Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Balbriggan to Pearse by train

Options
  • 29-05-2012 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

Hi All,

Looking to find out the monthly cost of a train ticket from the above places? I have looked on taxsaver.ie and combined with Dublin bus use its €132 but will have to check and see is employer involved in this scheme. Also are the trains very reliable time wise or would I be better to consider using the car instead.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Nodster

Trains are generally very reliable, gets the thumbs up from moi ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭agrif06

€132 is the price of the monthly ticket. If your employer is part of the taxsaver scheme you'll save either €40 or €67 on this, depending on what tax bracket you're in.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

If you can get the annual ticket it's cheaper again (especially since the cost is coming out of your gross wage). Thumbs up on the train here too though. I get it from Skerries. I nearly never get a seat, but I couldn't care less. So much better than commuting by car.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Meshel

Bit new to this whole travelling to work always only ever been 5 minutes by car away so just trying to figure out cost and so on.
    So if I go to buy a train and bus combined ticket it will cost me €132 and then if my employer is part of the taxsaver scheme money comes out of my wages gross so reducing my tax liability?? How much cheaper is yearly ticket?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Unshelved

€1120 annually for rail only. €1320 annually for bus and rail. It is further reduced if - as others have said - your employer is part of the tax saver scheme. Annual tickets are issued at the beginning of July and beginning of January, so if you don't want to wait until January to get one start making enquiries immediately - in our workplace we have to have the application in by early June for the July annual ticket.

Trains are generally reliable - if overcrowded at peak times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Unshelved wrote: »
    Annual tickets are issued at the beginning of July and beginning of January

I got mine at the end of March. Probably an employer thing.

OP: 1320 for the bus and rail will work out at about 60 quid a month out of your pay packet if you're on the higher rate of tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭JodTT

Out of interest does anyone know how much return ticket from Pearse to Balbriggan is? I currently use a leap card which is €4 for each journey so am wondering if it's a saving against a return ticket?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭agrif06

€4.70 single, €8.70 day return

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭JodTT

agrif06 wrote: »
    €4.70 single, €8.70 day return

That's great to know. Many Thanks for that!

Advertisement