Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Different Types of Wormer & Flea Treatment

• 30-05-2012 8:43am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭

I've been looking into different types of flea and worming treatments on the internet. Most people are familiar with Frontline for flea tratments and Drontal for worming. However, I've noticed over on VetUk that Endogard for worming and Effipro for flea treatment are a good bit cheaper and I've been told that they do exactly the same thing.

I'm just wondering if anyone has experience with either product?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

Effipro is the same ingredient as frontline, it came out when frontline went off patent. I've used it back when frontline still worked and it seemed identical. Our fleas have become immune now:( you might want to alternate with other products.
    I haven't heard of the wormer, could be the same story - but I wouldn't buy a wormer without checking it out first. Not all pills cover all worms, as I learned to my cost one time with tapeworm...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Make sure vetuk lets you check out - I was getting Advantage from them before and when I got to the checkout it wouldn't let me buy as I was outside the UK - got it from petmeds.co.uk.

Any opinions om heart worm? I use milbemax on my guy to cover it but on uk forums some people say there's no need as it's rare!? I stopped using Advocate because he swims so much I figured it wouldn't be as effective so switched to a tablet wormer and cheaper flea treatment

does heartworm occur in ireland? I haven't heard of it, but might as well use a wormer that covers it. Advocate is no good for us as the cats hunt and eat mice, and the dog munches on them too - so there is constant tapeworm risk.
    I alternate drontal, milbemax and profender (is my treat...spot on for cats:D), hopefully damn worms won't build up resistance like fleas did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

According to our lecturers there is no heartworm in Ireland :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Yep, the mosquito is involved in their lifecycle, and the climate is too temperate here for mosquitos... So far!

That's why it's such a big problem in the southern United States.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

boomerang wrote: »
    Yep, the mosquito is involved in their lifecycle, and the climate is too temperate here for mosquitos... So far!
    Not true, we do have mosquitoes here and in the UK, although they're not that common. They're quite common in mainland Europe though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I used to rent a place in Kerry that was full of Mosquitos, I mean I could kill 10 or 12 in my bedroom.
    They are most definately here and in big numbers in areas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

planetX wrote: »
    does heartworm occur in ireland? .
    There are a few types of "Heartworm" that affect dogs but only one occurs in Ireland and is often referred to as just "Lungworm" (Angiostrongylus vasorum) by vets but the correct term is French Heartworm. It lives in the right ventricle and pulmonary arteries, but one stage of the larvae is migrates into the alveoli of the lungs and are coughed up so has both heart and lung involvement.

Dirofilaria immitis
    (only heart involvement mainly) doesnt occur here as we dont have the correct intermediate host (mosquito).Well we do, but not in sufficient quantities or have a suitable climate. 2 different parasites and only "Lungworm" is treated here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Lemlin wrote: »
    I've been looking into different types of flea and worming treatments on the internet. Most people are familiar with Frontline for flea tratments and Drontal for worming. However, I've noticed over on VetUk that Endogard for worming and Effipro for flea treatment are a good bit cheaper and I've been told that they do exactly the same thing.

I'm just wondering if anyone has experience with either product?

I asked my vet about endogard and she said it is perfect she is going to order it in as it is made by Virbac and the same company that makes effipro. I use Cestem which I get online again she told me it is perfect to use too. The reason I would prefer to use the two mentioned above as they have XL products whereas with millbemax I have to give two tablets each!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

anniehoo wrote: »
    does heartworm occur in ireland? .
    There are a few types of "Heartworm" that affect dogs but only one occurs in Ireland and is often referred to as just "Lungworm" (Angiostrongylus vasorum) by vets but the correct term is French Heartworm. It lives in the right ventricle and pulmonary arteries, but one stage of the larvae is migrates into the alveoli of the lungs and are coughed up so has both heart and lung involvement.

Dirofilaria immitis
    (only heart involvement) doesnt occur here as we dont have the correct intermediate host (mosquito). 2 different parasites and only "Lungworm" is treated here.

One of my dogs was in Ucd doing the summer and they treated her for lungworm as a precaution. They gave her these sachets (can't remember the name) which I had to give to her over a few days. I had always wormed religiously with millbemax and used advocate but the vets there told me they are no good if dog had lungworm and only those sachets get rid of it! After a few days her results came back and it turned out she didn't even have lungworm!

• Advertisement

Millem wrote: »
    One of my dogs was in Ucd doing the summer and they treated her for lungworm as a precaution. They gave her these sachets (can't remember the name) which I had to give to her over a few days. I had always wormed religiously with millbemax and used advocate but the vets there told me they are no good if dog had lungworm and only those sachets get rid of it! After a few days her results came back and it turned out she didn't even have lungworm!

The drug of choice for treatment should be febendazole, which neither milbemax or advocate contain. Yes they can be used and often are, but fenbendazole has the highest success rate. Also unless you worm regularly...and i mean every month (which nobody does), your dog can still get infected between the normal worming times (most people worm every 4mths). Lungworm infection takes 6-10 weeks to develop.

If UCD treated for this with fenbendazole sachets,regardless of whether they knew for sure, its because faecal examination (the least invasive and cheapest test) is only 50% effective at detecting the infection because the larvae could still be present in the heart/lungs and not progressed to the coughed up and swallowed stage of the life cycle. This would require a BAL (lung wash basically) to find larvae, which requires anaesthesia and is far more invasive and again may be non diagnostic. Its better to treat with the highest efficacy drug to be on the safe side,so they did the right thing tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

has anyone any opinion on drontal plus. It comes in an XL tablet too so just one tablet for large dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 wetfish

CJhaughey wrote: »
    I used to rent a place in Kerry that was full of Mosquitos, I mean I could kill 10 or 12 in my bedroom.
    They are most definately here and in big numbers in areas.

anniehoo wrote: »
    Dirofilaria immitis (only heart involvement) doesnt occur here as we dont have the correct intermediate host (mosquito). 2 different parasites and only "Lungworm" is treated here.

Not sure anniehoo that I understand your point. Is it that we don't have mosquitos in Ireland, or that we don't have the particular type of mosquito that is the intermediate host? :confused:

wetfish wrote: »
    . Is it that we don't have mosquitos in Ireland, or that we don't have the particular type of mosquito that is the intermediate host? :confused:
    Sorry i shouldnt have said we dont have any...we do, but we dont have the quantities of mosquitoes in Ireland to sustain the spread of infection and our climate isnt sustainable either for Dirofilaria. The temperature needs to be something like 16/18 degrees for about a month or so for one stage of the lifecycle to survive.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭whistlingtitan

has anyone any opinion on drontal plus. It comes in an XL tablet too so just one tablet for large dogs.
    Drontal is good but you should change your wormer every time you work your dog panacure is also good parzola likewise milliemax is only ok
    You can also get a injectable wormer (vet has to do it) which is better than any of them

My new cats were suspected of having Giardia, and my vet told me to use fenbendazole but said i'd have to get it from a large animal vet. Ended up going to another vet, but I still have the Panacur equine granules that I bought. Was too scared to use them without guidelines on the proper dose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

My new cats were suspected of having Giardia, and my vet told me to use fenbendazole but said i'd have to get it from a large animal vet. Ended up going to another vet, but I still have the Panacur equine granules that I bought. Was too scared to use them without guidelines on the proper dose.

Do not use horse wormer on dogs or cats, Panacur is the brand name, they make wormers for everything from fish to horses. I'm using panacur for my puppy, I was told the correct dosage has to be mixed in with food gradually over a period of 3 days.

Do not use horse wormer on dogs or cats, Panacur is the brand name, they make wormers for everything from fish to horses. I'm using panacur for my puppy, I was told the correct dosage has to be mixed in with food gradually over a period of 3 days.

I didn't use it, and wouldn't advise anyone else to either - but it must be done as that's what the vet told me to get. It's not licensed for use on cats for giardia either but it's still used. Panacur is just the brand name, but its the same ingredient - fenbendazole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Panacur is just the brand name, but its the same ingredient - fenbendazole.

Yes but it comes in different concentrations of the active drug, horse wormer is much more concentrated than dog wormer.

I spent €18 on milbemax there a couple of weeks ago from the vet - I only went with milbemax for added heart/lungworm protection which I don't think we even need from what everyone says here and on other forums. From now on i'm just getting a different one (online) each time - variety is the spice of life lol! :D

• Advertisement

Sorry to drag this up again but another thread has made me remember this - http://anicare.ie/2012/01/19/lungworm-infections-on-the-increase-in-dublin/ (we go to the glasnevin branch)! Now I think I'll play it safe lol!

Advertisement