Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ever pull a Kate McCann late at night

• 30-05-2012 9:43am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭

Following on from the kids in cars thread, has anyone ever nipped out to the shops for a few essentials after the kids have fallen asleep, obviously your other half is out at the time too so you lock them in the house unattended.

I must admit I've done it a few times, especially if there's no milk for the morning cereal or you're out of bread, smokes etc.
    It used to be the done thing until the McCanns made it as radioactive as drink driving.

Anyone else a sinner like me ?.
    Helen Lovejoys need not throw their oar in.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,828 ✭✭✭✭28064212

That's not what the McCanns did

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

From the title I thought you meant the other kind of pull. The actual post is less interesting.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

OP, you should be ashamed of yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Back in the late 80s my mam left me (age 3ish) asleep in our hotel room while her and her friend went down to the bar to listen to the live music. she was up every 20min to check on me but I woke up at one point and got scared, managed to get out of our hotel room and to the lift. Luckily it was an old-timey style one with a big grate and I couldn't operate it. Cleaning lady found me wandering the hall roaring crying, my mam showed up about 10secs later.

Probably made her look like the world's worst mother, but that wasn't the case at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,525 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

ever murdered your kid and covered it up, can't say I have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Proof?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Who is Helen Lovejoy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

28064212 wrote: »

this

the mccanns went to the hotel bar and got drunk with their friends in a hotel in portugal with noone supervising/babysitting the kids.

its a big difference from nipping to the shop while your kid is locked in your car.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

No, and never will.
    I make it a personal rule also never to drink alcohol till they are at least in bed at night and asleep safe.
    (Amid many things in life, if you have kids, you need your wits and awareness as sharp as possible at all times.)

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Ms. Captain M

No never!

What would you do if they woke up and freaked out to find you missing, or something happened when you were gone, fire breaking out etc. "Oh I was out of fags!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭newport2

Insurgent wrote: »
    Who is Helen Lovejoy?

"Won't somebody please think of the children!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

i don't have kids.

na na na na naaaa naaaa

this

the mccanns went to the hotel bar and got drunk with their friends in a hotel in portugal with noone supervising/babysitting the kids.

its a big difference from nipping to the shop while your kid is locked in your car.

bollox.........unattended is unattended ..........end off. Anything could happen.:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,629 ✭✭✭TheBody

Insurgent wrote: »
    Who is Helen Lovejoy?

The wife of Rev Lovejoy from The Simpsons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

No and never would.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

I know that unattended is unattended but your kid could be upstairs while you are down watching TV and something could happen and you wouldn't know.

I know if i had to run to shop for something i'd check before i left the house and again when i got back in. I wouldn't check that often if i was in the house.

If the kid was awake or prone to waking up i'd have to think differently but a heavy sleeper with a shop nearby then no problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭CL7

Rabidlamb wrote: »
    It used to be the done thing

It used to be the done thing? Where exactly? This has to be a wind up.

danniemcq wrote: »
    I know that unattended is unattended but your kid could be upstairs while you are down watching TV and something could happen and you wouldn't know.

but you'd be there, like how could you live with yourself if you were'nt and something happened.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

CL7 wrote: »

I mean more acceptable to society's standards.
    Just nipping out for 5 minutes wasn't seen as a despicable act before the media focused on it.

It genuinely was, particularly for something like nipping to the shops or popping in to the neighbours. Up until the 90s, when people became more aware of the dangers.

Sure I was only discussing this a few months ago with my OH's folks, they agree it was the done thing back when we were all kids.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

MidlandsM wrote: »
    but you'd be there, like how could you live with yourself if you were'nt and something happened.

But if i was there and something happened would it not be the same?

i'm not on about a kid under a year or so but when they are to old for the radio thingy and you are in the other side of the house and something happens upstairs it would be the same.

If the house is child safe (guard on stairs, medicine bottles all away safely etc) then you have reduced the risks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭TiGeR KiNgS

LOL

MidlandsM wrote: »
    OP, you should be ashamed of yourself.

Susprisingly not, my moral standards are seemingly far lower than yours allowing me to live a guilt free life.

It genuinely was, particularly for something like nipping to the shops or popping in to the neighbours. Up until the 90s, when people became more aware of the dangers.

Sure I was only discussing this a few months ago with my OH's folks, they agree it was the done thing back when we were all kids.

My mother says it was the norm as often the husband would go to the pub in the evening.
    By the time he would be walking/driving home the shops would all be closed so her only opportunity would be to nip out herself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭CL7

Rabidlamb wrote: »
    I mean more acceptable to society's standards.
    Just nipping out for 5 minutes wasn't seen as a despicable act before the media focused on it.

Fair enough. I didn't know that. I don't have kids yet but I'll never leave them unattended if/when I do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

28064212 wrote: »

The reasons for leaving the children unattended may be different...but the net result is the same - the children are still left unattended. You may say, "well one only left their children for a few minutes, the other left hers for a few hours" - but how can you say that one is ok and one is not? If we are going to put some kind of time fram justification on it (ten minutes good, ten hours bad) where do you draw the line? It's either ok to leave your child alone or its not. There is no magical moment where it stops being ok.

Fair enough. I didn't know that. I don't have kids yet but I'll never leave them unattended if/when I do.

Because societies norms and expectations have changed drastically in the last 20-30 years. I most likely wouldn't do it either, but I certainly don't judge my parents for doing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

this

The OP specifically asked about the children being left in the house

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,525 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Proof?

well it wouldn't be a very good cover-up if they left proof would it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Please use Parenting forum, not every thread has to go in AH.
    Also we're all too young here to have kids ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement