Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Already have a job in Ireland. Good idea to go on a WHV for a year?

Options
  • 30-05-2012 10:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 976 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I already have a job as a software engineer, but I really want to go to Canada for a year or 2 on a work holiday visa, and then possibly do a bit of travelling afterwards. I am considering doing it in a year's time when I have everything sorted out. I have 2/3 friends that want to do this also with me.

I always get the feeling that I'll regret not doing this in the years to come.

Do you think I am mad leaving my job to do this, or would you go for it? (I'll be nearing 26 when I do go, keep in mind)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

*** Moving from US Travel to Living Abroad, where Canada visa questions reside until Canada gets its own forum ****

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

on all counts I would (and more or less did, and am still abroad)

later in life you may be anchored by kids/ ill parents or god knows what that will put a halt to your gallop.

If you feel you have to go and see some of the world then do it now before its too late.

You are in software development which is a field where 100s of jobs are being announced every week in Ireland. And thats not including companies recruiting constantly like say paddy power who couldnt fill their positions and had to look abroad for software professionals.

BTW, youd also have little problem getting a job on the continent with the correct skills if you feel that canada is too far away.
    And you'd be able to work on learning a second language which can only be a benefit to your career later on.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Kev_2012 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I already have a job as a software engineer, but I really want to go to Canada for a year or 2 on a work holiday visa, and then possibly do a bit of travelling afterwards. I am considering doing it in a year's time when I have everything sorted out. I have 2/3 friends that want to do this also with me.

I always get the feeling that I'll regret not doing this in the years to come.

Do you think I am mad leaving my job to do this, or would you go for it? (I'll be nearing 26 when I do go, keep in mind)

I was in almost the exact same position as yourself (turned 25 working in development) - felt like i was getting tied down to ireland, job was good and was getting to the point where if i stayed a few more years id never get away. Packed it in, against the advice from family, firends & everyone else who thought I was mad to quit when the recession was just kicking in (This was 2009). I looked for jobs on the continent, england, hing kong and singapore, but didnt really get anywhere and instead decided to teach english in asia. Now, i'm back in I.T. in Canada, and have been all over the world living and travelling in the 3 years since i left ireland.

do it...its good to get away, if only for a while.

Advertisement