Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Portmarnock "Riots"

Options
  • 29-05-2012 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭

Came across this on Youtube, might be of interest to a few of you!

Scumbags the lot of them, thought the Gardaí in limited numbers handled it very well, especially given they were mainly armed detectives perhaps more used to busting drug dealers than knacker kids (although in Malahide they are seen about the place reguarly, as it's a small station).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I saw this on another site yesterday. Not so much about a riot, more about filming young girls' bottoms to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

Bunch of kids not doing much obviously wrong, other than congretaing in a huge crowd, getting screwed by shoddy public transport

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

don't forget congregating in large unruly numbers and drinking openly in a public place too. They make a mess of Portmarnock and other coastal areas every sunny day, ruining local amenities for local people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

At least it wasn't as bad as Sandycove.:eek:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056651166

Some local politician most likely will complain about policing cuts in Malahide rather than Dublin Bus not providing enough buses on a sunny weekend and retailers selling alcohol to underage kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

subway wrote: »
    Bunch of kids not doing much obviously wrong, other than congretaing in a huge crowd, getting screwed by shoddy public transport

They trashed a bus at some stage which resulted in no buses serving Portmarnock that evening.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 86 ✭✭dublinstevie

what the hell it got to do with Dublin Bus if idiot kids with no respect for anything or anyone get drunk illegally and cause mayhem,was Dublin Bus just to let them on the bus to cause havoc,get a grip

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

A Garda assaulted, loitering & drinking in a public place, breach of the peace, failing to comply with lawful demands...not doing much wrong, seriously?

Toe rags

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

@dublinstevie - Tone down the attitude there please.
    Discuss the issue without losing the rag, ok.

tHB

wow, relax everyone. ive only seen the video, not heard all the local gossip.

kids go to beach in large numbers, that happens around the world.
    some of them get drunk (not in this video), some of them trash a bus (not in this video), someone assaults a garda (not in this video)

so we can surmise, that in this video, all is as i described?

next point, dublin bus cant cope with a few hundred people needing to get the bus. whats the solution? give cars to all the children (jk) - certainly the solution is not to cancel all the buses (since the problem is with the lack of buses in the first place)
    now we are left with kids hanging around (which is obviously a problem in portmarnock) it wasnt at sutton, howth or dollymount, everyone got on just fine, despite hundreds of kids and some of them drinking. if these kids hanging around is the problem, surely getting them home safely is the solution, not abandoning them?

the gardai did a fine job of "moving the problem along", its their remit to disperse the crowd and maintain order, but presumably all these kids didnt teleport home and had a long walk to the dart station, the next bus stop (baldoyle?) or had to get taxis / lifts? all leading to more hanging around.

what the hell it got to do with Dublin Bus if idiot kids with no respect for anything or anyone get drunk illegally and cause mayhem,was Dublin Bus just to let them on the bus to cause havoc,get a grip

i really despise the phrase "get a grip", theres just something moronic about it. very joe duffy-esque.

anyway, the solution is not strand them there. the problem, as i see it, is that there are kids out on a sunny day. unfortunately, there are going to be a few idiots, but they all arent (listen to the commetary on the video)
    most are trying to get home safely, some are probably quite scared of the idiots.

dublin bus run a limited service to portmarnock and have no capability to increase service on days where demand will be very high. this likely led to the crowd at the bus stop getting bigger and bigger. that no one predeicted this or has any kind of preventative plan in place contributed to the problem.

im not saying its dublin bus fault, just that the situation could have been avoided.

many on boards would think the solution to the problem is to stop the kids drinking and hanging out. certainly, i would say, good luck with that...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 elseanino

I think Dublin Bus needs to increase the regularity of its services, especially on busy/sunny days. People really shouldn't have to wait more than 15-20 minutes. I'd hardly call what happened there a riot though. Lots of kids, some drinking, no transport = kerscuffle.

if these kids hanging around is the problem, surely getting them home safely is the solution, not abandoning them?

Yeah because they wanna go 'home' & get tucked in by mammy. Poor kids, no wonder they destroyed the beach with 20 odd bags of cans & bottles, who wouldn't sure if they felt abandoned.

Rubber bullet the little toe rags, see how abandoned they feel then. Yeah you can't see any of it in the one video, it happened nonetheless, & I hope whoever assaulted the Guard spent a long hot night slowly cooking in a stuff cell.

Perhaps, in your attempt to be outaged at the youth of today / outsidders on "your" beach, you accidentally missed the entire point of my reply? (Note, its not a locals only beach)
    They were waiting on a bus, they obviously wanted to go somewhere. Preusmably home ad there wouldnt have been much else for them to do at the end of a sunny day. The situation was controlled, but managed inefffectively, and it should have never have happened in the first place.

In regards the litter, its not on, but they are hardly the only culprits? Or is that more "evidence" you have ontained from the local gossip mill? I was told yesterday that a friend heard from a taxi driver that there was a rolling and bloody street battle. You can share that with your neighbours too :pac:

Perhaps, in your attempt to be outaged at the youth of today / outsidders on "your" beach, you accidentally missed the entire point of my reply? (Note, its not a locals only beach)
    They were waiting on a bus, they obviously wanted to go somewhere. Preusmably home ad there wouldnt have been much else for them to do at the end of a sunny day. The situation was controlled, but managed inefffectively, and it should have never have happened in the first place.

In regards the litter, its not on, but they are hardly the only culprits? Or is that more "evidence" you have ontained from the local gossip mill? I was told yesterday that a friend heard from a taxi driver that there was a rolling and bloody street battle. You can share that with your neighbours too :pac:

So hang on, are you basically saying there was no incident & that plain clothes Gardai, uniformed Gardai & the Riot Squad van were there because of a bus que? I'm not saying everyone there is guilty, but the carry on was caused by those not so innocent

I'm saying that not everyone there did something wrong.
    I'm saying that lack of public transport options made an obviously difficult situation worse.
    I'm saying that dublin bus "throwing the baby out with the bath water" did not help bring the situation to an end.
    I'm saying that luas and dart employ extra security on days like Sunday.
    I'm saying that the Gardai just moved the problem along.

Anyone idiot can tell you that Sunday was going to bring out kids drinking. They were left uncontrolled on portmarmock and when the day came to an end the situation blew up.

Imagine oxygen ending abruptly with no public transport. Imagine temple Bar doing the same.

I spent the day on dollymount. There were Gardai on patrol all day. There were no incidents that I saw.

I think the whole portmarmock thing was a fiasco and with a bit of intelligence could have been foreseen days in advance and address proactively with a few extra buses and a garda beach patrol.
    Any trouble on the buses could have been addressed with a couple of stt guys on the busier buses towards the end of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

Two quick points:
    Morphéus wrote: »
    local amenities for local people.

Bit Royston Vasey, don't you think? It's a national amenity.
    I think the whole portmarmock thing was a fiasco and with a bit of intelligence could have been foreseen days in advance and address proactively with a few extra buses and a garda beach patrol.

I have never seen the numbers of young people walking towards the Dart as I saw on that day. I don't think it was that predictable.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

the first local was a typo.

the local people bit meant that locals were better off staying in their own homes than going anywhere near Scroat Beach.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

Morphéus wrote: »

the local people bit meant that locals were better off staying in their own homes than going anywhere near Scroat Beach.

True enough. I'd say it was hellish.

I have never seen the numbers of young people walking towards the Dart as I saw on that day. I don't think it was that predictable.

it was posted earlier that it happens every sunny day. "locals_only" refer to it as "scroat beach".
    it either has a reputation or it doesnt.

also
    /unsubscribed, ill leave you all to your thread reassuring each other that if you didnt have to suffer outsiders portmarnock would be safe for the innocent pormarnockers ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭spiderman1885

Fact is better planning could have prevented this situation.

(Maybe it should have been family planning 14/15 years ago - we wouldn't have kids without common decency being dragged up by ignorant parents) .

The problems should have been anticipated by the Gardai, this is not a new phenomenon in Portmarnock. Someone was stabbed here last summer, I saw a brawl of about 70-80 people roll past my house too. The stream of people to the Dart was unbelievable, and there were huge crowds waiting on the buses, but I'm not sure waiting for a bus is right to start throwing bottles and attacking Gardai.
    I also don't think when you're 14/15 you should be out drinking all day on the beach, but maybe I think these things because I was raised properly. It comes back to the parents no matter what, these little knackers were never shown the right way to behave.

See Sunday on Portmarnock beach for that, parents drinking on the beach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭spiderman1885

@Subway - there did actually seem to be alot more than usual, the stream of people down to the dart station was unbelievable. Constant stream for the entire road, about a mile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Andremac96

the one day im not in porto something good happens:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

Andremac96 wrote: »
    the one day im not in porto something good happens:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Riots/crowd trouble are good?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Andrewmac96

Andrewmac96

why did you write andreWmac96

its andremac96
    no double you

Riots/crowd trouble are good?

bitta crack

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Imagine oxygen ending abruptly with no public transport
    That's a rather silly comparison to make. Events such as Oxygen are subject to planning and licensing and are required to have extensive insurance cover, traffic management plans, transport logistics, security services, emergency services etc.

To compare an ad hoc meeting of drinkers on a public beach with a planned and licenced private entertainment event is simply daft.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

i see from the youtube clip its quite recent,im not suprised no buses go out there,were any of them arrested?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,720 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

elseanino wrote: »
    I think Dublin Bus needs to increase the regularity of its services, especially on busy/sunny days. People really shouldn't have to wait more than 15-20 minutes. I'd hardly call what happened there a riot though. Lots of kids, some drinking, no transport = kerscuffle.

Not being smart but how are Dublin Bus supposed to operate a service based on the weather?

Unfortunately there is not a pool of drivers sitting around and buses available to suddenly increase the service if the weather is sunny.

However, there are plans to revise the Howth Road services this summer and this will result in a more regular interval frequency on the 29, 31 and 32 rather than the current hotch-potch.

• Advertisement
Advertisement