Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GPU Choice Please i need help

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭Digy123

Motherboard is ASRock Z68 Pro3 Gen3, Sockel 1155, ATX

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Those GPUs take very little to run. You could run the 6870 with 450W and the others probably with less.

The 7770 isn't a great card in terms of performance and value for money. The 6870 is good value, although that one is a bit dearer than many others. You can pick up several in the 14X range if you search for 6870 (don't buy the "special item" one, it means open box).

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭Digy123

Monotype wrote: »
    Those GPUs take very little to run. You could run the 6870 with 450W and the other probably with less.

The 7770 isn't a great card in terms of performance and value for money. The 6870 is good value, although that one is a bit dearer than many others. You can pick up several in the 14X range if you search for 6870 (don't buy the "special item" one, it means open box).

Thanks could you link me to a good card in this price range or should i stick with the 6870 from HIS i have one in my build and works great but are the 7770 series not a better card because their newer?

There's another HIS at 143.
    http://www2.hardwareversand.de/1024+MB/43022/HIS+HD+6870+IceQ+X+GDDR5+1024MB+Native+HDMI+2xDVI+2xMiniDP.article

I haven't looked, but I'm guessing since the other one has turbo in the name, the only difference might be that it's overclocked.

Newer doesn't mean a whole lot. Will a bicycle that you buy this year be faster than a car you bought last year? (Traffic jams excluded!)

If I recall correctly, the 7770 was only about able to keep up with a 6850. Barely. The 6870 is a fair bit faster. Yes, you get newer niceties like better efficiency but they're still just charging too much for them. Here's some benchmarks to compare.
    http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/540?vs=536

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Sholden

• Advertisement

Looks like a good buy. A lot better than paying an additional €19 for shipping with hardwareversand unless you're ordering other stuff from them.

Comes out €140 delivered.

I wondering is that an own brand ATI/AMD? I didn't think they made those anymore. Or is it just you'll be sent whatever brand they have in stock?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Sholden

Monotype wrote: »
    I wondering is that an own brand ATI/AMD? I didn't think they made those anymore. Or is it just you'll be sent whatever brand they have in stock?

I think the own brand 6870 looks better than any of the sapphire or other brand ones tbh. That's just me though. Not sure how they compare performance wise but it's still a 6870 for €130

Advertisement