Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shipping tools via air on whv

Options
  • 30-05-2012 7:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Does it matter if my partner ships his tools via air on a whv?I'm panicking that customs or whoever it goes through will be thinking our sole purpose is to work if they see all the tools and send us back to dreary Ireland.Sea freight is too long for us.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I might be missing something here but your answer is in the 'w' part of 'whv', i.e. it's expected that you will be doing work of some sort.

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 46 dietdiva

That is true but the idea but I know immigration do not like people arriving on a WHV and solely looking for work. The idea is to holiday moreso and work to supplement your income. i just thought arriving with boxes of tools might be seen as a more permanent moved and might be tuned away. Hence that is why i asked the wuestion in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

dietdiva wrote: »
    That is true but the idea but I know immigration do not like people arriving on a WHV and solely looking for work. The idea is to holiday moreso and work to supplement your income. i just thought arriving with boxes of tools might be seen as a more permanent moved and might be tuned away. Hence that is why i asked the wuestion in the first place.

You are kind of mixing up customs and immigration. Immigration would not be involved in what gets shipped to you, unless your bf hides a couple of illegal immigrants in the box ;)

Customs will only care if you are smuggling something, avoiding duty or there are are hazardous materials in package so make sure the box and all its contents are spotlessly clean!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

What jackbhoy said.

I air freighted over my toolbox and thoroughly cleaned everything.

I used multicargo in Santry, have the price of the others I got quotes from and very friendly too

Phew that's a relief so we have to just get cleaning. Can i ask what kind of money you paid between shipping and quarintine inspections. Alos what weight was your shipment. we kind of thought we'd put the tools(panelbeating) into boxes and leave the chest at home.

Thanks in advance

• Advertisement

dietdiva wrote: »
    Phew that's a relief so we have to just get cleaning. Can i ask what kind of money you paid between shipping and quarintine inspections. Alos what weight was your shipment. we kind of thought we'd put the tools(panelbeating) into boxes and leave the chest at home.

Thanks in advance

The box and tools weighed 110 I think and was 520 euro, 80 dollars handling fee this side and when I told the AQIS lady I washed the tools in the mothers dishwasher she didn't bother inspecting it.

I did buy a new toolbox, the old one was grotty

Is that 110kgs? also can you have your toolbox locked? Is it only inspected once you collect it. Did you get your tools insured for the journey(boyfriend is panicking).
    Sorry for all these questions, did you put them in those cardboard cartons or what kind of a box did you ship them in.

Thanks in advance

Ya, 110kg on a plastic pallet, they supplied the pallet.

The box was locked but I had a key on it taped to the side. If it needs to be inspected you will be there when it happens. Do a search for threads started by me mentioning dishwashers, more details there for ye

Couldn't find the thread but did you really use the dishwasher - genius!Might rob that one!

• Advertisement

did you insure your tools for the journey?

No, the company I shipped them with did not offer insurance and I just took the chance that they would be ok

Hiya,
    Just want to say thanks for recommending multicargo in Santry. we're going to go with them, there little bit cheaper than different company we were going to go with, plus their irish.
    upside is we're leaving the tool box behind and putting tools in strong boxes instead, leaving us with money/room for me to send over clothes, shoes, bedlinen :)
    Thanks again

Advertisement