Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Palmers Pub (Goldenball) at Kilternan closed?!?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,077 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Vstorm wrote: »
    A to let sign has just gone up

Missing an 'i' to be sure....

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭buster180

Just noticed on the way home from work today a big “Opening Soon Watch this Space” sign on the front of the pub.
    Anybody know who or what is opening in the place??

• Registered Users Posts: 5 MarkyP

Any truth to the rumour that the Golden Ball has been taken over by Witherspoons - the British pub chain that recently bought Tonic in Blackrock?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

MarkyP wrote: »
    Any truth to the rumour that the Golden Ball has been taken over by Witherspoons - the British pub chain that recently bought Tonic in Blackrock?

I doubt it. They have made no secret that the next pub that they are opening is the 40 ft in dun laoighre and I reckon that they would have mentioned that too. Particularly as they appear close to opening.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,077 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Golden Ball wouldnt be Wetherspoons style. Limited catchment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭100gSoma

Looks like the building renovation is well underway. I noticed the interior did seem to be laid out like a bar rather than a restaurant or shop. (the front doors were open as I was stopped at he lights and you could see inside).
    It may be a limited catchment area, but Palmers was always busy. Especially in the summer time. I think many people from Ballyogan area used to head up Glenamuck road to play snooker there.
    Will be interesting to see what opens. Great south facing beer garden in the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

If they are opening a bar you'd have to wonder about that. Is there still money to be made in bars that need private transport to get to around Dublin?

Edit: In before it is serviced by a bus. It's not very handy is the point.

If they are opening a bar you'd have to wonder about that. Is there still money to be made in bars that need private transport to get to around Dublin?

Edit: In before it is serviced by a bus. It's not very handy is the point.

It's not exactly remote like Johnny Foxes or the Blue Light? It's walking distance from Stepaside housing estates (Cruagh etc), and Kilternan, and Ballyogan etc. However, I'd agree with you about opening a pub anywhere in times like these regardless of location or access. It's a tough game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Big crew working on it on Saturday, anyone any ideas when its opening etc..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

anyone know who bought it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

There's photos on their facebook page.
    https://m.facebook.com/goldenballkilternan

So its a pub anyway. Currently recruiting bar staff. Will be interesting to see how they get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 heyho

It opened last night.
    Food service will be starting this day next week, as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭SBarrett

The new Golden Ball has "craft beers" and "gastropub" on the sign on the front.

All of the draft beers are the usual suspects, Heineken, Carlsberg etc. it has bottles of Paulaner but that's it as far as I can tell on the craft beer front.

As for the gastropub, it is anything but. The menu is the same as every other pub; a carvery, burger & chips, fish & chips, steak & chips, curry etc.

It's great to have the Ball open again and
    looking better for the refurbishment but it is still miles away in quality on The Step Inn and Boars Nest in Stepaside.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 heyho

Assume you mean the Wild Boar?

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭SBarrett

heyho wrote: »
    Assume you mean the Wild Boar?

That's the one!

The Boars Nest is the name of the bar in the Dukes of Hazzard!!

Good food in the wild boar though and they have Sam Adams on draught

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Perhaps a mod would rename the thread to say that it has reopened?

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Ranjo

Just had a longer post with some details about my recent trip there on but accidentally deleted it.

Short version: went there for food and was impressed with the place. Food was good, not gastro but good effort in presentation. Refurbishment is pretty nice. Well spaced out for diners, sport watching/bar and lounge.

I'll go back again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭spyderski

Lovely job done on the place alright. The rest leaves a little to be desired.

Many of the staff, while friendly and enthusiastic, are very poorly trained. Some seem to have no previous experience of bar/restaurant work.

Myself & the Mrs. ate there. Menu is fairly limited and unimaginative. I had the Sirloin steak and chips. Steak was slightly overcooked, but otherwise nice. Quite small, and only came with chips - nothing else, which was as advertised, but at €23.50 was far from good value. I can get a better/bigger steak with all the trimmings in a nearby restaurant with full restaurant service etc. for the same money. Wife had a chicken burger, which was perfectly adequate, if again unimaginative.

Overall, the food is reasonable, but I would expect better given the prices and the level of spend which has gone into the premises. I'll be back there for drinks but not for food - there are far better value propositions in the area.

Advertisement