Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Palmers Pub (Goldenball) at Kilternan closed?!?

Options
  • 30-05-2012 10:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭

Anyone know why Palmers has closed down. Shocked. It's always packed in the summer thanks to it's huge south facing rear beer garden and ample parking.
    I noticed the doors closed last monday, and everyday since including the weekend just passed. The place had big names in every saturday (Aslan, Bagatelle, Rob Strong etc) right up until close.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭ollaetta

Looks like it according to this on the Businesses Closing thread:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=78842149&postcount=40

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭100gSoma

thanks for that link.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭larry1

Whilst sorry to see another business go, The Golden Ball was a bit of a kip to be honest over the past number of years.

The Step Inn in Stepaside is a much nicer establishment imho

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Wow that pub has been around for ages.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Very surprised to hear that!!:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭barneygumble

Any time I've been up there in the last few years, the place has been very quiet and I often wondered how they were able to keep it open.

They seemed to be making an effort recently with beer promotions and live music but it appears to have been too late. The food menu never seemed to change, although it was decent enough grub whenever I ate there.

The Step Inn, as mentioned above, has long been a better option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭100gSoma

Agree with all comments. Step Inn is a superior establishment, but lacks the huge south facing rear garden (with ample free parking for designated driver) which was lovely on sunny days :)
    The clientèle in the Golden Ball had got a bit sketchy a while back though. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

The Step Inn lacks a dart board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

The Step Inn lacks a dart board.

And snooker tables!

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Lambo28

BDJW wrote: »
    And snooker tables!

and parking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Peadar06

What I heard, is that [snip].

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Walked into the golden ball a few weeks before it closed, Bringing the mother to get something to eat. We went in and Sat down in the Restaurant part. I went up and ordered a pot of Tea and a Pint (she was driving) and Asked if we could order some food.

Still waiting for someone to take my order.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

We were having food and got charged 8 Euro for 4 pints of miwadi, paid my bill and told them I'd never come back. Good to hear no one else tolerated there poor buisness skills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

ted1 wrote: »
    We were having food and got charged 8 Euro for 4 pints of miwadi, paid my bill and told them I'd never come back. Good to hear no one else tolerated there poor buisness skills.

There are plenty of pubs that charge that sort of cash for pints of miwadi unfortunately!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

maybe for one, but not when several are bought and especially with food.

i've never been charged that much before. i especially havn't been charged when getting food.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I was just looking at some old OS maps of the area, it was always marked. That pub is donkeys years old. Sad loss, as others have said it was just doing the wrong business. Even still, it was probably the local for a lot of those new apartments near "the park"?

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭buster180

Anybody know what is going on in the place at the moment?? Lots of activity around it lights on inside and bar door open. Don’t think the pub is open again would it be up for auction??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

the upstairs of it is being used as a taxi office

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Vstorm

I hard it has been sold to Charlie Chawke and is due to open again......Anyone know when it will open?

anyone hear when it's reopening ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Mrsbananas

So many rumours, I heard lidl was going in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Mrsbananas wrote: »
    So many rumours, I heard lidl was going in.

always a Lidl or a Tesco Express.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭manbat

Does anyone know if there is anything in the pipeline for the Golden ball?

manbat wrote: »
    Does anyone know if there is anything in the pipeline for the Golden ball?

Sorry just read the above about Charlie Chawke hope this is true, that beer garden has to be brought back! beautiful.

I heard from a reliable source that this has been bought recently by Avoca and will open soon as Avoca restaurant and shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

larry1 wrote: »
    I heard from a reliable source that this has been bought recently by Avoca and will open soon as Avoca restaurant and shop.

That would be great if it's true but there is already an Avoca in Powerscourt which is only 5 minutes down the road.

That would be great if it's true but there is already an Avoca in Powerscourt which is only 5 minutes down the road.

Well aware of that and so was my source ;)

Any more news on this place?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭skibum

It was recently bought by these guys: http://www.kennedywilson.com/

(2011 - Kennedy Wilson acquires Bank of Ireland Real Estate Investment Management (BOI REIM), establishing Kennedy Wilson Europe.)

• Advertisement

A to let sign has just gone up

Advertisement