Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

road legal exhaust?

• 29-05-2012 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

looking for a little advice, am new to biking and have just bought my first commuter bike, a 03 Kawasaki kle 500 over the weekend, i have it in storage till i do my ibt this weekend and also get a restrictor kit fitted, i knew when buying the bike that it had a replacement exhaust fitted ( Full Laser Pro Duro Exhaust System) but have just noticed that it says NOT for road use stamped underneath the unit,

would like some advice concerning have i bought a road legal bike and can it be insured?

thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

It will be fine tbh. You can declare an after-market exhaust as a modification when insuring, the not for road use is more than likely do to the noise of it being loud.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭jmadoyle

Thanks for that Simona, I was worried I wouldnt be able to drive the bike
    On the road with the particular exhaust installed, I've no problem in declaring
    It as a modified exhaust to the insurance ,

Would it be possible to add a damper to the laser exhaust to lower the noise?
    Advice greatly appreciated, thankyou.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

its quite hard to get a baffle for a pipe that didnt come with one originally

possibly easier to source an original can, and put that back on imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Wossack wrote: »
    its quite hard to get a baffle for a pipe that didnt come with one originally

possibly easier to source an original can, and put that back on imo

Not necessarily the case, I've seen elsewhere that you can buy DB killers and fit them to any exhaust. This was from a lad who works on exhausts for a living.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

true, but really depends on the can

from looking at the laser produro on the net, it doesnt look like you'd get a dbkiller to fit it (the end cap has a tilt, and theres no obvious fixing point). Can probably cut the cap off, fit a baffle, and reweld the cap. Or maybe fit it somewhere in the midpipe section the same way, but again, I'd say sourcing an original can is easier :) original owner probably has it gathering spiderwebs in his shed somewhere

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭lostboy

say youll be fine, ive driven around before with not for road use stuff and never had a problem, if it really worries you you can declare it, you could also grind off the not for road use iif you really wanted to.

Advertisement