Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London 2012 Men's Triathlon 07/08/2012

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

Bambaata wrote: »
    He's as Irish as Emma Davis isnt he? Am i right in saying she's born and bred English? He really seems to be cracking the running splits. Early in his races he was waaay back on that leg but seems to be making good progress.

emma was born in bangor north Ireland.

ben has a fast run 3 k tt so its more a matter of time for him to transfer this to the olympic distance. i hear only positive things about this guy.(not that i know much)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Interview with the Brownlees here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

Macca not selected. Not surprising. Pity though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

MrCreosote wrote: »
    Macca not selected. Not surprising. Pity though.

Yeah saw this on Twitter about an hour ago. Sucks.

Sucks that the triathlon in the olympics has become a team sport with athletes selected to take one for the team. BS really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Yeah saw this on Twitter about an hour ago. Sucks.

Sucks that the triathlon in the olympics has become a team sport with athletes selected to take one for the team. BS really.

He doesn't have it in him.
    He never did.

It was an ego boosting, profile boosting exercises.

I think the team aspect is interesting. Although I don't think that the team relays coming is going all that the ITU (and TI) think it is going to be.

Realistically the Aussie men have barely any chance of medalling. Picking Macca might have kept the Aussie public interested to some degree.

MrCreosote wrote: »
    Realistically the Aussie men have barely any chance of medalling. Picking Macca might have kept the Aussie public interested to some degree.

No favourite has ever won gold...........

True, stranger things have happened, but there are too many ahead of them who'd have to have an offday. Break on the bike is their only chance I reckon.

Anyway Macca certainly wouldn't have threatened the podium, but the Triathlon Australia miss out on keeping the public interest held in the most important year of the 4-yr cycle. It'll be swamped by swimming/athletics/every other minority sport where aussies do well during the Olympics. Macca was the human story to keep people talking about triathlon.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭d4r3n

If he was picked he could have been a useful domestique on the bike, he kind of had himself resigned to it if he was picked in a few interviews I saw with him.

But that's only if the other 2 guys didnt make the first swim group, which probably isn't as likely. If Macca made the first group (again, probably unlikely) he may have had a better chance at selection.

• Advertisement

tunney wrote: »
    He never did.

QUOTE]

Come on Dave..u cant make comments like that and not back them up. Why did he not deserve the 3rd spot on the team?

He never did.

QUOTE]

Come on Dave..u cant make comments like that and not back them up. Why did he not deserve the 3rd spot on the team?

Why did he deserve it?

Not a front pack swimmer and can't do the run.

He may have won Kona twice but that doesn't make him a class act in short course.

Its like saying Kilkenny should play their hurling team in the football championship. Both GAA sports yes, but wildly different.

He promotes himself well and markets himself well as a product but thats it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,104 ✭✭✭Bambaata

The Macca story was a nice twist to the selection process but i don't think he ever thought he'd get selected. He gave a good interview at IM Cairns the other day speaking out about the mess TA have made of this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HglV1uT76zM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Jaysus, but he loves the sound of his own voice. Valid points though

ah yeah he likes to talk but i like Macca. He generally gives a fairly honest account of things and just likes to stir things up. It makes it a little more interesting. It'll be interesting now to see if he does do HyVee and possibly the 70.3 worlds? His short course training should translate well to those. HyVee could be a real cracker this year if Lance, Whitfield and Macca do all take part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

I think Macca not racing helps the Brownlees. If anyone could have got the rest of the athletes working together to beat them it was him. Yes he loves the sound of his own voice and a lot of it is just self promotion but he speaks some sense.

Regarding no favourite ever winning the Gold. Triathlon has only been an olympic sport for the last 3 games. Hardly a huge range of data.

IMTalk were talking about the Olympics and asked what would happen if the Brownlee brothers were leading and decided to cross the line together? That would make huge headlines. (and a few others yet might have somethign to say about it).

ironman is not about swimming and he had lost his swim then
    and did not get it back in time so that makes him not slectable as a competitor for Australia ( and not even for Ireland would he have qualified ) or as a domestique.
    Still I think for hawaii the last year will have helped him and he is one of the top 5 favorites to win hawaii. as that speed will help him and 5 month should get him back to long course shape.
    its just hard with 38 (or ist 39 now) to go back to speed and he did well and if he had another year he might well have done it. to be a domestique or a top 25 finisher .

He never did.

QUOTE]

Not a front pack swimmer and can't do the run.

U dodging the question like a politician. 3rd spot on the team?
    Cant do the run. Horse manure :) 31min 10k in San Diego. 3rd Australian home.

Bambaata wrote: »
    The Macca story was a nice twist to the selection process but i don't think he ever thought he'd get selected. He gave a good interview at IM Cairns the other day speaking out about the mess TA have made of this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HglV1uT76zM

thats a great interview for does science make us slower thread
    keep it simple ;-) ;-) and keep administrator out of the sport

peter kern wrote: »
    dont start that again!! :P

• Advertisement

Oh god science makes us slower. Still banging on?
    Improper understanding and application of science makes us slower.

U dodging the question like a politician. 3rd spot on the team?
    Cant do the run. Horse manure :) 31min 10k in San Diego. 3rd Australian home.

If it ain't sub 30 its not there.

If it ain't sub 30 its not there.

that would make for a field of less than 10 males on an proper 4 loop 10 k course.

that would make for a field of less than 10 males on an proper 4 loop 10 k course.

Yes. And? My point being he wasn't in contention for anything. Outside the top ten is just that.

He hasn't a lead swim pack swim in him so his use as a domestique on the bike is negated. So why would be be picked? he can't swim with the top boys and eh can't run with them. I also think the brownlee's would make mince meat out of him on the bike too.

Yes. And? My point being he wasn't in contention for anything. Outside the top ten is just that.

He hasn't a lead swim pack swim in him so his use as a domestique on the bike is negated. So why would be be picked? he can't swim with the top boys and eh can't run with them. I also think the brownlee's would make mince meat out of him on the bike too.

Still have not answered the question as to why he was not good enough for the 3rd spot .....and why someone else was

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

You know a couple of the points are arguable IMO.

I don't think anyone is under the illusion he was a medal contender.

However helping the Aus team certainly. Kahlefeld seemed either on it or off.
    The Aus have often been out of front pack on swim also, meaning chase pack on bike and needing someone to go balls to the wall so they don't suffer.
    That's the scenario he would've helped.
    If any of the Aus are off the front, and let's face it theres likely to be a lead bunch of 10-12 swimmers with no Aussie included, then what happens?
    Not exactly known for putting in bike work in chase packs whereas Macca is.

Now granted he may be a bit behind and possibly in 2nd chase pack, but has proven he can work to catch 1-2 groups which is the point.

Also, he has improved strongly with each race I thought.
    A bit more time and who knows the shape he could've been in or how much more ground he could have caught for August.

To be honest though, I'm happy he's not in as prefer to see him rip up Hyvee (if he enters), and he has said he will do 70.3 worlds and Kona so great he has time to focus on these now to really make it interesting.

Wonder which would have more tv viewers, triathlon Olympics or Kona this year...

Fazz wrote: »
    You know a couple of the points are arguable IMO.

I don't think anyone is under the illusion he was a medal contender.

However helping the Aus team certainly. Kahlefeld seemed either on it or off.
    The Aus have often been out of front pack on swim also, meaning chase pack on bike and needing someone to go balls to the wall so they don't suffer.
    That's the scenario he would've helped.
    If any of the Aus are off the front, and let's face it theres likely to be a lead bunch of 10-12 swimmers with no Aussie included, then what happens?
    Not exactly known for putting in bike work in chase packs whereas Macca is.

Now granted he may be a bit behind and possibly in 2nd chase pack, but has proven he can work to catch 1-2 groups which is the point.

Also, he has improved strongly with each race I thought.
    A bit more time and who knows the shape he could've been in or how much more ground he could have caught for August.

To be honest though, I'm happy he's not in as prefer to see him rip up Hyvee (if he enters), and he has said he will do 70.3 worlds and Kona so great he has time to focus on these now to really make it interesting.

Wonder which would have more tv viewers, triathlon Olympics or Kona this year...

In truth I just do not like him.

Brownlees are super exciting to watch so i'd say Olympics.

I will ask Gavin what he thinks about your statement ;-)

for bike you did see charabots power file from san diego so here we can use science to refute your arguement about minced meat ;-) macca pushes that in Hawaii the first hour .....
    anyway he is a 2nd - third pack swimmer and there is better swim bike combinations than him. Atkinson would be my choice as he could help kahlefed in the swim and on bike and has the experience.
    anyway the aussie selection is such a joke.

I never said anything about the achievement for the athlete of going. I said why would Macca be picked when there are more suitable athletes to pick?
    for bike you did see charabots power file from san diego so here we can use science to refute your arguement about minced meat ;-) macca pushes that in Hawaii the first hour .....

I'm struggling to find the bit in my post about charabot.............
    anyway he is a 2nd - third pack swimmer and there is better swim bike combinations than him. Atkinson would be my choice as he could help kahlefed in the swim and on bike and has the experience.

The Aussies do have a depth of swim/bikers to choose from alright!

• Advertisement

Name dropping their peter..shameful :)

Atkinson was always going to be second pick. 3rd is the complication we are discussing.....sexton macca and royle. Macca wud have been my pick.

Advertisement