Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rent Supplement Question

• 30-05-2012 9:58am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭

I've been living in private rented accommodation since Dec last year. I'm not on the lease, essentially I'm subletting from the others in the house here without Landlord's knowledge. Prior to this I was at home.

In April I had to give up work due to health reasons. Since then I've been receiving Illness benefit but of late it's been difficult financially with health expenses and rent etc.

Is it possible for me to receive rent supplement given that LL hasn't been aware of me being here since Jan? I know they have to sign forms etc. Should I just talk to someone in Social Welfare?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

I've been living in private rented accommodation since Dec last year. I'm not on the lease, essentially I'm subletting from the others in the house here without Landlord's knowledge. Prior to this I was at home.

In April I had to give up work due to health reasons. Since then I've been receiving Illness benefit but of late it's been difficult financially with health expenses and rent etc.

Is it possible for me to receive rent supplement given that LL hasn't been aware of me being here since Jan? I know they have to sign forms etc. Should I just talk to someone in Social Welfare?

you get your form from the cwo for the landlord to fill in and I guess now is as good a time as any to introduce yourself to your landlord

you do need to prove you have been renting privately for 6 out of the last 12 months so you do need a lease and bills with your name on them

you also need to apply for social housing with your local authority

the rules have been tightened up considerably over the last two years so all this needs to be shown, once you have supplied all the info to cwo they will come and visit you to approve your accommodation and you must be paying the approved rental amount

http://www.welfare.ie/en/schemes/supplementarywelfareallowance/pages/rentsupplement.aspx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 130 ✭✭Larkenn

I'm not sure how you can get around this. I assume all the household bills and lease are in the previous tenants name. You might have a hard time proving you have lived there, especially since the landlord can't back you up. You could ask to meet the landlord and talk to him about getting your name on the lease. You will also need to see if he is willing to accept rent allowance.

I would in the meantime talk to the your local CWO and explain your case. He might have some advice for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Lugh Ildanach

You will have to get the form signed by the landlord, so you're going to have get his approval to be living there if you want rent supplement.

Advertisement