Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bill or Check?

• 30-05-2012 1:39am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭

Why do americans call the bill the check? my understanding is a bill is something you pay for with cash or a cheque. Reason why i asked is when i was over there recently i asked for the bill and at the end of the bill it sayed check total: x amount of dollars.

i know what your thinkin....why didint i just ask when i was over there:rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

Because that's the why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Mr.Biscuits

I just say: 'What's the damage there sweetcheeks'.

.. and most likely have my food spat in next time I'm in.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

I was hoping your anecdote would end with a slightly annoyed chef called Bill emerging from the kitchen asking why you wanted to talk to him.

I'm not really sure why they call it "check." Like many American words/spellings, it might simply have been an attempt to differentiate American English from British English as a cultural-nationalist statement (Thomas Jefferson, I believe, had some crazy notions about changing spelling).

Or it might have come from another language used by immigrants, like the way they use the Italian word "zucchini" for "courgette," as a great number of Italian immigrants would have used it a lot in their cooking.

I might be nowhere the truth, however.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

Go to bed Moo...

Sauve wrote: »
    Go to bed Moo...

But my brain's still going, and I just wanted to help :(.

You're mean...:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Cheque?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Czech.

Cheque?

I'm pretty sure they spell it "check" in America, so I guess when referring to the word when used to refer to the receipt in a restaurant, we could defer to them and spell it that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

I'm pretty sure they spell it "check" in America, so I guess when referring to the word when used to refer to the receipt in a restaurant, we could defer to them and spell it that way.

They also spell cheque as check.
    :-/

• Site Banned Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Lionel Messy

Who the ****ing hell cares? If your gonna start a thread, make it bloody half interesting, at least.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 30 Trollsbury Trollington

Lets all settle half-way on 'invoice'.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,593 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

The reason being is that American money is called 'bills'!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭donegal_man

Looked this up in a couple of dictionaries (i know!) and they suggest because it's a slip of paper or the means to check that you are being charged the correct amount for the meal you had.
    The sad fact is nobody knows for sure.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Put it on my tab.

(doesn't have a tab)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Cultures are weird, here they ask for a Rechnung!

Advertisement