Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is Joan Burton actually capable of answering the question posed?

• 29-05-2012 11:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭

Not trolling, I've actually just realized that I've never seen this happen once in an interview with her, she either hits back with her own question or makes a completely irrelevant soundbite statement which has nothing to do with what was asked.

And this isn't just because I'm a no supporter, I noticed this even before I voted in the General Election. Am I being unfair or is this actually true? Has she ever answered the question?

And if not, why do the Labour Party continue to have her in a position as one of their main debators when it comes to TV shows and interviews?
    I wasn't impressed by Eamonn Gilmore's performance on Frontline last week but he was definitely better than Joan was either tonight, or indeed on any debate I've seen her take part in in living memory.

Am I being harsh, or am I on the button here?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

It's not just her, it's very very rare that you get a direct and informative answer from any politician to the questions asked. If they don't outright go off on a tangent there's always some subtle reference to something else of a dig at another party etc.

They're coached to answer like this, aren't they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

They are like teflon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,307 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Not trolling, I've actually just realized that I've never seen this happen once in an interview with her, she either hits back with her own question or makes a completely irrelevant soundbite statement which has nothing to do with what was asked.

And this isn't just because I'm a no supporter, I noticed this even before I voted in the General Election. Am I being unfair or is this actually true? Has she ever answered the question?

And if not, why do the Labour Party continue to have her in a position as one of their main debators when it comes to TV shows and interviews?
    I wasn't impressed by Eamonn Gilmore's performance on Frontline last week but he was definitely better than Joan was either tonight, or indeed on any debate I've seen her take part in in living memory.

They all do this, Sinn Fein are in my opinion the best at twisting and not answering questions, everyone else does it very obviously but with them you really need to think through exactly what they said, whoever they have training them is very good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Ah, so perhaps a better question would be, why is it that Joan Burton incapable of being subtle about it? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

I will answer this post if you just stop talking over me. Now, the question you've posed here is actually one that we have dealt with and have brought to the attention of all those within the party. We are very aware of this issue and it been made clear as such. We realize there are decisions to be taken and are prepared to make these big decisions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,595 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

I'm not trying to be funny, but her ability to not answer a question posed probably is the reason why she's always marched out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭Laminations

Joan Burton was v poor but I think Simon Coveney did excellently on VB

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Coveney is a dreadful politician, but I think Joan Burton is probably the most odious creature ever devised by the dark heart of (wo)man. Every time I see her speak publically an undercurrent of rage and despair overwhelms. She is a living embodiment of why we deserve our current economic and political malaise, a living example of the poor quality of our political class and by extension our citizenry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Denerick wrote:
    but I think Joan Burton is probably the most odious creature ever devised by the dark heart of (wo)man.

I think this type of comment is unfair and quite out of proportion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,921 ✭✭✭gifted

It also highlights the how poor the people asking the questions are. Wonder would Jeremy Paxman be available? He would make mince meat out of our politicians :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

I'm no fan of her interview skills, but I think she has been one of the most effective ministers in the government so far, along with Ruari Quinn.

That's not to say that she's particularly good, just that, compared to most of the rest...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 930 ✭✭✭poeticseraphim

The trick is to not ask them questions... but to present them with evidence and carefully constructed premises and the odd Paxman bludgeon to throw them off....we have unprofessional cowards who are afraid to do their duty as journalists.

And it is widespread into newspapers and tv in this country ....they are afraid or do not care to say anything ofreal consequence

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 564 ✭✭✭thecommietommy

Is any politican actually capable of answering the question posed ?? ??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 564 ✭✭✭thecommietommy

The trick is to not ask them questions... but to present them with evidence and carefully constructed premises and the odd Paxman bludgeon to throw them off....we have unprofessional cowards who are afraid to do their duty as journalists.

And it is widespread into newspapers and tv in this country ....they are afraid or do not care to say anything ofreal consequence
    You mustn't watch the Vincent Brown show or Sean O'Rourke on the Week in Politics. Stephen Nolan on BBC NI is quite good also on Wdnesdays with his Nolan show.

Give me VB any day before Paxman, cann't see anything special about him meself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

A politician will only answer a question if it suits their agenda and party policies. If it doesn't a tangent will be developed to try sway the questions towards something that suits their agenda.

What we need is presenters with a greater backbone, refusing to move on till the question is answered. If the politician is continually pushed to answer a question and doesn't it, it's poor press for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭cyberhog

Ah, so perhaps a better question would be, why is it that Joan Burton incapable of being subtle about it? :D

I guess she hasn't read "The Artful Dodger: Answering the Wrong Question the Right Way"
    The objective of artful dodgers, of course, is to fail to answer the actual question and to ensure that listeners to fail to notice.

A successful dodge occurs when a speaker's answer to the wrong question is so compelling that the listener both forgets the right one, and rates the dodger positively. In some cases, speakers end up better off by answering the wrong question well rather than the right question poorly.

http://hbswk.hbs.edu/item/6050.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

I actually think she is one of the more direct politicians.

Most (all) politicians dodge awkward questions.
    Its how it works, when everybody asking the questions is out to get a story out of you.
    I mean if you say anything that can be interpreted (or misinterpreted) in anyway that could be a big story, the interviewer/journalist/moderator will go postal and it will be all over every damn news outlet in the next hour.

Better off not answering, its the times we live in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Good loser

For example the 'Wealth Tax' question. Those advocating cannot scurry away fast enough (burning rubber) once any detail is sought.

No one yet has referred to the 1970's 1% wealth tax which raised, I believe, less than £10 million per annum.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Cool Story Bro

She is under a spin doctors spell. Like all the government

• Registered Users Posts: 7,009 ✭✭✭conorhal

This is unfortunately a product of the spin media training industry. By the time you've been polished to a high sheen by the likes of Terry Prone's Media Clinic you won't be able to answer a simple question such as 'what time is it?' without a digression to 'stay on message'.

The amount of time and money parties spend training politicians not to answer questions is a disgrace, they should all be shot up with Sodium Pentathol before every big debate, now THAT would make for some intresting TV!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

Okay,i dont like joan burton,and i think she doesnt come off well in interviews always looks angry,the jobbridge thing is what has my mind made up on her,giving away free labour workers to big tax evading multinationals no no..do not like her one bit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Sorry OP this is slightly off topic but the theme is really still the same. Yesterday while watching footage of Enda Kenny in the Dáil on RTE News. I was reminded as to why I now rarely bother to watch anything Dáil related. Two opposition leaders ask Enda a very simple, straightforward and valid question. Yet he proceeds to waffle, bullshít and say everything except answer the very simple question. Sadly this exchange just served to remind me, of the high quality of ineptitude and incompetence holding sway over the reigns of power in this country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Politicians will all avoid difficult questions.

I have no doubt they get training in how to do it and make it sound like they have actually answered.

I had another thread about Joe Higgins doing the same thing and avoiding answering a question 5 times v Sean O'Rourke last week.

But my greatest issue is with the interviewers. They have all the power, as long as they have time left on the programme. They can ask, ask, ask, ask, ask a la Paxman, and embarrass them and show them up for what they are. But unfortunately very few will do this. More should.

I'd love to see an interviewer say, "tell you what, I am going to ask you the question again, and if you don't answer it, then the interview is over, you can leave". And then follow through on it! It would be all over the news and the politician would be shown up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 836 ✭✭✭rumour

NIMAN wrote: »
    I'd love to see an interviewer say, "tell you what, I am going to ask you the question again, and if you don't answer it, then the interview is over, you can leave".

And following that a request from the board of said media organization to secure employment elsewhere or become the 'nuacht' reader for the hard of hearing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Mary Harney was the greatest "master" of this i ever say, ask her a question and she goes of on some monotone waffle with a few big words thrown in, she could answer 5 different questions with the same meandering claptrap. Made a career out of getting top jobs and achieving and saying absolutly nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Politicians will all avoid difficult questions.

I have no doubt they get training in how to do it and make it sound like they have actually answered.

I had another thread about Joe Higgins doing the same thing and avoiding answering a question 5 times v Sean O'Rourke last week.

But my greatest issue is with the interviewers. They have all the power, as long as they have time left on the programme. They can ask, ask, ask, ask, ask a la Paxman, and embarrass them and show them up for what they are. But unfortunately very few will do this. More should.

I'd love to see an interviewer say, "tell you what, I am going to ask you the question again, and if you don't answer it, then the interview is over, you can leave". And then follow through on it! It would be all over the news and the politician would be shown up.

Great idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Babooshka

Totally agree, it's as if a lot of the top reporters/interviewers are too scared to push it though sometimes, probably because we're all such a tight little community, sure, they have to rub shoulders at the Galway races then, and it'd be awkward for them, so ah sure, I am sure they're content thinking "I did my best, he just wouldn't answer the question" and go home then, RTE especially seem very pally with a lot of politicians, sure what hope have we of any truth really.

Advertisement