Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

subject choice for leaving cert

• 30-05-2012 9:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi, guys, I wanna ask some questions about the subject choice. I am considering to do the business studies in my LC, but I dont really know much things about this subject. Is it a difficult subject to deal with? And if you wanna get an A1 in the business studies, is it exceedingly hard to achieve this target? Is it all about memorising theories or something else? Do we have any study tips to help us ace the exams.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Stalin and rugby

If you're thinking of picking subjects based on the chances of you getting a good grade then I'd look up the statistics for grades achieved by peeps doing the LC

In reality alot of people want an A1. For business only 3% of the people doing it actually get it, compared to about 10% for chemistry for example. (not saying it's easier)

Irish peeps tend to be good at those subjects like business. If you want to decrease your competition, so to speak pick, the sciences and maths

In the end up to you. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 VCX

HI, tks for answering. Where can we find the statistics? Your answer is really helpful !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭3raser10

just google examinations.ie/statistics :)

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭mossy95

Busniess has so much learning in it but its not complicated. If you want a good result you got to be studying it alot.

Thanks!!! So once i put much effort into business studies, then i ' m gonna be okay. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

I'd advise economics instead if you're not doing that too. Biggest regret of my leaving cert life picking business over it. :rolleyes:

I'll be doing the economics as an after school subject as well. Does the business really have so many works to do and so many theories to memorise? And finally it is quite hard to get a good result? rolleyes.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

It is quite information-heavy but a lot of it is common sense! :) The marking scheme's quite rigid though and makes it hard to get a good grade, but doing economics will help, you should be fine :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15 NnaYllek

I'm just finished 5th year and I find business simple enough. I've never got lower then 90% in a test. A lot of it is common sense and just the theory section of junior cert business in more detail. It helps to have an interest though, I personally love the subject but I know a lot of people would disagree. Its the type of subject that you get what you put in and is learning rather then understanding!

Thanks to everybody who answered this question!!

• Advertisement

NnaYllek wrote: »
    I'm just finished 5th year and I find business simple enough. I've never got lower then 90% in a test. A lot of it is common sense and just the theory section of junior cert business in more detail. It helps to have an interest though, I personally love the subject but I know a lot of people would disagree. Its the type of subject that you get what you put in and is learning rather then understanding!

Do we have any special tips to study the business?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 17 jamiered81

I'm currently repeating the Leaving Certificate and picked up Business this year. I found it quite a handy subject to learn and got an A1 in the mocks. The course is relatively short too. You just need to know your headings and be able to expand on them. Economics does help in some sections of the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 NnaYllek

VCX wrote: »
    Do we have any special tips to study the business?:)
    Read over what you've done a lot! It also helps to think of examples as much as you can. And keep on top on your homework. The questions your teacher will give you are really useful. I'm lucky though, I'm blessed with an amazing teaher who makes the subject easy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭_Godot_

Hope you all have a better teacher than I did, all she did was read the book at us in a monotone.

Advertisement