Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Grumpy Old Neighbours!

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭AdamB

Sharrow wrote: »
    If the tree is on your side of the boundary then he legally has to give you back the branches. He can cut what over hangs his property but if the tree is yours he has to give you the branches.

The tree grows on his side, so by law do I have to give him back his branches?
    I'd hate to break the law by keeping his branches, he keeps giving them back to me...... maybe he thinks they are olive branches? and I'm reading the situation arseways :P:P:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Sharrow wrote: »
    If the tree is on your side of the boundary then he legally has to give you back the branches. He can cut what over hangs his property but if the tree is yours he has to give you the branches.

From reading the OP, the tree belongs to the neighbour. So OP was well within his rights to return branches the neighbour chopped off HIS OWN tree that fell into OP's garden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Mance Rayder

AdamB wrote: »
    The tree grows on his side, so by law do I have to give him back his branches?
    I'd hate to break the law by keeping his branches, he keeps giving them back to me...... maybe he thinks they are olive branches? and I'm reading the situation arseways :P:P:P

Seriously AdamB you really don't know what a bad neighbor is, you should try living on my street in Ballymun. You would never complain about your grumpy old man again.

I completely agree this is complete pettiness.
    But I still dont want these branches
    Nor do I want him to be so vulgar to my girlfriend and he 10 year old again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭Dublin Chick

PM me your address and I will come over and get rid of the damn branches myself :rolleyes:

Get a load of masking tape and put those branches back on that poor tree

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Mance Rayder

I completely agree this is complete pettiness.
    But I still dont want these branches
    Nor do I want him to be so vulgar to my girlfriend and he 10 year old again.

To be honest I would just throw the branches over the wall into his garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 geoff2915

Call the guards and ask for the Special Branch.

The branches have been returned to their rightful owner.....

• Advertisement

Go round to his.

Tell him, "I noticed you left your branches with me, and legally I can't take them for you without your say so, so I just wanted to check that you wouldn't mind if I got rid of them". Be really polite, he'll be gobsmacked.

Then as you're leaving tell him that he should learn to be a man and not curse at women. Old people are really into the whole "be a man" thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Next time you are getting the guff & dirty looks, just smile and say "not long now, you'll be dead soon" & keep smiling

I'd also teach & encourage the dog to bark like fcuk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

geoff2915 wrote: »
    Call the guards and ask for the Special Branch.

i think you should offer them an olive branch before this problem becomes too deep rooted...

• Registered Users Posts: 21 geoff2915

Sounds like a total debarkle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Sluice them with liquid effluent, yore matriarch, bool crory, sro.

They have been out all day, so I have popped the following letter in their letter box.

Dear Mr & Mrs Grump,
    I have returned your branches to your property, legally they belong to you and I cannot accept them. Should you return them once again I shall deem it to be littering and action shall be taken.
    Also, if possible could you behave like a gentleman in front of my partner and child as your profanities yesterday are unacceptable.
    I really hope that this is the end of this childish and petty carry-on as I do not wish to play your little games!
    So lets start over!
    Have a nice day! :)
    our Cheerful Neighbour.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

They have been out all day, so I have popped the following letter in their letter box.

Dear Mr & Mrs Grump,
    I have returned your branches to your property, legally they belong to you and I cannot accept them. Should you return them once again I shall deem it to be littering and action shall be taken.
    Also, if possible could you behave like a gentleman in front of my partner and child as your profanities yesterday are unacceptable.
    I really hope that this is the end of this childish and petty carry-on as I do not wish to play your little games!
    So lets start over!
    our Cheerful Neighbour.

Some men just like to watch the world burn...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭Rocky_Dennis

Dear Mr & Mrs Grump,
    So lets start over!
    our Cheerful Neighbour.
    Pretty childish dropping a letter in his door instead of speaking to him man to man. Speaking to him face to face would solve more IMO, I think he would have more respect for you too, when he reads the letter, he is going to think to himself that you're a pussy :p

Childish maybe, but he has been away from home all day. I'd imagine he'll arrive home now he knows I've gone to work. The letter simply sums up what I will say to him when I meet him, hopefully the letter is enough to deter him from having another run in with my partner this evening while I'm not there.

This evening while we were out, in retaliation to the letter and branches he somehow cuts 2 large herbs in half (lovage, nothing illegal) the plants were growing on our side next to the dividing fence so I'm guessing he poked a knife through and cut away.
    I was fighting with slugs at the start or the herbs life, now he just lobs them in half..I give up!! My fault for retaliating in the first place I guess.... lesson learned???.. maybe!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Annunakicoming

Say
    Thanks for the lovely gift,u shouldn't have bothered,and plant them in your garden.....with a note attached saying..a gift from number ....?? In large a4 sheet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭funk-you

Diesel over the fence on the tree should do it. No more branches to worry about.You've got to be pro-active.

-Funk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

You need to respond to this behavior in a measured manner
    Steaming turd on his doorstep is the only answer.

No matter what I do or say to this knob it will just tit-for-tat over and back, then I'd do something stupid and it will be messier than it is. So I'll have a chat with him in the morning (if he doesn't go off and hide for the day like he did today) tell him what I think of him and leave it at that.... Not gonna let this crazy old man do my head in!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

OP do you mind if I ask you a question?

You say you have a partner?

Is she nice/fun/goodlooking/intelligent and you love her???

Do you have a job that you go to everyday?

Hobbies??

Yes?

Good, I'm glad to hear it!!!!!!

What happens with SOME oap's is that they do not have the above.

Little things like this to them BECOMES A HOBBY.

A hobby which is going to make your life a misery.

He will keep this up for way longer than you will ever ever want.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

Why is this thread still running? Ignore them ffs. Do something challenging for your mind because you obviously aren't using it to the best of your ability. This has become an obsession of sorts. I'm not judging you, but retaliating will not help either party.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 371 ✭✭Teagwee

No matter what I do or say to this knob it will just tit-for-tat over and back, then I'd do something stupid and it will be messier than it is. So I'll have a chat with him in the morning (if he doesn't go off and hide for the day like he did today) tell him what I think of him and leave it at that.... Not gonna let this crazy old man do my head in!

If you do this, it will not be the end of it, I guarantee it. Think about what you want to happen for the future [likely an end to all this and some peace]. Now consider what will undoubtedly happen if you try to get the last word [likely an all-out escalation of warfare from the Grumps, going on past behaviour].
    Turn this on its head now - do not retaliate, take a conciliatory approach or simply ignore the problem and go your own cheery way from now on. Likely outcome? An end to it all and some peace. Your choice, but think carefully. Be the bigger man here. You're at the point of an all consuming neighbourhood war and there'll be no easy way back. Is ANYTHING worth that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭vixdname

I still reckon Executing them both is the best and most diplomatic option left to you ....

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭fallen01angel

TBH I didn't read the entire thread,read your post and couldn't be bothered with the obiligatory blast em with piss comments. As far as I'm aware because the branches were overhanging onto your property it's your responsiblity to dispose of them, although on that train of thought your neighbour should have consulted you before tending to "your side of the tree".
    Now I think the best course of action for you and your OH to take is to knock on their door at a respectable hour and acknowledge the neighbourly deed of trimming the tree,maybe take a small gift,potted plant blah blah blah. If this kind gesture goes unthanked and frosty relations resume then feel free to.................I give up..................blast em with pee!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭micropig

Firewood for next winter OP?

I'd be over telling him the then it was the best firewood ever, burns a treat.

or

Make like a tree, leaf it in the trunk of his car, he'd be barking mad. Make sure to leaf no evidence for the special branch to find. Good luck, Bud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Put the branches through his window...

And leave an empty can or two around on the street and if he asks just say you saw some drunk teenagers passing and that they took the branches and broke the window.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

There's a certain inevitability about the latest addition to the Pillock family two doors down... them what all share the same Giggs 11 shirt? must have noticed there was a complete lack of barking disturbing peoples sleep on only moving in. how gracious of them

Note: "dog's gotta go" n I guess I'll have to do a mock up of this so-called community's signatures.. but least its real blood

The man is mental. Mrs Grump called to my OH and said she had no idea what is happening, she said he cut the cherry branches as he didnt want us to have any of his cherrys. I dont like cherrys!

When he saw that I had returned the branches he rubbed his hands like some kind of evil overlord, he was quite happy that I had taken the bait and played his game.

I'm just going to ignore him from now on, yesterday he cut plants in my garden through the fence and threw a handfull of his weeds over the fence too! This will spiral out of control if I keep playing his game. I reckon he'd be capable of poison my dog or some other crazy sh1te. So it's game over!
    Thanks for your help AH :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

So it's game over!

Yes for you :) He on the other hand has far too much time on his hands and your not going anywhere :) You should have just threw the branches in the bin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

I'm just going to ignore him from now on, So it's game over!

It should be game on!!!! Now you have just gone and ruined it for everybody, I was looking forward to seeing how it was all going to go :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,090 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

If you can set up a webcam on your gardan to monitor what he does next then send it into TV3 to commission a TV3 special on neighbours from hell!
    In all seriousness don't provoke him any further he sounds like he's a few cans short of a 6 pack, I would fear for your dog as well, it would be very easy for him to throw poison over the fence to kill your dog! So just be very weary of him!

I'm guessing it would be illegal for me to video Mr. Grump???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

A dispute about some tree branches? how quaint.
    In the years I've been living in this delightful town I've had neighbours engaging in drunken domestic violence- both indoors and outside their house-complete with seeing one of them washing away blood from their front yard, Guards knocking on their door at all hours including one incident of actually trying to break down their front door at about 3am, a child screaming incessantly at all hours, them and their friends parking their cars everywhere and continually blocking the exit to our front gate, late night parties with loud music, fighting, violence, intimidation if you went out to them...

Another house opposite us were dealing drugs and had a succession of junkies arriving every day to buy their gear-cue more Guards, violence, anti-social behaviour, vandalism to local property etc.
    Oh and all the while being treated to the constant blaring of hip hop blasting from their open windows.

My next door neighbour had their car burnt out one night beside their house, because that's a larf innit?
    Shall I go on?

It's eased off now as I live in a nice(er) part of town but roll on the day I can move out to the countryside as far away from humans as possible and the sh1t they bring with them.

Sartre was right-hell is other people.

grumble mutter...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

AFAIK it's completely legal to set up CCTV as long as it only shows your own property, not your neighbours or the street.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,520 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

vixdname wrote: »
    Be nice and friendly and invite them both over for a cup of tea to "Clear The Air" When you get them both over, beat them both repeatedly with a hammer to their heads until dead. Remove their clothing,Cut limbs from bodied and throw their remains into the pre dug hole you now have at the end of your garden.Cover the body parts with the lime you bought in B&Q and refill the hole with plenty of soil.Burn their clothes and was down the kitchen to get rid of any blood spatter etc.NOTE: Its good to have loud musoc playing while beting them with the hammer because unless you can use both hands with a hammer in each had at the same time, one of the victims will have the chance to scream...hence the loud music.......Mr. & Mrs. Grumpy no more....problem solved

You can't be fairer than that.

• Advertisement

Greentopia wrote: »
    A dispute about some tree branches? how quaint.
    In the years I've been living in this delightful town I've had neighbours engaging in drunken domestic violence- both indoors and outside their house-complete with seeing one of them washing away blood from their front yard, Guards knocking on their door at all hours including one incident of actually trying to break down their front door at about 3am, a child screaming incessantly at all hours, them and their friends parking their cars everywhere and continually blocking the exit to our front gate, late night parties with loud music, fighting, violence, intimidation if you went out to them...

Another house opposite us were dealing drugs and had a succession of junkies arriving every day to buy their gear-cue more Guards, violence, anti-social behaviour, vandalism to local property etc.
    Oh and all the while being treated to the constant blaring of hip hop blasting from their open windows.

My next door neighbour had their car burnt out one night beside their house, because that's a larf innit?
    Shall I go on?

It's eased off now as I live in a nice(er) part of town but roll on the day I can move out to the countryside as far away from humans as possible and the sh1t they bring with them.

Sartre was right-hell is other people.

grumble mutter...
    Sure it was Oscar Wilde who said that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭cassid

eternal wrote: »

deffo J-P Sartre, I remember my first year philosophy on existentialism studying Sartre amongst others. I know read Thomas the tank engine, the 3 little bears, fireman sam and other great literary books of a similiar genre:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭alphabeat

you started all this by walking through his property, ie tresspassing ,

so the question should be : who the fcuk do you think you are ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭BnB

There is no doubt the right thing to do is walk away....

But if you can do that, you're a bigger man than me. I think if I was in the same situation, I would spend every single waking hour of my life, every single ounce of energy in my body, figuring out how to get him back.

My initial reaction is cut down the Cherry Tree.... But it's too simple.........
    How about taking his branch and superglueing it to his front window. Don't spare the superglue.

cassid wrote: »
    eternal wrote: »

deffo J-P Sartre, I remember my first year philosophy on existentialism studying Sartre amongst others. I know read Thomas the tank engine, the 3 little bears, fireman sam and other great literary books of a similiar genre:D
    There goes my English degree! I am sorry, it's been so oft quoted, it becomes benign.

alphabeat wrote: »
    you started all this by walking through his property, ie tresspassing ,

so the question should be : who the fcuk do you think you are ?

My partner walked across their driveway once which resulted in him reporting my dog(that doesn't bark and is under control all the time) him littering my garden on more than one occasion, him using threatening and abusive actions and language to my OH and child and him reaching through the back fence and cutting my herbs to shreds.....

What the fcuk are you trying to insinuate by posing this question?

• Advertisement

You said you'd been talking to his wife, and she hadn't know what her husband was up to, would you not ask her to tell him to stop being so mental?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

AH answer: 6 foot of piping, hammered at an angle from your property to under the tree and pour diesel down it.

Not nice put seeing as he seems to think that it is ok to dispose of things into your garden then it is only fair that you can dispose of the diesel into his

Super Bollix answer: Get a shredder and point the nozzle over his lawn and shred the branches. Let's see him pick those up.

Real answer: Ignore it and be super sick nice to them, offer to carry stuff for them etc. This takes some nerve on your part to stay cheery all the time but feck me will it annoy them

kylith wrote: »
    You said you'd been talking to his wife, and she hadn't know what her husband was up to, would you not ask her to tell him to stop being so mental?

I'm just gonna ignore him and stay out of their way, she has called the guards on him a few times for domestics so I wouldn't like to provoke him.

He put the branches in his general wheelie bin last night for collection, so I thought to myself maybe this is over. But the binmen wouldn't take them and threw them into the middle of his lawn...

He is nuts, end of.

So not just a nutter, but a violent nutter. Be really, really nice to him, and pour salt water on his favourite plants at night time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Any update on this? Has it branched out? (Sorry)

• Advertisement
Advertisement