Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does anyone know what the city council are up to?

Options
  • 30-05-2012 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 16

I heard from my mother in law that the council are knocking down alot of houses around Cathedral Road area. I checked on their website and the have a list of areas and houses. Its called "compulsory accusition of land". just wondering why they are doing this and exactly how are they going to afford to buy back privately owned houses. my mother in law said very few people know about it.

http://www.corkcity.ie/news/publicnotices2012/compulsory.pdf

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

Iceylou wrote: »
    I heard from my mother in law that the council are knocking down alot of houses around Cathedral Road area. I checked on their website and the have a list of areas and houses. Its called "compulsory accusition of land". just wondering why they are doing this and exactly how are they going to afford to buy back privately owned houses. my mother in law said very few people know about it.

http://www.corkcity.ie/news/publicnotices2012/compulsory.pdf

no idea why they are doing this but as far as i know, the current occupiers of the houses will be relocated to other houses of simular value or given the lowest value of their house and thats it.

happened to my aunt when her house was in the way of a proposed route for a new motorway, luckily it never got the go ahead.

she was raging about the injustice but there wasn't much that could be done as far as i remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

Some people are being relocated into my estate, while we are unhappy about it, they are also unhappy about it as it is moving them from their community and in beside new neighbours.

It's seems backwards but at the end of the day, the councils have the power to issue Compulsory Purchase Orders over any land in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

At the end of the day you may own your house but you do not own the land that you house is on!! so the Council could tell you to get out were knocking down this house on our land..

you can go and go about buying the land that your house is on cost abit of money my dad paid a good bit in the 80s. he owns the house and the land that the house is on..

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭starch4ser

It's for the Knocknaheeny MonoRail

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Do they repay any stamp duty that you may have paid when buying the house? Should hope so.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

This has certainly come in under the radar! Was just having a nose through the site and found this thread.

I've shown this to my FiL as he may well be affected by the proposed works.

Then again - Given the current financial constraints, is it likely the work will still go ahead?:confused:

Advertisement