Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swim Group

• 30-05-2012 10:33am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭

We currently have a few spare places in both our swim groups and I thought I would see if there is any outside interest before we cut back on lanes.

You don't have to be an Activ Multisport member as Bjorn set the group up before the club was founded and it's organised through him and the NAC. We have regulars from a good few different triathlon clubs (3D, Activ, Naas...) and people who aren't members of any.

We swim Monday nights @ 8:30pm (short course) and Thursday mornings @ 6:30am (long course). Bjorn Ludick is the coach for both sessions. Lane numbers are kept pretty low, I can't recall there ever being more than 5 per lane and this Monday gone due to holidays/recovery from racing we had 4 lanes between 9!

I'm probably biased but group swimming has benefited me immensely knocking ~5 mins off my 750 time in less than a year.

The next block starts in mid June (18th) but if anyone is interested in coming along prior to that to see if the sessions suit feel free to PM me and I'll arrange something with you.

The cost is €95 for the 10 week block. This works out at €9.50 a session which when you consider it costs €7.50 to swim in the NAC means it works out at just €2 on top (I'm a maths genius!). Each session is 1 hour.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭wideball

Is there a session running Monday June 11th at 8.30pm? I'd be interested in coming along for a chat and with an eye to starting on June 18th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Hey C, is there much feedback in the sessions from Bjorn in terms of areas to improve, technique flaws? Or is it a case the session is set and off you go.
    I need to get at least one session in a week where i have someone giving me feedback on pooldeck. Not to mention i feel i am not progressing or pushing myself hard enough by swimming solo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Hey C, is there much feedback in the sessions from Bjorn in terms of areas to improve, technique flaws? Or is it a case the session is set and off you go.
    I need to get at least one session in a week where i have someone giving me feedback on pooldeck. Not to mention i feel i am not progressing or pushing myself hard enough by swimming solo.

If there is something obvious you are doing wrong that has a quick and easy fix he'll pick you up on it there and then. Otherwise it may be a word after the session on things you need to think about during your own sessions.

I was talking to Bjorn on Monday about this as a triathlete in the club was complaining she wasn't getting enough feedback. I told her that was because there is nothing fundamentally wrong with her stroke and its all about fitness but she wasn't happy (it was my wife and she never is!)

It's only since I started assisting that I noticed that a lot of the technique coaching is done in quite a subtle way and weaknesses are identified and drills put in there to rectify. for example it might be noticed that a couple of people have their front arm dropping down during the breathing stage leaving them having to lift their head excessively and with sinking legs so the next week we have a drill kicking on the side 50m with left arm leading, 50m with right arm leading reminding them about keeping the ear on shoulder. It's no harm to reinfoce good habits in those that are already swimming well and it brings on those who need the drill without singleing them out for special attention.

I 'm happy with this approach and it's working for me but I know people are looking for more (typical triathletes!) so Bjorn is currently working on giving more formal swim analysis feedback which we can do during the first session of a block and then email out so people can see for themselves where their faults are. You can then compare block after block to see how things are going and how you are progressing. if you want an idea of what I'm talking about I can email a sheet out to you to view (bearing in mind it's work in progress).

Feel free to come down to a session and see how you get on and then decide if you want to continue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

I hope your wife never reads your post ;-) ;-)
    if she does please do send us a report !

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭farrerg

Would this be suitable for all fitness levels?
    I'm new to tri and while I'm an ok swimmer, fitness is my main problem and I'm not making much headway training by myself (probably because I keep putting it off!).

I did a 250m swim as part of try a tri recently in just over 6 mins but any further would have been a struggle.
    I'm hoping if I signed up for a group session it would make me push myself more but I'm sure if your one would be too advanced?

• Advertisement

farrerg wrote: »
    Would this be suitable for all fitness levels?
    I'm new to tri and while I'm an ok swimmer, fitness is my main problem and I'm not making much headway training by myself (probably because I keep putting it off!).

I did a 250m swim as part of try a tri recently in just over 6 mins but any further would have been a struggle.
    I'm hoping if I signed up for a group session it would make me push myself more but I'm sure if your one would be too advanced?

I reckon if you can swim 200m FC non-stop in 5 mins then you'll be ok to start. Because it's a group session it will push you further than when you are at the pool by yourself so whilst you think you may struggle to do more than 250m the reality could be that 400m non-stop at the moment would be fine when you are being pushed. You'll also find you progress pretty quickly to finding longer distances attainable (if you don't the coaches aren't doing their jobs :) )

You're more than welcome to come along to a session and try it out for free to see how you fare. I'd suggest the Monday night ones as we have more lanes and it's in 25m format which makes it a little easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭farrerg

ok great, I might take you up on that. I start work early so it would only be the Monday evening one that I could do anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 428 ✭✭big mce

Hi Couerdelion,
    Is there still places available for this, and also is there an option for example just to do Thursday mornings?
    Thanks.

Yes, most people would just do the one session per week with the group and there are still a couple of places.

Advertisement