Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would you risk your life?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Half way through my meal I heard the screams of a woman from across the establishment. Looking over I saw her hanging over her table and a scumbag sprinting away with her purse in hand.

Was she hot?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭mongdesade

I had a friend who intervened when he witnessed a male skanger outside Amiens Street Dart station physically attack a female he was with...
    As he was restraining the male, the female reached into her pocket, produced a nail file & slashed his face requiring over 40 stitches...go figure !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Liam90

Its called the fight or flight reaction and your brain decided to fight. I think thats a good thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭RedXIV

I remember years and years ago, when I would have been about 14 or 15 and walking towards croke park when a scumbag ran up and stole my cousin's novelty hat. I was already running after him without thinking until my older cousin caught my arm and said it'd be a stupid thing to get into a fight for.

Since then I seem to have calmed down but I like to think I'd get involved in something that needed my help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Sure more people will come to help if its a fire then a rape

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I'd judge it on the size of the scumbag, if i thought i could take him then yes i'd go after him but if he was much bigger than i am i probably wouldnt risk it.

I once was in freebird records at the back of the central bank and a scum bag came in and started arranging t-shirts into a neat pile, i seen what he and walked outside the door and stood partially blocking it, next thing he came running out and i tripped him. He fell in a heap at the door and the fella from behind the counter came out and jumped on him. Another scum bag came along and tried to get the shop assistant of him and i grabbed him around the neck and fúcked him on to his back as hard as i could. I seen two guards coming walking along and walked over to them and told them that i think the shop owner was in bother and simply walked away into the crowd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Enkidu

LordSmeg wrote: »
    Personally I think I'd risk my life as long as I was sure I wouldnt embarrass myself. Nothing worse than making a show of yourself in public. So I wouldnt be chasing anyone but may or may not jump in front of a bus to save a pretty lady.
    :confused::eek: I think risking my life would be worse than public embarrassment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

CJC999 wrote: »
    I'd judge it on the size of the scumbag, if i thought i could take him then yes i'd go after him but if he was much bigger than i am i probably wouldnt risk it.

I once was in freebird records at the back of the central bank and a scum bag came in and started arranging t-shirts into a neat pile, i seen what he and walked outside the door and stood partially blocking it, next thing he came running out and i tripped him. He fell in a heap at the door and the fella from behind the counter came out and jumped on him. Another scum bag came along and tried to get the shop assistant of him and i grabbed him around the neck and fúcked him on to his back as hard as i could. I seen two guards coming walking along and walked over to them and told them that i think the shop owner was in bother and simply walked away into the crowd.

Fair play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Probably wouldn't get involved (I can't run for shít would probably be the main excuse).

However I could be of service with the after incident commentry between bystanders and a victim. I can "tut" at the rate of six per second so could be very beneficial with my verbal inputs.

Combining "thats disgraceful", "fecking scumbags these days" and "thieving bastárds" with my 6 TPS, I think would be more of a help than getting stabbed for a Penneys purse whilst hyperventilating from running.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

Plazaman wrote: »

I can "tut" at the rate of six per second so could be very beneficial with my verbal inputs.

soundcloud link or gtfo :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭flanders1979

Depends on the humour I was in since the damsel in distress was probably not minding her stuff anyway. Some junkie stealing to shoot up heroin wouldn't think twice about sticking a knife or needle into you if you cornered him or her.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

involve the police call them on your phone, but dont go over acting the hero worst thing anybody,could do you could end up learning a difficult lesson, if you survive it, come out alive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brendog

I don't mind helping other people but to be honest I wouldn't go to the degree you did OP.

Only example where I would help is if I was down the road and the scumbag was running past. I'd knock him down and hold him until the woman arrived.

Its not a matter of bravery, more the fact that I'm not fit enought to run after anyone. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Pedro K

In response to the OP, I would like to think I would help yes. I have helped when incidents have happened on my road in the past, but maybe that's not the same, as the people I was helping were neighbours and not total strangers.

There was one incident in Liffey Valley shopping centre though. Not one involving confrontation, but showing the bystander effect.

I was going to the cinema and used the bathroom beforehand. As I was using the urinal I noticed there was a handicapped man in a motorised wheelchair in the door of the disabled cubicle. He was also mentally handicapped and couldn't talk properly either. He was clearly distressed though. Nearly crying at one stage. A fair amount of people just walked out the door past him.

I finished peeing, washed my hands and went over to him. I asked him was he alright and was someone looking after him. He gestured to the control panel on the wheelchair.

It turned out, as he was reversing into the cubicle, the cable going from the control panel to, what I assume, was the motor got caught on something and fell out.

I reconnected it, he gestured and made a noise somewhat resembling thank you.

I couldn't help but think though, how long was he there before I got there and had I done nothing how long could he have stayed there. It must have been hell for him. Can't talk, can't move properly and everyone just walking past the poor lad like he was a leper.

I also couldn't believe how many people just walked past him.

I guess I'd be a little more in tune with mentally handicapped people, as my uncle, who died quite young at 39, was mentally handicapped, and I often looked after him.

I described some of the things my uncle went through in another post in the past. link to post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Remember years ago there were two tiny female Gardai struggling to keep a fairly big african lad on the ground at the corner of Westmoreland Street in town,the lad kept trying to bite them and headbutt them when they were trying to handcuff him,it was about 9pm on a summer evening and the street was fairly busy but no one was helping them,a few of the local scumbags were actually shouting abuse and laughing at them.

I asked if they wanted a hand and they did,so I just basically sat on the fella's back til more Guards arrived and they finally got him in the back of a van.They were very thankful for the help afterwards,and I told them I was surprised that nobody offered to help them but they siad that its fairly common for people to ignore stuff like that,even on a busy street in daylight.Crazy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Yeah a guy stealing a purse could potentially have a knife or needle, it isnt worth risking your life. Would only get involved if someone was getting assaulted.

• I think risking your life over a phone or a wallet is ridiculous. Wouldn't even think about doing it and make no apologies for that.

If someone's life was in danger, I'd help but probably not risk my own life to do so unless it was a family member or close friend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

No one knows unless the occasion happens to them. We all feel brave thinking about situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Ares wrote: »
    Can anyone remember the case last year, I think it was in Ennis where some lad attacked another lad in some public place stabbing him with about 50 people watching and not one did a single thing.

Pretty sad that its come to this.

Edit; Found it. http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/1212/clare.html

People in groups are retarded quite simply. Cowards following the herd mentality of someone else will intervene.

Persons are intelliegent, people are incredibly stupid.
    Needs to be sewn onto a pillow:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Get an actor, dress him up rough and have him collapse outside a train station, people stay walking

And I think I would do the same. Got a punch off a wino in Eyre Sq Galway once and that place was just full of winos.

Then get a smartly dressed actor, hits the ground and gets help swiftly

Interesting but not surpising

I think thats kind of stupid, its not that I wouldnt have helped those people, its just the girl didnt look ill or dead or anything, I just would have thought she was drunk and had passed out.

Then the first guy I would have just thought he was a junkie and was gone mug me if I tried to help him,its not that I just wouldnt help him because nobody else would.The last guy, the suit I would have helped but not just because he was in a suit its just he looked least likely to be lying on a street and so itd seem most strange and I would go to help him.

The girl looked to comfortable the way she was lying , if she was face down or something and didnt just look drunk I definitely would help her.

And anyway I was in London just last week and this guy about 20 years old dressed sort of the same casual way as the first guy in the video fell of his bike and about 5 londoners went up to him straight away to see if he was alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 Lannigan

Frankly I think what you did was not only brave but incredibly unselfish.
    Dublin, Ireland in fact has become a country of selfish mé Feiners. As long as I am not involved id doesn't concern me.
    If we had more people like you who is prepared to stand up and say that this behaviour is unacceptable, our crime rate would be halved.
    Now don't get me wrong, I am not advocating have a go hero sort of actions. Just enough people to say no or to block the guy you chased.
    As far as I am concerned, the guys that didn't do anything are cowards and those that criticised you are even worse.
    Well done to you sir I applaud your bravery and your actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭studdlymurphy

I would have ran out after him and as soon as I got out of view just casually go on about my buisness. Theres nothing better than a free meal.....

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭dave3004

That was a brave thing you did.

You are a hero.

A genuine hero.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Would of chased them too tbh. But my GF would of killed me afterwards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

I think you were really stupid to be honest. It's a effing purse, not a baby. Material items do not matter, the safest thing to do was to forget about it.

It reminds me of the time my boyfriend (as he then was) and me were walking home in Dublin city centre and we saw a guy "bounce" his girlfriends head off the closed shutters on the shops on the street. When my boyfriend and his mates intervened the girl started having a go at them and attacking them.

So it's not a case of being ignorant or selfish, it's about safety and preservation.

We went to a place that was safe and the rang the cops to report the domestic assault, which she probably denied anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

I think it's only right to do something
    I remember 5 year ago was in nightclub with bout ten of me mates and this young lad we didn't know kept buying drink for us and was left by his mates so we put up with him he was actually sound lad but after club closed we were at the chipper and some lad out of nowhere just swung at him and I grabbed the bloke and threw him against the wall of the chipper and hit him a few digs
    the lad that got hit his mates turned up and gave me all sorts of praise sayin they had lost him during the night and were lookin for him and thankin me sayin not many would've stood in
    Unfortunately the lad that swung at him also had a few mates and big brawl happened with one lad pullin out a blade he didn get to use it as my mate floored him suppose you could say there are consequences with one ir two of us lookin a bit banged up and it could've gotten worse but wouldn't of felt right to not help the young lad out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

It seems they beat the punctuation out of you :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 177 ✭✭Memory Of 98

Some interesting views here. There is not much middle ground it seems, either definately yes, or definately no.

I have to say, some of the stories were very moving, some of the people who posted deserve a round of applause. From dragging people from burning cars to drop kicking drug addicted scanger's into alleyways to save women.

I hope that everyone who said "ignore" will have some interveners nearby to help them if they ever get into trouble, and not just some fellow ignorer's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

If I was near and aware enough ,yes I would try and help.

• Site Banned Posts: 161 ✭✭John37

I think risking your life over a phone or a wallet is ridiculous. Wouldn't even think about doing it and make no apologies for that.

If someone's life was in danger, I'd help but probably not risk my own life to do so unless it was a family member or close friend.

True

Would only risk my life for a close family member bot no way a friend or stranger. Blood is thicker then water;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

It seems they beat the punctuation out of you :rolleyes:

Gramma Nazi's are a total pain in the hole!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

RachaelVO wrote: »

Grammar =/= punctuation

I don't care if people grammar errors like spelling the word 'grammar' wrong. ;)
    However I do care when people post walls of text with no fullstops commas or capital letters because its difficutl and anooying to read and decipher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I often physically try to stop people fighting (drunk people usually) on the streets/in clubs. It's something that I've instinctively done for years. Which is weird because I'm a girl. It often shocks people and I get given out to about it a lot...don't know why I do it really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

Did ye get the ride?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

RachaelVO wrote: »
    superflous apostrophe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

id help

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Private Piles

Yep, I'd have done the same OP.

Not too sure if it's a good thing though... I always just react instantly, no thought, nothing, just a reflex action!
    Afterwards it's all a blur!

Once years ago, walking on Baggot St, a bus stopped at the junction where I was crossing. In the corner of my eye I saw a girl leaning against the bus window with a back pack on. There was an guy standing REALLY close behind her, he was very slowly opening the zip of her back pack.
    He was doing it in such a way that I instinctively knew he was up to no good.

This would have been hidden from view of the rest of the passengers, you could only see it from the street. Next thing I know I'm standing in the middle of the road banging and pounding on the bus window, half mouthing/half screaming ''He's trying to rob you,...ROB YOU...'' and pointing at her bag and the guy.

Then I just turned around and walked off as if nothing had happened. :confused:

Like that's what I think is slightly alarming, that you can just react to something whether you want to or not!!

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Vicar in a tutu

Lia_lia wrote: »
    I often physically try to stop people fighting (drunk people usually) on the streets/in clubs. It's something that I've instinctively done for years. Which is weird because I'm a girl. It often shocks people and I get given out to about it a lot...don't know why I do it really.

I have a friend that does the exact same thing, we give out to her alot because you just dont know if things could turn really nasty and she would end up worse for wear, especially drunk people! they'd just turn on ya!:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,875 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Fair play to you OP...decent thing for you to do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭IsMiseLisa

I'd help.

I was chilling in my house one day when I heard screams for help. At first I thought I was hearing things, and it was night time so I was kinda scared, but she only screamed louder so I went to them, barefoot and all. I found a domestic, wherein a lad was trying to strangle his pregnant girlfriend. Stuck myself right in the middle of it, which was stupid, I guess. He could have really hurt me, but if I'd have left it I'm sure he'd have killed her and their baby. Sick f-ck.

The sad thing is she didn't want me to call the guards.

I've never felt adrenaline like it.

That said, if a task involved me chasing someone down, I wouldn't do it as I'm lazy and unfit. Likewise, if there was more than one attacker, I don't know how I'd react.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Paco Rodriguez

Didnt bother voting as you dont really care about what overs would do.

Well done on your bravery......there,I said it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Jammy Donut

I'd like to think I would help.... When adrenaline takes over, you don't think about risks.

Anyway remember a few years ago walking down the street, a knacker robbed a handbag through the open window of a car in traffic, there was a bus behind her and the door flew open and about 5 massive lads took off after him..... Caught him, few slaps to teach him a lesson, came back gave back the handbag and back into the bus like nothing happened :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Varied

People in here should form the new A-Team.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

I knew a person who ran after a thief after he had stole from the post office, he ended up being shot and later died.

Material things are not worth risking one's life over.

Advertisement