Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Happy National Fish & Chips Day!

• 30-05-2012 12:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭

Half price fish & chips throughout Ireland today! :)

I'm gonna ate at least a half dozen portions, washed down with many pints of the black stuff, as I sit on the beach and get burnt! (or soaked, 'tis Ireland, ya never know).
    National Fish & Chips Day returns to celebrate the Irish Italian tradition of a ‘one and one’!

The Irish Traditional Italian Chippers Association (ITICA) is delighted to announce that National Fish & Chips Day will take place on Wednesday, 30th May. Following on from the success of previous year's celebrations, all ITICA member Chippers in Ireland will offer their customers half price Fish & Chips throughout the day to reflect the 125 year old tradition.

2010’s inaugural National Fish & Chips Day was a phenomenal success with over 180,000 people visiting their local ITICA Chipper to celebrate with a ‘one and one’. An incredible 65,000 pounds of fish and 360,000 pounds of potatoes were used by ITICA Chippers to keep up with demand on the day, with many having to close early as they ran out of Fish & Chips!

To further add to the celebrations, customers of ITICA member Chippers will also be in with a chance to win a brand new Kia Picanto on National Fish & Chips Day. Each customer will be presented with a scratchcard when they enter their local ITICA member Chipper on the day, with one lucky winner of the Kia Picanto, and over 200 additional prizes to be won.

Peter Borza, Chairman, ITICA, commented: “We were completely overwhelmed by the response to National Fish & Chips Day last year. The communities we have been part of for 125 years really engaged with the first annual celebration of the tradition. ITICA members reported two hour long queues outside their shops which I think demonstrates the Irish love for traditional Fish & Chips!”

“We established ITICA back in January 2010 to remind people of the tradition of Fish & Chips. Our aim was also to highlight the heritage behind the Irish Italian Chippers in Ireland and emphasise the important place they hold in modern Ireland today,” Peter continued. “We would like to take this opportunity to thank our local communities for their support and encourage everyone to pick up a ‘one and one’ this National Fish & Chips Day!”

Currently with over 200 members around the country, ITICA was created to promote and build on the traditional values and ethos of the Irish Italian chipper community. All ITICA member chippers carry the official ITICA logo which assures customers of the highest levels of quality and service.

The Irish Italian chipper culture was started by members of the Irish Italian community who arrived in Ireland in the 1880’s from the villages in Val Di Comino in Southern Italy.

Anyone recommended any of the Chippers on the list of participating chippers?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

And keep the change, ye filthy animal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

Off to Supermax I go.

Or is it supermacs?

Hmmmmm... A bitta food for thought...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Fook Schillaci!

• Site Banned Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Lionel Messy

But it's not Friday...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

But it's not Friday...

I believe a one 'Rebecca Black' will refute your claim.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Battered Mars Bar

Don't forget to bring a towel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Eggonyerface

If there's not much of a queue I might get something,but why would someone queue for two hours to get half price on something that isn't hugely expensive in the first place?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Off to Supermax I go.

Said nobody from Dublin

Ever...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

Dose dat include batter burgers loike?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

Keno 92 wrote: »
    I believe a one 'Rebecca Black' will refute your claim.

She will, but she would be wrong. Wrong on so many levels

• Advertisement

Off to Supermax I go.

Or is it supermacs?

Hmmmmm... A bitta food for thought...

Supermax? Is that some gay superhero or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Wonder would they be offering it if were to drive down now or will they be waiting until they open in the morning, I'm hungry and want half priced fish n chips pronto!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

Don't forget to bring a towel
    that's Steak & BJ day youre thinking of

pronto!!!!

I see what you did there ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Blew my load by going to the chipper 2 days ago, not sure I feel up for it today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Mr.Biscuits

Blew my load by going to the chipper 2 days ago, not sure I feel up for it today.

Just go and don't have a **** this time :p

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭FinnLizzy

Bollocks! There are no ITICA chippers in Sligo!

Looks like it's leftover bacon and cabbage for me tomorrow!

FinnLizzy wrote: »

Well, i'ts better than the horse sh!te, boss.

The feckin Italians have the whole thing sewn up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

Just had teh fish pie there.. big chunks of monkfish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Viral Vector

None in Connaught except for a crappy takeaway in Claregalway!

Donegal Catch Cod and Homemade Chips it is!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

But it's not Friday...

Fish and chips is traditionally served on Fridays in both Ireland and the UK. Dont know why but it always tastes better on Fridays......:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭AskMyChocolate

Wonder would they be offering it if were to drive down now or will they be waiting until they open in the morning, I'm hungry and want half priced fish n chips pronto!!!!

Aah Pronto! The grill in Ranelagh, where you could take a girl for a steak, and be poor without seeming TOO cheap!:D:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭AskMyChocolate

At least you're sober enough not to be considering Castlebar!

Gimme leftover bacon and cabbage any day of the week.

Castlebar.

*shudders*

FanadMan wrote: »
    Fish and chips is traditionally served on Fridays in both Ireland and the UK. Dont know why but it always tastes better on Fridays......:pac:

I'd say they chose a Wednesday to have this each year as that tends to be the slowest day of the week for 'em.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

You're in luck http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=78939578&postcount=29

Tony's in Enniscorthy does a HUGE cod & chips for a fiver every Wednesday so we get the benefits of National Fish & Chip day every week:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur

Off to Supermax I go.

Said nobody from Dublin

Ever...

I quite like Supermacs...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭dmcronin

Wonder why they ditched fine Italian cuisine and went in for, well, sh*te food?

dmcronin wrote: »

Market forces.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

Getting this later, yummy stuff and i havent had fish and chips in a long while tbh so looking forward to feeding up for half price today :D

oh just had a look at the chipper list there, cant see any that are in town, or are there? if anyone knows
    Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 paul_mcshane

i hate chips , chineese all the way

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Milky Moo

National Fish and chip day again! It feels like I just took down my decorations from last year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

Milky Moo wrote: »
    National Fish and chip day again! It feels like I just took down my decorations from last year!

what those ones made from greasy newspapers?

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Milky Moo

what those ones made from greasy newspapers?

Vinegar bottles of different colours and plastic forks dangling from a tree made of chips.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

dmcronin wrote: »

It was too hard to eat fine cuisine while staggering home from the pub.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Extra tartar sauce please!

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

****in sweet! Scampi and chips for me tonight then so! :)

candy-gal1 wrote: »
    oh just had a look at the chipper list there, cant see any that are in town, or are there? if anyone knows
    Thanks!

The Savoy on Fitzgibbon St would be the only one I think.

Morelli's in Thomas St, Borza in Christchurch, Bistro on Sth Circular, Mona Lisa in Crumlin, Embassy in Ballsbridge and the Fairview Grill are others close enough to town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

im having lasagne

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

The Savoy on Fitzgibbon St would be the only one I think.

Morelli's in Thomas St, Borza in Christchurch, Bistro on Sth Circular, Mona Lisa in Crumlin, Embassy in Ballsbridge and the Fairview Grill are others close enough to town.

Thats brilliant so, will be heading Thomas street or christchurch methinks so :D
    Thankies there :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SunnyDub1

what is the purpose of this day ? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭thunderdog

candy-gal1 wrote: »
    Thats brilliant so, will be heading Thomas street or christchurch methinks so :D
    Thankies there :)

Leo Burdocks are doing it too I think even though they aren't listed. They did it last year anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

i hate chips , chineese all the way

ì hate chinese, indian all the way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

really half price? i hope i dont go in to find 30 cents off or some bollix like that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Looking forward to eating some fish and chips for full price since that theres no italian chippers in my town :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

mikeym wrote: »
    Looking forward to eating some fish and chips for full price since that theres no italian chippers in my town :(

them chips will be bitter in taste without the discount

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 849 ✭✭✭petronius

great idea by the italian chippers association - maybe not as brilliant an idea as Arthurs day but marketing gold nonetheless
    tempted to have a one and one myself
    and yes maria salt and vinegar with that please a
    and pop the change in the capucian collection box
    ciao

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

SunnyDub1 wrote: »
    what is the purpose of this day ? :confused:

Is the concept confusing?

Just finished my smoked cod and chips for a massive €3.85. Delicious Valley Cafe as always.

Domo230 wrote: »
    Do people actually call fish and chips a 1 and 1?

A Dublin thing

They also order a single
    Or a curry chip

Dubs are strange

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I've heard a bag of chips being called a 'single' before but never heard of 1 and 1.

Only 2 places in Galway doing it. Debating whether I want to deter from my healthy eating plan or not :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement