Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would you risk your life?

• 29-05-2012 10:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 177 ✭✭Memory Of 98

So,

Today I found myself enjoying the lovely weather and eating at a restaurant. Half way through my meal I heard the screams of a woman from across the establishment. Looking over I saw her hanging over her table and a scumbag sprinting away with her purse in hand.

Now, there were many men there, men bigger than me. But, they did nothing, not even bat an eye lid, nor did the staff. For some stupid reason I took off in pursuit, charging down a busy street dodging fast moving traffic and nearly being ran down and killed.

When I got back, the victim praised me. But just about everyone else scolded me calling me a fool and an idiot for risking my life for someone that I did not even know.

I don`t know why I did it, but I did. I am looking back now fretting over how I was nearly killed/seriously wounded.

When did I become foolish in Ireland to be a vigilante, when did it become okay for men to not even bat an eye lid at women being assaulted?

What would anyone else have done?

What would you do? 88 votes

I would help
    0% 0 votes
    I would ignore
    100% 88 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

I want to be a superhero.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

It's that famous experiment - possibly in Time Square?
    Someone must know what I'm on about.

Fair play to you op.
    No idea how I'd react - I think I'd have to be in the situation to really know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

So,

.... a woman from across the establishment.

We're talking about a titty bar here, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

i wouldnt have got involved, none of my business and you constantly hear of people being beaten up or worse for getting involved

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

Personally I think I'd risk my life as long as I was sure I wouldnt embarrass myself. Nothing worse than making a show of yourself in public. So I wouldnt be chasing anyone but may or may not jump in front of a bus to save a pretty lady.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 177 ✭✭Memory Of 98

squod wrote: »
    We're talking about a titty bar here, right?

No, just a very, very crappy chippers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Ha you dident catch me :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

This is the experiment I'm on about.

• Site Banned Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Ares

Can anyone remember the case last year, I think it was in Ennis where some lad attacked another lad in some public place stabbing him with about 50 people watching and not one did a single thing.

Pretty sad that its come to this.

Edit; Found it. http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/1212/clare.html
    The attack was observed by 11 eyewitnesses but it was only when the teenager returned to attack the boy for a second time that a man intervened and forced him to move away.

People in groups are retarded quite simply. Cowards following the herd mentality of someone else will intervene.

Persons are intelliegent, people are incredibly stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

This is the experiment I'm on about.

It's fcked up really when you think about it. The more people around the less likely someone will help.

I say fair play OP you did what you thought was the right thing, without given much thought to your own well being to help out someone in need.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭downwithpeace

Depends on the situation, I seriously would like to think I would react in aid of the person but couldn't be sure I would until I was faced with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Hard to tell unless you ever found yourself in that situation, these people did though:

HazDanz wrote: »
    It's fcked up really when you think about it. The more people around the less likely someone will help.

I say fair play OP you did what you thought was the right thing, without given much thought to your own well being to help out someone in need.

Surprsingly I was okay at the time, it seemed like a very sane thing to do. But, I am quite in shock now thinking of how close I came to being splattered across the tarmac by one of the cars I narrowly dodged.

And the worst thing is not even one car went near hitting the thieving b@stard!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Get an actor, dress him up rough and have him collapse outside a train station, people stay walking

And I think I would do the same. Got a punch off a wino in Eyre Sq Galway once and that place was just full of winos.

Then get a smartly dressed actor, hits the ground and gets help swiftly

Interesting but not surpising

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 969 ✭✭✭some random drunk

I think a lot of the time the bystander effect kicks in. Maybe one way to beat it would be to point at specific people and say something like "Hey you! Give me a hand chasing this fella!"

Anyways fair play to you OP for giving chase.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I would at least try.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

The_Citizen hasn't been seen on boards in ages
    Whatever happened that lad

OP, you are the new hero of boards
    We want weekly tales of you throwing skangers off the top deck of the 40 and out the window

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Well done op. I'm surprised nobody followed your example though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,063 ✭✭✭kirving

Yes, I would in most circumstances. A scumbag walked up to me in town a number of months ago, punched me in the face and broke my nose for no reason. Not one of my friends, or anyone around did anything, and he just walked off. Sound.

Hardly expect girls to chase a nacker down the street, but I wouldn't let anyone get away with doing that to a friend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭seantorious

So did you get the leg over her or what?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

Yes; I would frisk your wife.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

Fair play OP, feck, that's brave, very fucking brave, and possibly a smidge daft... But I'm impressed none the less

Although if you were my other half I'd be knocking ten bells outta ya for putting yourself in such a position! See I'm such a hypocrite, don't object to anyone I don't know being a hero, but if it was anyone I loved, I'd go mad!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Battered Mars Bar

I once ran into a burning building and rescued a puppy but you don't see me bragging...just wish I heard it was the baby she was looking for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Mance Rayder

For a handbag? no.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I'd like to think I would but I've no idea really in the situation. Fair play OP, you did something not many people would even contemplate.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭danslevent

Was it a bit of an anti climatic moment when you came back without the handbag?

But seriously, fair play anyway :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Jogathon

I did it in Barcalona - sitting in a park and saw two men chatting to tourists. One was distracting and the other was behind stealing a bag. I shouted and the man with the bag casually was walking off and I ran after him and pointed etc. The German tourist caught him and grabbed him and gave their bag to me (very trustingly) and was trying to ring the police when the guy twisted out of his hands and ran off. I was really quite proud of myself.
    Another time my mum woke up and heard a noise downstairs. She started yelling and screaming and my reaction was to jump up out of bed and sprint downstairs and out the door after the guy. I got to about 200m down the road when I had a re-think and strolled back home. I could see him in front of me though! So stupid but that was my reaction both times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

I wouldn't risk my life for my own money, let alone someone elses. Its just money, not worth losing my life over it.

Now, If I taught I had a reasonable chance of success with minimal risk to myself and others, I would try to help. However, as I said earlier no point in getting killed over a few quid.

Now, I someones life was in danger, then I would like to think, I would be brave enough to help someone in such a situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Leave it well be. It was just her purse not her life.

I did something kinda similar before in the place I used to work when a scumbag sneaked into the store room. Stupid me told the other girl to call the manager and I went after him without thinking, next thing I know I'm alone and facing this guy! He didn't do anything except abuse me verbally, but it was a silly risk.

But sometimes you don't think in the moment!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Most people just freeze anyway, and watch. I've seen people get trapped in heavy machinery and be crushed, screaming their heads off, and everyone around them will just freeze and do nothing. I know I react, I've had that test enough times. I also tend to get involved when I get "involved" in robberies and fights. Its just the way you are, you either do or don't, no judgement here, I can't stand by, some can, some just freeze. Probably less hassle to not get involved tbh, but I don't think, I tend to think afterwards. This may or may not be a healthy genetic trait. I just can't watch someone suffer or get robbed without trying to help as best I can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

Good man but I dont think Id have bothered, the risk would be too high. Id console my cowardice in Karma.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

If someone was getting attacked and they themselves were under threat then I reckon I'd intervene. Not for a purse though.

I've heard of cases where people have had their wallet/phone robbed, given chase to the thief only to find themselves confronted by a larger group in some alley where they're robbed of whatever else they have on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

I dunno, it's kinda you gotta be there situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭cian68

Not over a handbag. She can live without a few tampons or whatever are kept in those mystery boxes. I was once punched in the face by a complete stranger waiting at the traffic lights on my way to tesco. Did nothing then either. Nothing to be gained from it.

I've heard of cases where people have had their wallet/phone robbed, given chase to the thief only to find themselves confronted by a larger group in some alley where they're robbed of whatever else they have on them.

You know, looking back now and fretting at my stupidity, I didn't even think of that. I was just worried about the dangers of either being hit by a car while I was trying to dodge them, or getting stabbed by the thief.

My Girlfriend had mixed feelings, mostly worried about me getting hurt over something that was not solely consequential to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

When I got back, the victim praised me. But just about everyone else scolded me calling me a fool and an idiot for risking my life for someone that I did not even know.
    Get stabbed over a purse? Not a chance. If she was being physically assaulted I would step in though, and have in the past.
    mikemac1 wrote: »
    Get an actor, dress him up rough and have him collapse outside a train station, people stay walking

And I think I would do the same. Got a punch off a wino in Eyre Sq Galway once and that place was just full of winos.

Then get a smartly dressed actor, hits the ground and gets help swiftly
    Police are trained not to immediately approach or touch someone collapsed on the ground in case they get a jab of a needle, verbal assistance only at first. There's more to these situations than armchair psychology.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Mr. Rager

I wouldn't even think about it tbh. I'd just sprint after the attacker, robber etc, thinking I could make a difference. Hate to see people get robbed or attacked.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 216 ✭✭Tommy Dillon

depends how hot she was really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Dan Chipowski

• Site Banned Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Lionel Messy

I'd get another beer and pretend to care about what just happened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭donkey balls

Jaysus this happened to me about 15 yrs ago I was on my way into town on the bus when I caught two scumbags at the corner of my eye attacking a women draging her down a lane trying to get her handbag,I got the bus driver to stop the bus straight away hopped off and ran after the two scumers from memory one of them got a flying kick of me.
    Anyway I called the Gardai on my then brick of a mobile when they arrived I headed of to meet the lads in the pub a few days later the girl called me to thank me for helping her out.
    I'm getting on the wrong side of thirty now but would still do it without a blink but wether I could catch the scumbags would be another thing,I have some mates that would do the same and others who would probely freeze.

Ares wrote: »
    Can anyone remember the case last year, I think it was in Ennis where some lad attacked another lad in some public place stabbing him with about 50 people watching and not one did a single thing.

Pretty sad that its come to this.

Edit; Found it. http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/1212/clare.html

People in groups are retarded quite simply. Cowards following the herd mentality of someone else will intervene.

Persons are intelliegent, people are incredibly stupid.

The trouble is what do you do in a situation like that? You're only allowed to take "appropriate action" or whatever. Unless you've a chance to kick them in the head you're almost certainly getting stabbed, if you do kick them in the head some arsehole could have you in prison or paying massive compo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

So,

Today I found myself enjoying the lovely weather and eating at a restaurant. Half way through my meal I heard the screams of a woman from across the establishment. Looking over I saw her hanging over her table and a scumbag sprinting away with her purse in hand.

Now, there were many men there, men bigger than me. But, they did nothing, not even bat an eye lid, nor did the staff. For some stupid reason I took off in pursuit, charging down a busy street dodging fast moving traffic and nearly being ran down and killed.

I don`t know why I did it, but I did. I am looking back now fretting over how I was nearly killed/seriously wounded.

When did I become foolish in Ireland to be a vigilante, when did it become okay for men to not even bat an eye lid at women being assaulted?

Fair game if it was a man of course.

Fair game if it was a man of course.

Well duh, women don't do anything to deserve violence, men do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭donegal_road

I was in this position one time back in '94. Myself and another guy managed to pull three people from a burning car. The driver had fallen asleep and the car went off the road and landed upside down, 20 foot below into a stream. The people were disorientated from the shock, the driver was imobile because of a broken leg. We managed to haul him out of the car, and pulled the other two women up the embankment, but at that stage the flames had engulfed the car, and we couldn't reach the last person, a woman in her late 70's, who appeared unconscious and to this day I think she probably died from the initial impact, perished in the fire. We won an award for this, we were interviewed by Pat Kenny on RTE1, Marty Whelan on the morning show, and presented with holiday vouchers at a function in the Burlington Hotel. You have to make an on-the-spot descision in this cirrcumstance, I can't remember thinking of the danger until we were right beside the car. This thread has brought back many memories, Im off to bed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,178 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Have tried to help out in a good few cases like that before. All but one were for no thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

It's hard to know how you would react, really. I saw a girl on the street crying and trying to get away from this guy who was being really aggressive with her. I ran over with a friend (dressed as Cruella De Vil, not sure who was more scared).

He was surprised enough to let her go and she ran off.

The bystander effect is fascinating, the murder of Kitty Genovese was one of the saddest things I've ever heard about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

So,

also if this old lady could foil a jewellery store robbery anything can be done

did u catch the scumbag and get back her handbag?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭CL7

I would jump in if someone was being assaulted, yes. Would I run down the street in pursuit of some scumbag for a purse? You've got to be fuking kidding me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

Reminds me of this scene from the excellent show Black Books

• Advertisement
Advertisement