Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Baltic Sea Anomaly Mission This Friday

• 30-05-2012 3:18am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭

Last summer, while on a treasure hunt between Sweden and Finland, the pair and their research associates made headlines worldwide with the discovery of a 200-foot wide unidentified object at the bottom of the Baltic Sea. Now a team of oceanographers, engineers and deep sea divers will return to the site Friday, June 1, for a 6 to 10 day trip.
    They want to find out once and for all what it really is.

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2012/05/29/truth-is-out-there-about-ufo-in-baltic-sea-swedish-scientists-say/?intcmp=features

So once and for all we will find out what this is within the next few days, i personally cant wait as im puzzled as to what this could be.
    Just imagine if they found the wreck of a U.F.O, can you imagine what this would mean for humankind.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭red menace

Last summer, while on a treasure hunt between Sweden and Finland, the pair and their research associates made headlines worldwide with the discovery of a 200-foot wide unidentified object at the bottom of the Baltic Sea. Now a team of oceanographers, engineers and deep sea divers will return to the site Friday, June 1, for a 6 to 10 day trip.
    They want to find out once and for all what it really is.

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2012/05/29/truth-is-out-there-about-ufo-in-baltic-sea-swedish-scientists-say/?intcmp=features

So once and for all we will find out what this is within the next few days, i personally cant wait as im puzzled as to what this could be.
    Just imagine if they found the wreck of a U.F.O, can you imagine what this would mean for humankind.

Weather balloon tis always a weather balloon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

It's obviously cthulhu.

Just imagine what this could mean for humankind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

It's obviously cthulhu.

Just imagine what this could mean for humankind.

Arrgh!!! Was just about to say it's Cthulhu as well :p But it doesn't matter because I'm Mysterion :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

I so love sensationalism in the media... Oh, sorry for being redundant. I like how they throw UFO in there without any basis for knowing this was ever a flying object. Perhaps we should assume the UFO to be an acronym for something else.. Underwater Feckin Object? Anyone else got any other ideas?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 30 Trollsbury Trollington

Discovered while searching with sonar for an old Russian warship.

I'll guess that this anomaly may be closely connected with ....a Russian warship.

Wild guess; surface explosion in the warship's ammunition store sinking the vessel and breaking it up. Shattered pieces sink in dispersed pattern, main body sinks and breaks up over the centuries. Sonar displays it as a single unbroken object/anomaly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,593 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Maybe the island of Hybrasil moved over there!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭diabloro

I'm looking forward to the results of this Dive since i read about it first. Doubt very much it's alien craft. I think Mr Trollingtons idea there sounds plausible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Pushtrak wrote: »
    Anyone else got any other ideas?

Yes. It could be the mother ship. Imagine what this would mean for humankind!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I bet it's one of them Moon Nazi saucers

Team Ocean Explorer said this image shows 300m "drag marks" around an unidentified -- possibly flying -- object
    I somehow doubt it's doing much flying stuck down there

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

So it's 200 feet wide. If it's only 20 feet long, I suggest they're looking at a shipwreck, and just got wide and long mixed up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,520 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Was just wondering how long it might be. It could be shaped like a needle or a plate.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Volcanic plug? Something of that nature I reckon. Circular objects in nature are common enough. Something square or triangular would be more likely artificial.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

I hope they are a team of extremely smart and good looking oceanographers, engineers and deep sea divers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Titanic 2

This time, it's personal!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

Discovered while searching with sonar for an old Russian warship.

I'll guess that this anomaly may be closely connected with ....a Russian warship.

Wild guess; surface explosion in the warship's ammunition store sinking the vessel and breaking it up. Shattered pieces sink in dispersed pattern, main body sinks and breaks up over the centuries. Sonar displays it as a single unbroken object/anomaly.

You're far too logical for these parts :). Get out and leave us to our stupidity and inane theories!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

red menace wrote: »
    Weather balloon tis always a weather balloon

maybe its the lost city of atlantis people were smaller back then ;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

could be one of those Russian circular battleships
    http://en.valka.cz/files/battleship_novgorod_100.jpg

The Russians have made some very strange stuff over the years

If it isn't a shipwreck it's probably just a natural thing, like the Derry 'sub' a while back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Be funny if this was just a viral marketing campaign. The crew will probably "go missing" next week and their recordings will be "found" and made into a movie!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I shall note this down as an insult so I can say to my friends that the behemoth object is probably one of their mothers / legal guardians.

Hopefully, much hilarity will ensue from their sour reactions upon hearing such an insulting remark.

I shall be seen as quite the comedian down at the country club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Pushtrak wrote: »
    I so love sensationalism in the media... Oh, sorry for being redundant. I like how they throw UFO in there without any basis for knowing this was ever a flying object. Perhaps we should assume the UFO to be an acronym for something else.. Underwater Feckin Object? Anyone else got any other ideas?
    Surely Unidentified Floating Object makes more sense?

Actually now that I think of it, it doesn't. Move along, nothing to see here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Its a rock

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

could be one of those Russian circular battleships
    http://en.valka.cz/files/battleship_novgorod_100.jpg

The Russians have made some very strange stuff over the years

If it isn't a shipwreck it's probably just a natural thing, like the Derry 'sub' a while back

I brought this up on the other thread a few months ago ...the only issue with the Russian warship theory is that it's 200 feet across...and I don't believe they were ever built this big. Should be a fascinating trip though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Wibbs wrote: »
    Volcanic plug? Something of that nature I reckon. Circular objects in nature are common enough. Something square or triangular would be more likely artificial.
    Yeah I'd guess natural feature too. The drag marks could be silt displaced by currents. Fair play to them for their adventurous spirit in going back to figure it out anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Battered Mars Bar

I bet it's a publicity stunt for a new shopping mall...simpsons did it. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

Well whatever they do they definitly need to have Dustin Hoffman, Sharon stone and samuel jackson check it out..... nothing could go wrong.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I brought this up on the other thread a few months ago ...the only issue with the Russian warship theory is that it's 200 feet across...and I don't believe they were ever built this big. Should be a fascinating trip though.
    another issue is that they were only used in the Black Sea.

Unlikely to be a natural formation like the top of a dome,
    or so the CT people would have us believe

how deep is it ?

secret stone age burial ground of mammoths

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

i read 60 ft across? where is the figure of 200 mentioned?
    Lindberg explained to local media that his crew discovered, on the 300-foot-deep ocean floor between Finland and Sweden, "a large circle, about 60 feet in diameter. You see a lot of weird stuff in this job, but during my 18 years as a professional I have never seen anything like this. The shape is completely round."

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/08/03/swedish-booze-hunters-may-have-found-ufo-on-ocean-floor/#ixzz1wMmpawNQ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

swamp gas reflecting off venus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

I was going to read the article, but then I noticed it was from fox news.

Anybody got any more credible sources?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

Meh! This is just another outbreak of an odd illness that seems to affect only Swedes and assumes various forms, of which the best-known is called "periscope fever". The most recent serious epidemic of that was prior to the demise of the Soviet Union and involved alleged sightings of submarines, followed by dozens of ships of the Swedish Navy searching feverishly for them and finding nothing.:rolleyes:

These events always seemed to happen in the autumn, when the Riksdag was deliberating the budget and the military appropriation.:)

On the one occasion when a genuine submarine (a Whisky-class diesel one) ran aground in a prohibited area close to a naval base, it was up on a rock ("Whisky on the rocks", read one headline) revving its engines for hours before it was discovered - by fishermen!;)

According to this article published two days ago http://www.iltalehti.fi/ulkomaat/2012043015516063_ul.shtml

the object could be frozen methane (chlatrate) that has been on the sea floor since the last glaciation, or parts of a submarine. The article ends with the statement that the truth will emerge soon, because they hope to dive down before May ends. That gives them about 24 hours from now.:)

But if it is ET's big brother and he's pissed off, I'm living right beside the Baltic Sea right now, so a greeting to all of you just in case I'm not heard from again.:pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

Ha, Galaxy Far Away my arse,
    it's clearly the wreckage of the Millennium Falcon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

It's the kraken tbh
    He watches
    lurking beneath the sea
    timeless sleep
    has been upset
    He awakens
    Hunter of the Shadows is rising

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Hal1 wrote: »
    It's the kraken tbh

Nope, that cthulhu you're thinking of :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

I can hear it now -Bertie whinging to his mates, "I feckin told that Lawlor boll1x a huge safe hidden under the bleedin Baltic was going to attract attention at some stage, I shouldv hiddent the dosh under me stadium, like I had it planned".

• Registered Users Posts: 1 rsw0007

IF they find a sunken extraterrestial craft,what makes you think that the discovery will ever be made public?

• Advertisement

What's happening then? Thought they were going down 2 days ago to see it :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

What's happening then? Thought they were going down 2 days ago to see it :confused:
    They plan to study it for about 10 days - I doubt we'll hear anything conclusive before then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

I haven't seen Mary Byrne in a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

It's the rubber stamp the ancients used to make the Nazca lines. One of them must have dropped it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Rasmus wrote: »

Lamest excuse ever. Fishing trap my total arse.

Note the (16.5-40 feet) ABC speak of vs the 300 ft quoted in the OP.

Rasmus wrote: »

This hasn't anything to do with our UFO does it. The ufo is under 300ft of water not 12m like this says.

squod wrote: »
    Lamest excuse ever. Fishing trap my total arse.

Note the (16.5-40 feet) ABC speak of vs the 300 ft quoted in the OP.

So this is old news? Just came across this story and figured I'd repost it. The fishing trap statement DOES make it sound a bit fishy though, I'd agree with that.

I'm on my phone - don't know if one has to do with the other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Pedant

UFOs are often used as cover stories for secret projects undertaken by governments. The US government encouraged UFO myths as cover stories during the development and testing of new cutting edge aircraft, so-called "black projects". Some examples of "black projects" can be read here.

It may be possible that this object in the Baltic Sea is a crashed "black project" aircraft that either hasn't been revealed to the public yet or is still in development. Given it's location in the Baltic Sea, it could be of Russian origin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

I am still betting on an old mountain plateau, Or a under sea alien base thats why aliens are never found in space they live under a rock at the bottom of the sea like those feckin fragils !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Urgent Update

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2164912/UFO-the-Baltic-Sea-cuts-electrical-equipment-divers-200m.html

Divers say phones and some cameras switch off when close to the object

During their visit, the team saw a 985-foot trail that they described as a runway or a downhill path that is flattened at the seabed with the object at the end of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

It could also be this thing for all you know...

Urgent Update

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2164912/UFO-the-Baltic-Sea-cuts-electrical-equipment-divers-200m.html

Divers say phones and some cameras switch off when close to the object

During their visit, the team saw a 985-foot trail that they described as a runway or a downhill path that is flattened at the seabed with the object at the end of it.

'''Well honestly it has to be something.'' My favourite quote from that interview.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Why are they bringing their phones with them when diving:confused::confused::confused:

• Advertisement
Advertisement