is most welcome, I don't want to be buying something
    with specs that will be slow or pathetically out of date in 6 months!

Cheers

Well as far as read there isn't much of a difference between the i5 or i7 when i comes to basic operations in laptops.
    If you want to do some gaming/media well then that's a different story.
    I am planing to buy a SSD like this or this and then installing it in the new laptop. I am not going to buy a pre-installed SSD.

I have only positive things to say about the SSD in my desktop. The boot up and down time is only a few seconds, opening apps is instant.
    Stuff like winrar is so much faster eg unzipping a 4gig file in about a minute.

If you get a good SSD, i5, a nice bit ram you should be sorted for future proofing.

I phoned UCC a while back about the start of the course. I was told unofficially that it will start 24th September.
    Any one else get the same info?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 engrob

I've yet to even get a confirmation letter in the post! May ring them today actually and find out some details, as will be moving house soon from England to Cork. Will let you know what they say

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

I'd ring or email them, with regards to a confirmation letter, Think I got some kind of confirmation of getting in the course alright but you get a letter stating your student number, start date, time and location of first lecture. You should get one a few weeks before the course starts. I applied for the course in June didn't get accepted until August, think I didn't get my confirmation letter either the end of August or nearer to early-mid September.

Ye are likely to be starting the 24th. Its the first Monday of the term, most students be starting that day.

I remember starting the 21st I think a few years ago so I am assuming it be the 24th September of this year ye start the course.

• Advertisement

Just go an email from postgrade office, the time table is available on line here

its been a while since i was in college and the timetable is a bit confusing.
    there are 2 options under the Select Program, option Higher Diploma Applied Computing Technology 1 and Higher Diploma Applied Computing Technology 2.

Would i be right i saying that the 1 option is the full time course and the 2 option is the part time course?
    Also is 12 hrs a week correct? seems a bit short.

The timetable online is for part-timers! Most of them are in the morning slot some in the afternoon slot. Most of them are just in lectures but you get extra lab hours after three weeks. In the 1st term its grand but they be all over the place at some point as part-timers won't be doing every module. That's why the hours appear less on the online format of the timetable.

HACT1 is for 1st year part-timers, HACT2 is for 2nd year part-timers. It looks confusing at first. There is an option at the drop down menu that you can view for period 1, period 2 not just looking at the two periods.

You get a full-timer timetable on the day ye start. Ye can get it from the Secretary in the Computer Department. The timetable could be subject to change but that is at the discretion of lecturers.

Full-timers, the 10-12 hours are just for the first few weeks ye get extra lab hours so it be nearly 18-20 hours altogether. Same apply to 2nd term but ye be straight into labs so it be roughly 18-20 hours again in the 2nd term as soon as ye start 2nd term.

doovdela wrote: »
    You get a full-timer timetable on the day ye start. Ye can get it from the Secretary in the Computer Department. The timetable could be subject to change but that is at the discretion of lecturers.
    Do you have an email address for this person?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

clansman wrote: »
    Do you have an email address for this person?

it's on the computer science dept website.

You could always email the secretary of the computer department for the timetable.

Link for the Computer Science Department website.

http://www.ucc.ie/en/compsci/

• Advertisement

Just got word back from the secretary that clears things up.

The ‘Higher Diploma Applied Computing Technology 1’ timetable is the full time course, and the ‘The Higher Diploma Applied Computing Technology 2’ is the second year of the part-time course.
    If you are taking the course part-time over two years you will need to take specific modules from the full-time timetable in year 1.

Just got word back from the secretary that clears things up.

The ‘Higher Diploma Applied Computing Technology 1’ timetable is the full time course, and the ‘The Higher Diploma Applied Computing Technology 2’ is the second year of the part-time course.
    If you are taking the course part-time over two years you will need to take specific modules from the full-time timetable in year 1.

Oh right, didn't realise that as that was the case when I did the course at the time, the timetable for 1st ear part timers was for the 1st year part-timers and 2nd for 2nd year part-timers despite it being in its first year of the course. Part-timers be only completing a selective few of the modules but they can opt to change to full time if they wish or sit into the full time modules just to listen in if they wish.

I say its just a provisional timetable they add more onto the original HDACT1 timetable adding in labs.

Its listed on the online prospectus what modules you do part time but don't think you get to decide which ones you do yourself only the option modules.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

This course started on the 5th of September last year. A lot of the class didnt even turn up the first couple of weeks as the arly start took them by surprise.

Wonder why its starting nearly 3 weeks later this term? :confused:

telekon wrote: »
    This course started on the 5th of September last year. A lot of the class didnt even turn up the first couple of weeks as the arly start took them by surprise.

Wonder why its starting nearly 3 weeks later this term? :confused:

Oh right didn't know that. I think it could been down to the fact that one of our modules from the first term ran into the second term meaning we lost out on some classes on a module we were to have started out on the 2nd term.

Ya its not unusual, a lot of people didn't join our class till 2-3 weeks after it started and we had the late start the first week of term near the end of September.

Has anyone received anything about this course??

Has anyone received anything about this course??

I've still not had a single thing in the post! Getting a bit irritated because I want to plan and get properly organised, with notice. Not too impressed with UCC admin so far. If everyone else has got their stuff through, please let me know. Cheers

On a side note, if anyone is around for a pint any time just send me a PM, sat inside with my nose pressed against the window looking for drinking companions! Bring on orientation and course start

Rob

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

I presume people got a email on Thursday stating the registration and first lecture times for this course? How many are actually doing it here this year?:)

So how is everyone getting on? A tad disorganised so far is my general impression, I want a fixed timetable including additional labs asap! Got to find a job around this. Anyway, end of moan. Should be an interesting and useful course in the main.

How much work are you doing outside of lectures? and what kind of stuff? Anyone made a decision if its worth buying a laptop to do stuff at home, or, would the software programs required to run, limit being able to work from home?

I'd obviously rather work in comfort at home, but I'm also broke and don't want to waste money

Rob

I'm the ginger young fella Steven :)

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Decos

How are ye getting on with the course so far lads?

What material have ye studied and is it hard?

It looks like an interesting course but some of the module titles look a bit general/wishy washy. Is that the case? All in all would you recommend the course?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

Hi,

I'm from an Arts / social science background with absolutely no IT / Business experience, and recently i've been looking at getting into IT. As I have a 2,1 in my BA, I figure that the most straightforward thing for me to do is apply for as many hdips & MA conversion courses as possible (UCC has a two MA courses of interest, the masters in ISBP & E-Business). However, I'm wondering whether I should scrap the idea of pursuing an MA and instead consider doing this Hdip first as a solid grounding given my total lack of knowledge in the area of IT.

As I've said, I graduated with a BA [International Relations] in 2010, and done an MA in 2011 which i've had no luck with job wise, thus I now wish to make a 180 degree turn and basically start afresh in something totally new. I honestly feel that i've hampered myself by travelling abroad for the past year, but it's has its positive outcome in the sense now that i'm genuinely excited and up to the challenge of going back home and studying something totally new.

However I just don't know if i'll be doing the right thing by doing an MA (IF I do happen to get accepted) in terms of forging a career for myself. My gut feeling is that employers wont touch me as I have no experience whatsoever.

I've done plenty of browsing in the various universities forums here looking at threads on similar courses such as these dips and MA conversions, yet I get the impression that most people doing these courses are more academically geared towards them - the likes of business graduates who have done some IT modules etc.

So basically, are there many out there who've came from BA (or other random) backgrounds who've went on to do this course, or any of the MA conversion courses here in UCC? If so, how have you fared out since? Do employers welcome the fact that you're somebody who's taken a giant leap into a totally new world?

cheers,

i came from a BA and am doing the full time hdipact course at the moment, the first term was easy but the second term with java and php is pretty tough to be honest! im in college now on a saturday catching up so you need to put in the effort really but it is enjoyable and the class are very nice.
    my friend went from doing a business course in CIT to the conversion course e-business this year and although it is tough as well he seems to enjoy it. the course seems to be run pretty well and the job prospects seem to be good also. i would do the e-business course if i was doing the rounds again. you might also look at the masters in BIS, also heard good things about it, but again it would be the toughest course of all i would imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 arts_graduate

Hi, I am wondering what value this would be to an Arts student looking to switch paths. I'm talking English and History here, so no relevant background or experience whatsoever. Looking at a 2.1/1.1 in my BA in any case.

Obviously I'm expecting it to be more of a stepping stone on to other degrees. I wouldn't expect to be put on a parity with people with 3/4 degrees when it comes to applying for Masters or jobs. Any advice appreciated.

Its a stepping stone but it be worth while along with an Arts but to be honest if you not sure what career path to go its good to do and have but I be in favour of doing a Masters as soon as if you have it in the head to do one! If you undecided on a Masters maybe the hdip ACT be ideal depends on the career you looking for.

Its touch and go on the jobs front to be honest! Its time for me to update my skills haven't not much luck with jobs since finishing the course. I don't know what to do, go back to college and do a Masters or another course I just plough away in the hope a job fly into my lap which I doubt it I could try to make it happen but probably won't. So have looked into all potential options but I am running out of them at this stage...travel or leave where I am and head to a city or leave Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 frogstomper

Hi

I've been accepted on to the H Dip in Applied Computing Technology and was wondering if anyone has the book list/recommended reading for the course?

Thanks

To anyone thinking of doing this course, heres my own personal experience of it and the aftermath.
    I got a 3H in my Arts degree, was well capable of better but due to immaturity and a severe dislike for the course I did poor. My options were limited after this but obviously knew I had to better my education so this course seemed the best way. As courses go, it is enjoyable. The first term is very easy and I would use the spare time to get ahead by trying to start learning basic PHP and Java yourself, it will help HUGELY with the second term, which is pretty tough to be fair. I didnt expect to get it seeing as how second term was so tough but I got a good 2:1 and yesterday got accepted for a Masters in BIS.
    I did not wish to return to college after doing this course as I hoped I would have enough to obtain some form of a support job etc to get experience and move up to a better job then but from searching for the jobs the last few months I realised unless youre very lucky, this course on its own probably wont be enough. Dont get me wrong a handful of the lads got jobs and one or two actually got good ones but its rare enough. If you really enjoy the course then progressing onto the Masters in Computer Science is of course possible but it will be tough, really really tough.
    If you were like me and let yourself down in your degree then I would definitely recommend this course to get you back on track.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

t I got a good 2:1 and yesterday got accepted for a Masters in BIS.

congratulations and well done.

To anyone thinking of doing this course, heres my own personal experience of it and the aftermath.
    I got a 3H in my Arts degree, was well capable of better but due to immaturity and a severe dislike for the course I did poor. My options were limited after this but obviously knew I had to better my education so this course seemed the best way. As courses go, it is enjoyable. The first term is very easy and I would use the spare time to get ahead by trying to start learning basic PHP and Java yourself, it will help HUGELY with the second term, which is pretty tough to be fair. I didnt expect to get it seeing as how second term was so tough but I got a good 2:1 and yesterday got accepted for a Masters in BIS.
    I did not wish to return to college after doing this course as I hoped I would have enough to obtain some form of a support job etc to get experience and move up to a better job then but from searching for the jobs the last few months I realised unless youre very lucky, this course on its own probably wont be enough. Dont get me wrong a handful of the lads got jobs and one or two actually got good ones but its rare enough. If you really enjoy the course then progressing onto the Masters in Computer Science is of course possible but it will be tough, really really tough.
    If you were like me and let yourself down in your degree then I would definitely recommend this course to get you back on track.

Congrats I be interested to know how you get on in the masters as the bis masters I be interested in in the future or ism in nuig be similar to my degree after the hDip we both did be good to see how tied in they are if not doing a compsci masters. All the best with masters and job hunt!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 frogstomper

What kind of jobs did they get from it? I dont think I'll be heading on to the Masters stage of things to be honest - money wont allow it for me so will be looking at going straight into a job once I finish

• Advertisement

Start as soon as you start hdip. I came into the course the worst possible time for jobs 2009 was impossible to get an interview for few months till after i finished course. Took another 8 months before anything started to happen as in offers of interviews. 2010, 2011 before jobs started to pick up but more competitive now from 2012, 2013. Get learning the codes before getting in depth in course. If you can at all get some I.T experience before or doing course i was lucky i had that before course but not enough to land a job since so need to keep up to date and fill gap on cv by other means!

Advertisement