Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer won't start after processor upgrade.

Options
  • 29-05-2012 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭

I bought a new processor for my laptop and it came today. So I popped it in, and the laptop wouldn't start. It comes on for around 3 seconds and goes off again.

I did a good bit of research before I bought it and I'm sure that the processor is compatible, but just incase my laptop is an Acer Aspire 4920, it's processor is a Intel Core2 Duo CPU T5250 @ 1.50GHz. I replaced it with a Intel Core 2 Duo T9600 SLB47 @ 2.80Ghz.

I've cleaned and reapplied new thermal paste, have all screws in correct and everything else I should of done. Anyone know what could be wrong? It's not an overheating problem or the likes because I'm using my old processor again now and it's working fine.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

To me its either the laptop is not providing enough power for your new cpu or you might need to flash your bios on your motherboard to get it working .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭downwithpeace

Did you confirm the CPU and BIOS versions are correct, manufacturers should list MOBO CPU compatibility with required BIOS. A mistake I've made myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Friel

@smileyj1987 - I flashed the BIOS earlier today. Could have something to do with the power supply. How would I check that/solve it?

@downwithpeace - Intel doesn't list anything like that. I went on what socket was supported.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭downwithpeace

There's more to CPU upgrades then the socket, you need to be sure your motherboard can take the newer CPU. Sometimes this can be done with BIOS updates but there's always a limit.

I know theres more to it, but I mean on the Intel website the only thing that gave an indication of if it was compatible was the socket. Doesn't mention BIOS or anything similar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

I tried to post about this yesterday but for some reason I couldn't.

The older CPU is from the Merom generation while the newer CPU is the Penryn architecture. If you look on the intel site, you can see the older one as 65nm while the newer is 45nm.

Intel's forward compatibility with CPUs is atrocious. The current Ivy Bridge CPUs being compatible with existing Sandy Bridge motherboards is actually unusual.

After a bit of digging, it appears that your motherboard is built on the Santa Rosa platform. Now some of these offered forward compatibility which depended upon supporting components and most importantly, manufacturer support in the form of a BIOS upgrade.

If you did the BIOS upgrade to the newest one, it's looking doubtful that it will work unless it doesn't like the RAM or something (although I think it was the following generation when the memory controllers were integrated so it shouldn't make much difference).
    The only way to check the power adapter is to switch back in the old CPU.

OK, I've looked into it more.
    There's two generations of Penryns. The newer ones with 1066MHz FSB are not compatible. That's the T9600.

Ones compatible with your motherboard would have to be either Merom or the first generation of Penryns such as,
    T8100, T8300, T9500 etc. You can see the full list here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_Core_2_microprocessors

So in general, it your CPU isn't really compatible. However, you may be able to get some help there. Check out:
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/hardware-components-aftermarket-upgrades/393027-pll-pinmod-overclocking-methods-examples.html#
    Specifically FAQ #4 Is it possible to use a 1066Mhz FSB Penryn cpu on a 800Mhz FSB Santa Rosa platform?

However, it looks kind of like a dead end. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

can you find other accounts of people successfully upgrading their identical laptops to the same CPU?

Ok, so Monotype you basically hit the nail on the head. Did abit more digging myself this morning and found out that only the T8000 series and the T9300 and T9500 are compatible. Been on to the people I bought it off to see if they can exchange it, but I don't think they will as it's an ebay shop.

Cheers for your help.

If you want a 2GHz Merom, I have one just lying around here. It's 2GHz. Not as big an upgrade as the T9600 would be, but still faster than your 1.5GHz.

Edit: For free, that is, if you were going to use it.

• Advertisement

Monotype wrote: »
    If you want a 2GHz Merom, I have one just lying around here. It's 2GHz. Not as big an upgrade as the T9600 would be, but still faster than your 1.5GHz.

Edit: For free, that is, if you were going to use it.

Sent you a PM there.

Advertisement