Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish woman available for light cleaning duties.

• 30-05-2012 7:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭

Saw this in this paper this morning. I hate these ads, they send shivers up me spine. I hate them just as much as the ads for Polish painters.

Does the Irish in this ad appeal to anyone?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Hope she has her own ladder, my bulbs are quite high.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Did you get her to polish your plums, Sir?! Oohh!

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭DonQuay1

forfuxsake wrote: »
    Saw this in this paper this morning. I hate these ads, they send shivers up me spine. I hate them just as much as the ads for Polish painters.

Ok. Suppose you're Irish. You're not allowed to say it because it distorts the labour market?

Suppose you're a Russian .... can you not say it? Maybe a Russian ex-pat living here would prefer someone that they can give concise instructions to in Russian knowing they'd be understood and not have to repeat them?

Suppose you have a qualification in Swedish massage .... can you not say it? Is it because someone might object to doing something in Swedish when that something is a massage?

Suppose you're Nigerian and say it ..... why not? Maybe it'll open a few more doors for you because the advertiser believes that employers may presume the advertiser has strong christian beliefs or that the advertiser probably speaks Twi (or something) and maybe can be used as a translator also?

Suppose you're an Amish Mennonite .... you're not allowed to say it? They have a reputation as carpenters / farmers and very hard workers. Does it distort the market towards them?

Suppose you're Polish ... why can't you say it? They have a reputation for being cheaper, quicker and just as good painters and decorators as the Irish?

Suppose you're Irish and say it .... why not? Because someone somewhere may have the belief that:
    The advertiser speaks good english and can better understand what's required?
    The advertiser is local and therefore should be helped locally?
    The advertiser speaks Irish?
    The advertiser is probably trying to support her / his family therefore money paid to the advertiser will be used in the local economy to more effect than if it was being sent elswhere 'back home'?

If people have an impression regarding some groups and not other groups - and it's a good impression - why can't that good impression not be exploited by that group of people on their own behalf??
    Why do the PC brigade ALWAYS presume that indicating nationality, etc is a negative towards those that are not of that group?

Just a thought for my morning. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Tá brón orm, ach ní fheicim aon Ghaeilge san fhógra sin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

The hel with it i might as well post a serious answer too. Its the same with most of these services if you have an issue with foreign workers the "Irish" in this ad will appeal to you, however with ads like this you could never be sure of the quality of work you are going to receive.

If i was going to get a cleaner in I'd look at several ads and maybe use one ad the first time and next time use another. Actually see who does the better job or use word of mouth to choose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

if she is, irish.......well done to her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Sounds expensive to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Linoge

It would be a great sign on backwards day where an Irish cleaner works 10 times harder than a Polsih cleaner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

It's code for sexual favours OP.

Where do they operate and what is the number? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭forfuxsake

also light cleaning duties makes her sound like a lazy biatch.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭dmcronin

We have a Polish cleaning lady, she's never dusted the mummified mouse that's been in the trap for years.

dmcronin wrote: »
    We have a Polish cleaning lady, she's never dusted the mummified mouse that's been in the trap for years.

has she not even put her initials on it..???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

She has'nt a hope, Irish women are lazy bitches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

aujopimur wrote: »
    Would you like me to get you a bigger spoon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Do Irish cleaners have a green light on their heads?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

if she is, irish.......well done to her.

Yes, she must be very proud, having worked so hard to achieve it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

http://files-cdn.formspring.me/photos/20111227/n4ef99b6a424a7.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭scholar007

Does she charge extra if you want her to wear a maids outfit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

What would be classed as heavy cleaning?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Abi wrote: »
    Would you like me to get you a bigger spoon?

It's true. They always want the guy on top :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Yes, she must be very proud, having worked so hard to achieve it.

Her Mossad training has finally paid off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭flanders1979

It's true. They always want the guy on top :mad:

No harm in wanting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭flanders1979

also light cleaning duties makes her sound like a lazy biatch.

Not as lazy as the slobs that will hire her

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

DonQuay1 wrote: »
    If people have an impression regarding some groups and not other groups - and it's a good impression - why can't that good impression not be exploited by that group of people on their own behalf??

A good impression of Irish workers by definition entails a bad impression of non-Irish workers. If you have fluent English, mention it in your ad. If you're a hard worker, mention it in your ad. But don't pretend that Irish is being used as shorthand for English fluency and and economic self-sufficiency; it's being used because the advertiser is trying to appeal to xenophobia.

Would it be fine for people to openly advertise themselves as white in a racist state, on the basis that people in that state have a positive view of white people?

A good impression of Irish workers by definition entails a bad impression of non-Irish workers. If you have fluent English, mention it in your ad. If you're a hard worker, mention it in your ad. But don't pretend that Irish is being used as shorthand for English fluency and and economic self-sufficiency; it's being used because the advertiser is trying to appeal to xenophobia.

Would it be fine for people to openly advertise themselves as white in a racist state, on the basis that people in that state have a positive view of white people?

There will be people who will want Irish workers because they're racist. The same way there will be some people who will want only male workers because they're sexist, or only women workers because they're sexist, or only good-looking workers because they want some pretty young people to boss around.

But there will be many people who prefer to hire Irish because seeing so many Irish people emigrate due to lack of employment is an issue close to them, or because they want someone who's fluent in English, or for any number of reasons which are not racist at all. The same way if a man is hired over a woman on a building site, it's not because the employer is racist, it's because a man would be better for a job involving a lot of manual labour.

Either way, in the current job market, your living depends on finding employment, and you have to do whatever you can to get a job. There will be people who will prefer Irish workers and people who prefer foreign workers, and at the moment, employers can be as picky as they like. So you might as well say what nationality you are, so as to attract employers that want you and not waste your time with employers who want someone foreign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Ok. Suppose you're Irish. You're not allowed to say it because it distorts the labour market?

You're not allowed to discriminate on grounds of race, religion, creed or nationality when employing someone.

That's not to say that it doesn't happen - but in theory, all jobs should be offered equally to all people.

And you can't just dismiss it as a "P.C" thing. It's more to do with basic manners & treating all people equally.

how about freedom of speech in your own country......at least until the eu gets round to banning it....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

OMG OP! Look I found another one
    www.polishcleaninglady.com

• Advertisement

biko wrote: »
    www.polishcleaninglady.com[/QUOTE]

that's not worth a mention.....not even in poland...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Battered Mars Bar

But of course there's nothing wrong with xenophilius ads is there :rolleyes: If you mention fluent Engish in an ad it means you're not Irish therefore appealing to the "I can take advantage of foreigners" market or the "I'm a bit dim and think foreigners are way better workers than the Irish" market.

Should an Irish person mention they've fluent English now? If a foreign person can relay such information as their foreign nationality covertly, how does one convey their Irish nationality in an ad? They must be allowed to do so since you see no problem with a foreign person getting such messages across.

So would it not be better for persons to only mention their English speaking abilities in an ad for work if it's poor thus affecting their ability to carry out work effectively if good communication is a must. No point mentioning good English otherwise is there? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭dmcronin

www.polishcleaninglady.com[/QUOTE]

that's not worth a mention.....not even in poland...

She's a Yank. False and misleading advertising.

dmcronin wrote: »

She's a Yank. False and misleading advertising.

they are good cleaners...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

www.polishcleaninglady.com

How can Nancy Roemer pretend to be Polish?
    Wouldn't object if she was Magda Polski.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

Suppose you're a Russian .... can you not say it? Maybe a Russian ex-pat living here would prefer someone that they can give concise instructions to in Russian knowing they'd be understood and not have to repeat them?

Suppose you have a qualification in Swedish massage .... can you not say it? Is it because someone might object to doing something in Swedish when that something is a massage?

Suppose you're Nigerian and say it ..... why not? Maybe it'll open a few more doors for you because the advertiser believes that employers may presume the advertiser has strong christian beliefs or that the advertiser probably speaks Twi (or something) and maybe can be used as a translator also?

Suppose you're an Amish Mennonite .... you're not allowed to say it? They have a reputation as carpenters / farmers and very hard workers. Does it distort the market towards them?

Suppose you're Polish ... why can't you say it? They have a reputation for being cheaper, quicker and just as good painters and decorators as the Irish?

So to follow your line of reasoning:

Supposing you're Irish...why can't you say it? we have a reputation for being good at domestic cleaning duties, better than other nationalities :confused:

Eh, no I'm afriad that's not the case. Now if the woman was German or Swiss...

Suppose you're Irish and say it .... why not? Because someone somewhere may have the belief that:
    The advertiser speaks good english and can better understand what's required?

In that case then why doesn't the advertiser just write that she speaks fluent English?
    I see it on ads. in shops all the time. Also, you don't have to be Irish to speak fluent English of course.
    The advertiser is local and therefore should be helped locally?

Because no non-Irish live locally to their potential customers or were born in that area? and if the advertiser is a local why is that any better than someone who has lived in the area for many years, regardless of nationality? how local do you have to be? 1 year in the area? 5, 10? one generation? more? because that would rule out a hell of a lot of Irish people too!
    The advertiser speaks Irish?

If the area was a Gaeltacht area then yes I can see how being Irish would be relevant. Otherwise no. And she didn't say she speaks Irish she said she is Irish. Big difference.
    The advertiser is probably trying to support her / his family therefore money paid to the advertiser will be used in the local economy to more effect than if it was being sent elswhere 'back home'?

And foreign nationals are not doing it to support their families? and not all non-nationals send money home you know. And even the ones who do they still spend lots of money in the locality they live in also!

And "PC brigade"? yawn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

If you have fluent English, mention it in your ad. If you're a hard worker, mention it in your ad. But don't pretend that Irish is being used as shorthand for English fluency and and economic self-sufficiency; it's being used because the advertiser is trying to appeal to xenophobia.

Yes, exactly this. I see no valid reason to state that the advertiser is Irish.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

It's all very well speaking fluent English if you can't tell a hot press from an immersion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭Medusa22

To be honest, I think that stating your Irish nationality in an Advertisement is for one reason only, and that is to entice people who would rather have an Irish person working for them. However, most people would probably agree that Polish people tend to work hard for less money so it doesn't always benefit to state that you are Irish. If some people would rather have an Irish person cleaning their house because they know that there would definitely not be any communication difficulties then I think that is perfectly acceptable. What really angers me greatly is advertisements for housesharing which read 'eastern european' or 'polish only', (and I have seen plenty of these on daft.ie) I find that quite racist to be honest, if those people are unwilling to share with Irish people. I feel the same when people advertise for 'women only'.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭DonQuay1

Greentopia wrote: »
    So to follow your line of reasoning:

Supposing you're Irish...why can't you say it? we have a reputation for being good at domestic cleaning duties, better than other nationalities :confused:

Eh, no I'm afriad that's not the case. Now if the woman was German or Swiss...

In that case then why doesn't the advertiser just write that she speaks fluent English?
    I see it on ads. in shops all the time. Also, you don't have to be Irish to speak fluent English of course.

Because no non-Irish live locally to their potential customers or were born in that area? and if the advertiser is a local why is that any better than someone who has lived in the area for many years, regardless of nationality? how local do you have to be? 1 year in the area? 5, 10? one generation? more? because that would rule out a hell of a lot of Irish people too!

If the area was a Gaeltacht area then yes I can see how being Irish would be relevant. Otherwise no. And she didn't say she speaks Irish she said she is Irish. Big difference.

And foreign nationals are not doing it to support their families? and not all non-nationals send money home you know. And even the ones who do they still spend lots of money in the locality they live in also!

And "PC brigade"? yawn

Quoting and answering some individual points that suppost your argument is all very well ... however it's not the obvious point I'm making .... they are just general examples. My point is in BOLD. (repeated from the original below.)

"If people have an impression regarding some groups and not other groups - and it's a good impression - why can't that good impression not be exploited by that group of people on their own behalf??
    Why do the PC brigade ALWAYS presume that indicating nationality, etc is a negative towards those that are not of that group?
    "

WHY does every point have to be a anti-race / anti-dublin / anti-priest / anti-sex / anti-age, etc, etc. Races, Dubliners, Priests, old and young people, both sexes .... have all done good things. Why should the negative aspects of any group ALWAYS be brought to the fore? Would it not be better to think this particular ad was being 'positive' towards being Irash rather than being non-positive towards non-Irish?

And yes.... it's a PC problem - as PC - it appears to me, only goes one way. Negative.

Knock that view if you wish - but at least make an effort rather than borrow someone elses over-used 'yawn'.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Jorah

Stop whining. Tough economic times in Ireland. You should be able to mention your nationality if it's going to help you with your job prospects.

Help out your own countrymen/women first.

• Advertisement

Jorah wrote: »
    Stop whining. Tough economic times in Ireland. You should be able to mention your nationality if it's going to help you with your job prospects.

Help out your own countrymen/women first.

You're right of course, you should be able to mention your nationality if it can help with your job prospects.

Ve had tough economic times in Hamburg back in '32, by only hiring ze German peoples and not the Jew, in a few years we become ze most powerful country in all Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

Are you sure it isn't some kind of coded message, like the ones they used to have on notice boards in shops in England? Examples: "Gentlemen's repairs undertaken by skilled English needlewoman" or "French horn lessons by Parisian lady".:):):):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Don't know about you but I was reared by an Irish woman who worked damned hard.

Coriolanus wrote: »
    Don't know about you but I was reared by an Irish woman who worked damned hard.

That was before the celtic tiger, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Jorah

You're right of course, you should be able to mention your nationality if it can help with your job prospects.

Ve had tough economic times in Hamburg back in '32, by only hiring ze German peoples and not the Jew, in a few years we become ze most powerful country in all Europe.

Godwin's Mother****ing Law

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Unavailable for Comment

A good impression of Irish workers by definition entails a bad impression of non-Irish workers.

Nah that's not true. Claiming one nationality is best would obviously mean all others weren't but many, many things can be good at the same time. Good is not an absolute term.
    If you have fluent English, mention it in your ad.

Why? The vast majority of people in Ireland speak English so it is an obvious shorthand to assume that an Irish person speaks English. Why on earth would a native in any country advertise their proficiency in the native country's language instead of merely mentioning their nationality? How is language ability an appeal to xenophobia?

As someone who employs a Brazilian cleaner the language barrier is extremely frustrating despite the high quality of her work.
    If you're a hard worker, mention it in your ad. But don't pretend that Irish is being used as shorthand for English fluency and and economic self-sufficiency; it's being used because the advertiser is trying to appeal to xenophobia.

Nah I don't agree. For example tradesmen and labourers in the building trade will often advertise themselves as being Irish despite the fact there were huge inroads driven into the average Irish construction worker's reputation by their Polish colleagues. Obviously they are instead appealing to potential clients as native speakers rather than harder workers. This cleaning advertisement is the exact same thing.

No, but that's ok as the hypothetical bears little relevance to what is being discussed here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Mr.Biscuits

I always though 'light cleaning duties' meant someone was a whore.

Had a more blatant one put through the door there a few months back that said she was a 21 year old Brazilian "fit for most household duties" - ooh matron.

Within the hour I was Maggie Gyllenhaal'ing her arse good style.

Advertisement