Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Happy National Fish & Chips Day!

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

Domo230 wrote: »
    Do people actually call fish and chips a 1 and 1?

yup pronounced 'wan and wan' only in the inner city though, idk why
    mikemac1 wrote: »

They also order a single
    Or a curry chip

they also order a potato cake

i hate chips

everybody throw chips at paul

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Only 2 places in Galway doing it. Debating whether I want to deter from my healthy eating plan or not :D

Why go Italian when you have McDonaghs

I'm a Dub and have never heard this about fish and chips.

Certain parts of the city, inner city
    Old areas, salt of da earth Dubs

you're not old skool inner city dublin then :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Have you heard of a wurley burger?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Eggonyerface

SunnyDub1 wrote: »
    what is the purpose of this day ? :confused:

Is it really that hard to figure out??

Lets go to Ireland and sell potatoes to the Irish

I bet those Italians got a few sniggers when they told people of their plans

I'v been getting chips from Burdocks by christ church for years and never heard it mentioned by a customer :confused:

thats because only tourists go in there... and you of course ;)

• Advertisement

I had to go google this
    They sure don't have this in Galway or the Midlands

Standard bun, standard extras but they batter the burger

That's just wrong
    Must everything get battered :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Said nobody from Dublin

Ever...

Because they were all too insecure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69 ✭✭yellowtrout

Oh I think a trip to Macari's is in order so.
    I was gonna make a stirfry but sure half price fish 'n' chips can't be sniffed at....well, especially not if you've lashed on half a bottle of vinegar.
    Stirfry postponed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Has anyone ever actually ordered one of these? Batter burgers are bad enough. Around the edges is ok, but once you get into the middle they're gross.

The worst thing about italian chippers is they don't do proper onion rings anymore. They're onion "disks". Too much onion, not enough batter :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

I've heard a bag of chips being called a 'single' before but never heard of 1 and 1.

Only 2 places in Galway doing it. Debating whether I want to deter from my healthy eating plan or not :D

"Uno di questo, uno di quello?"

"One of these, one of those" = A one and one

http://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/food-drink/national-fish-and-chips-day-thank-cod-for-giuseppe-2656484.html

Chips off the old block . . .

It could have easily been a culinary catastrophe. So today, on National Fish and Chips Day, we should be thankful for the lucky twist of fate that sparked our 125-year love affair with the Italian chipper.

Be grateful because back in the 1880s, Giuseppe Cervi, the man who introduced us to the Italian takeaway, had very different ideas when it came to tantalising Irish taste buds.

The young Italian arrived in Cobh, or Queenstown as it was known back then, after mistakenly disembarking on the final stopover of an American-bound boat. After watching his American Dream set sail, Giuseppe turned and set out on foot to find his fortune in Ireland instead.

After walking the long and rocky road to Dublin, he worked in the city as a labourer intent on earning enough money to buy a coal-fired cooker and handcart to go into business selling roasted chestnuts.

While fish and chestnuts would have been unlikely to catch on, we were spared having to find out thanks to a small but highly significant mistake young Giuseppe made while selling his fare outside the pubs of Dublin.

Legend has it that one day instead of a chestnut he mistakenly roasted a potato and quickly realised the Irish knew a good spud when they tasted one. The course of history had thankfully changed and Giuseppe soon opened Ireland's first fish and chip shop on Great Brunswick Street (now Pearse Street) beside Trinity College.

Giuseppe ran the chipper with his wife, Palma, whose lack of English gave Dubliners a phrase still in use today.

When customers arrived at the cash register to pay Signora Cervi would point to the menu and ask, "Uno di questo, uno di quello?" or "One of these, one of those?"

Walk into any Italian chipper over a century later and ask for a "one and one" and you'll be served fresh cod and chips.

By 1909 the steady march of the chipper had begun and there were 20 fish and chip shops in Dublin, serving a population of just 290,000.

"But it was not an instant hit," says Peter Borza, of the Irish Traditional Italian Chipper Association (ITICA) whose parents came to Ireland in the 1950s.

"There was about 50 chip shops in Ireland going in to the 1930s. But it was after World War II when fish and chips really took off."

It was then the local chipper flourished and began its spread nationwide. Soon surnames such as Borza, Macari, Cafolla and Apriles became synonymous with one thing throughout Ireland -- fish and chips.

However, Ireland's Italian chipper families have one unique characteristic. They all come from a tiny village nestled between Rome and Naples, called Val di Comino, whose population today is just over 2,000.

"It was a pretty amazing place," says Conor Brennan from Clontarf in Dublin, who stumbled across the town while holidaying in Italy a number of years ago.

"We started to notice Irish registration plates on a lot of the cars as we were walking along the street. Then we passed by these old Italian men playing chess in the square and suddenly one of them cursed in a broad Dublin accent. It was then we discovered that many of the families, after working in Ireland, come back home here to retire."

Times had always been tough in Val di Comino. There was little income to be made through farming and after the turmoil that the World Wars had caused many decided to up-root and take their chances elsewhere.

"The first wave of Italians came to Ireland in the early 1800s and were mainly artisans and stone masons that worked on building the houses of Georgian Dublin and big houses around Ireland," says Borza.

"But it was really from the early 1950s and onwards when 95% of the almost 6,000 Italian community living in Ireland arrived here. The reason my parents and the other Italian families chose Ireland was because it's a family-based Catholic country, so it's very like Italy in that way. Italians have the same temperament as the Irish. We love our food and drink, we love to argue and shout and we love talking."

Many of the Italians who journeyed to Ireland witnessed the success of fish and chip shops as they travelled through London, where the first chipper opened on Cleveland Street in London's East End in 1860. The advent of trawler fishing in the 1950s increased the availability of fresh fish and the popularity of fish and chips soared.

The sons and daughters of the Italian immigrants are intent on securing the legacy their parents worked so hard to create.

Now, the 200 members of the ITICA want to remind the nation why even with fast food chains, Chinese takeaways, Indian Balti houses and pizza and pasta in wide supply, we still come back to fish and chips.

Go to an ITICA chipper today and you'll only pay half price.

"I believe we have soaked up the impact of the stiff competition," says Borza. "The local Italian chipper is still a cornerstone of the local community in cities and towns throughout Ireland.

"In an era of faceless multinationals people can walk into their local chipper where the owners will most likely know their name. Today that is something unique."

While a firm part of the local community, the Italians here never forget their roots and often meet in the Phoenix Park for picnics on Sundays, where they talk business and share family gossip.

"We also go backwards and forwards to Italy," says Borza. "We celebrate St Patrick's Day there and we have an Irish festival every year. And many still have a hand in running the family business."

However, while obviously proud of their Italian and Irish heritage, how would they react if Giovanni Trapattoni managed a miracle and guided Ireland to the World Cup Final where they faced Italy?

"Now that's a difficult one!" laughs Borza. "But thankfully to cover all eventualities, I always wear a jersey that is half Irish and half Italian. So depending on who wins I'd be hip-hip hooraying in English or Italian!"

Anyone recommended any of the Chippers on the list of participating chippers?

Mammas in Nenagh

The best chipper in the county!

There does be queues out the door at lunchtime with students

• Advertisement

I believe most of the "Italian" chippers these days don't serve Fresh Cod, instead it arrives into the premises already battered and chilled (perhaps already frozen), I'd like if they went back to the days where they battered their own fresh fish in front of your eyes and dipped into the fat then, yum yum !

Probably isn't even cod

Some godknowswhat they import cheap from Vietnam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,456 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Half price Batter and chips i'd say. Just like last year. Very little fish in it at all.

Half price Batter and chips i'd say. Just like last year. Very little fish in it at all.

Have to agree here, I got it last year and it was batter city, hello fish, come out come out whereever you are, here fishy fishy fishy, better off with a donegal catch methinks :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Morelli's Barna not on the list, but are doing the offer too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

Despite advertising it as cod, it almost certainly won't be. As mentioned, lots of "authentic" chippers get in big boxes of pre-battered white fish from Thailand and Vietnam, slap it up on the display, and re-fry when you go in and order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69 ✭✭yellowtrout

Typical-they didn't give me an extra scoop of chips.
    It was strictly one bag of quite undercooked chips and a small slender fish.
    Quite mean of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭TopBombing

It's obviously worth it to some people, here's my local chipper this evening...

577669_418863158145274_1736740975_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,456 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

TopBombing wrote: »
    It's obviously worth it to some people, here's my local chipper this evening...

577669_418863158145274_1736740975_n.jpg

Jedward must be appearing there. Very young customers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

Dinos in Terenure, batter was lovely. Is it bad of me to get another? :D

thinking of going to the one in Harolds Cross between the church and dog track, theyre a nice chipper

Bellissimo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Having mine now, nice treat of a Wednesday evening.

Offered the cat some fish, but turns out he is only interested in the batter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

I went to Aprile's in Stillorgan. The queue was out the door. Five staff serving, and a few others battering things and so on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Went to Bennys (or Central Cafe as they called it now) near the parnell street cinema.

Fish & Chips for €5 instead of the €11 odd it would have cost normally for a cod and chips. Plaice wasnt packed at all, I was surprised tbh

Advertisement