Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drool rash

Options
  • 29-05-2012 11:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭

Hi my 7month old has a really bad rash on both cheeks for months doc keeps telling me its teething and will go away and come back.
    anyone experience anything similar, if so what did they use to get rid of it
    to date i have tried sudocreme mixed with parafin gel, calundela creme, silcox base in bath, emulsifying ointment ,
    doc told me to use hydro cortizone for flare ups which gets rid of it but then it just returns,
    changed his milk from aptamil to sma seems to have eased it initially but its back again
    please advice

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

If it is from drool then use Vaseline as a barrier on it. It will stop it getting irritated more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

When my daughter had a similar rash on her cheeks the GP told me it was baby acne & got me to rub olive oil on it, it cleared the rash within a few days.

I also agree with moonbeam about using vaseline to act as a barrier.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Vaseline as a barrier, silcox base or olive oil to treat it. I personally wouldn't put hydrocortisone on a newborns skin.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭deeks

Our daughter gets a very bad rash on her cheeks anytime shes teething. Tried silcox base, sudocreme etc but nothing seemed to do much good. We then tried e45 cream and the results were amazing. Rash cleared up in a matter of days. We use it the minute we see the rash beginnning to develop now and it never gets that bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

Is the rash from his drooling or on her cheeks from general teething? If its a drool irritation on his chin from, well, drooling then the vaseline is the best barrier.

If it's on both cheeks like really rosy cheeks this can sometimes happen with teething but to have it so often and for so long i'd be looking for another opinion.. i suspect your gp might be giving you the fob off. .hydrocortizone is a very strong cream and i'd be more interested in finding out what causing the rash rather than just treating the rash itself. . how often does it flare up? and is there anything that makes it flare more often other than teeth?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Mylittle man has this, it all happened one night, the top of his vest was wet and I changed it int he dim light in bed when I work up he had open sores underneath his chin from ear to ear and on his cheekbones each side. I'd never seen anything like it.

I've been using vaseline every morning and 2 bibs (I hate bibs!) and olive oil everynight. I take off his top, cover him in olive oil and put him on the play mat for an hour. I have 1% HC cream but wouldn't dream of putting it on his skin. Looks like he has his dad's skin so he'll probably see plenty Hc cream in his life.

I'll try the E45 cream, was it this one:

IDShot_225x225.jpg

as opposed to the lotion etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭deeks

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Mylittle man has this, it all happened one night, the top of his vest was wet and I changed it int he dim light in bed when I work up he had open sores underneath his chin from ear to ear and on his cheekbones each side. I'd never seen anything like it.

I've been using vaseline every morning and 2 bibs (I hate bibs!) and olive oil everynight. I take off his top, cover him in olive oil and put him on the play mat for an hour. I have 1% HC cream but wouldn't dream of putting it on his skin. Looks like he has his dad's skin so he'll probably see plenty Hc cream in his life.

I'll try the E45 cream, was it this one:

IDShot_225x225.jpg

as opposed to the lotion etc?

Yeah thats the one. They sell tubs of it in Tesco and its very reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 irltonto

thanks for the feedback, the rash is on his cheeks and his neck, tried vaseline as a barrier it didn't seem to work, my gp keeps saying this is what happens when they are teething but its more than that, will prob have to get a referal to a dermatologist in the end, he is wearing gloves at night taped on because he keeps opening up his face with his nails eventhough i keep cutting them its very frustrating for him and me

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭MaxCharlie

Re the gloves -try putting babys socks on his hands instead of gloves. The socks stay on much better particularly when you pull over sleeves of top. My little lad has exema and when he gets irritated he goes for his head and side of face and socks are the only job. You could also put a little bit of vaseline and rub around nails to help soften the nail. I used to use silcox for his head and face and joint areas and it worked originally and then stopped working, i now use aveno with the blue label and that is working and it appears to soak better into the skin to control the dryness.

Much better after the e45 cream!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

This sounds so stupid and im sorry for stating the obvious....but if its drool related and you're putting the barrier creams on like sudocream and vaseline, the skin is dry before you apply them aren't they? Otherwise you're locking the moisture in

Yeah, a good wipe, dry with a soft towel, then cream. Seriously going through 12 bibs per day. Poor lad had to wear pink ones yesterday as I ran out, but the e45 is def helping.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nicowa

My little one had it under her chin. I used caldesene powder to dry it (it's medicated too) and then put sudocrem on it. Both are for healing. Once the sudocrem wipes off (cos it comes off on the bibs) you could put some vasiline on after. But her's was gone in a day or two - I know your little one's rash sounds worse.

But I will be trying that sock trick! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

you can treat it, but it's better to prevent or minimise the drool in the first place, which is what we did.

i was sceptical at first, but one of the best things we ever bought was an amber teething necklace from amazon.

a lot of the time we only know he's teething if we forget to put it back on after he's been bathed.

the other thing for when it's really bad and he still drools is that we put on dribble proof bandana bibs which will catch most of the drool and stop it from soaking into his clothes and causing a rash.

between those two and using e45 cream to treat any remaining rash, we're pretty much sorted and despite some severe teething right now (he's 9 months and his first 2 top teeth are about to poke through), drool related rashes are minimal at most.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

You could try La Roche Posay Lipikar Balm AP, you can get it in chemists, think its around €12. We used it when our little one was smaller and getting rashes on her face from being exposed to new things and it works great.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,998 ✭✭✭3DataModem

My 2 year old is very same... cortisone works but can't use it forever. Vaseline is only thing that works.

Tried the caldasine too just on the off chance, my mum said talc, so thought medicated powder would be better.

Got loads of samples of La Roche Posay Lipikar Balm AP in Sam McCauleys's, didnt really find it very good. There's a lovely lady who suffers with dry skin and she gave the samples to my other half.

Where I put the e45 last night is red... should have done a patch test first, of course i always do but didnt this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Unless it's itchy or painful for you baby, just leave it.

It's perfectly natural and like your GP said will come and go.

Either that or smear a load of expensive crap all over your baby's face every day, which probably won't do anything anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

There's allergenics skin cream available in chemists - its a natural alternative to steroid creams - contains vit e, Shea etc. I find it great!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 irltonto

Redpunto wrote: »
    You could try La Roche Posay Lipikar Balm AP, you can get it in chemists, think its around €12. We used it when our little one was smaller and getting rashes on her face from being exposed to new things and it works great.

I tried La Roche Posay and it definetly helped, I have been using it almost 3 weeks and my boys skin is much better though still has flare ups every now and then ,only solution now is to go to a dermatologist ,thanks for all the replys

I posted original message under bbosco

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭armabelle

bbosco wrote: »
    Hi my 7month old has a really bad rash on both cheeks for months doc keeps telling me its teething and will go away and come back.
    anyone experience anything similar, if so what did they use to get rid of it
    to date i have tried sudocreme mixed with parafin gel, calundela creme, silcox base in bath, emulsifying ointment ,
    doc told me to use hydro cortizone for flare ups which gets rid of it but then it just returns,
    changed his milk from aptamil to sma seems to have eased it initially but its back again
    please advice

In our case water in Ireland caused what you are describing and we see rashes constantly over baby and toddlers faces here in Ireland something that a lot of parents say is because of the climate (even in summer??). Anyhow, my little ones are free of rashes on cheeks thanks to completely taking out tap water from their lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭contrary_mary

My older son drooled a lot and we were constantly fighting against the rash under his chin. Eventually it got so bad that the skin cracked and bled. I have a friend who's a dermatologist and he prescribed a stronger steroid cream to clear it and then epaderm ointment (can buy in chemist) as a barrier to stop it coming back.

If you need to use HC 1% for a few days to get it cleared it won't do any harm - I think when it gets to a certain stage it needs a steroid

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Hopefully after 5 years the child is sorted already.

Advertisement