Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Olympic Torch relay - Are you looking forward to its arrival, and will you be there?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

Think I'll be washing my hair that day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

Think I'll be washing my hair that day.

use the torch to heat the water to wash your hair

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Ha! Wouldn't it be gas if it p!ssed rain and it put it out?

Oh I AM a giddy goat!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

No. Pass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

LordSutch wrote: »
    The torchbearers will carry the flame, which arrives in Howth at 9.30am from a border handover

Has the border moved south since I left:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

It passes just a few minutes away from me in Glasgow but nope I won't be here to see it(on my way to Oz that day:)), not that I'd be bothered anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

no we joined germany... we are now known as west west germany... kenny signed us over but told noone

schlecht gesprochenes Deutsch ist nun unser offizieller langauge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

It might never be in Dublin again

so of course i won't go and see it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Yes, its been specially moved for the Olympics to save the runners from calf strain :))

Actually I got that quote from the Irish Times (see last paragraph), http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/0526/1224316733049.html
    So I can only presume that the flame comes down on the train to Howth Junction for the handover?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

I won't be watching the Olympics so I sure as hell won't be going out of my way to watch the least interesting aspect of the entire event.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭gabsdot40

I'm going to keep the kids home from school ad bring them in to see it. I've no doubt they won't appreciate it. My son is 8 and at the moment everything is lame. But i'm bringing them anyway damn it!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭dmcronin

Jedward. Why?

Are cartwheels an Olympic event now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I don't see the appeal in watching a fella carry a torch down the road

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

Did anyone go see it the last time it was here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

Going to see a fire......in this weather!!? It'd be one thing if it was winter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

• Registered Users Posts: 43 paul_mcshane

the olympics has fallen in stature in a big way , it was once the top sporting event by some distance , track and field has always been the flagship of the olympics and track and field has slid down the pecking order of spectator sports this past fifteen years

the olympics is one big who cares

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

Why when the Olympics is being hosted by Britain, is the Olympic Torch visiting a foreign country? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Why when the Olympics is being hosted by Britain, is the Olympic Torch visiting a foreign country? :confused:
    This also happened with the Tour de France in 1998. :confused:

As long as they can keep the games itself out of this country I am fine about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Jedward, Kilkenny hurler Henry Shefflin, retired rugby player Shane Horgan and Dublin footballer Bernard Brogan

Good to see that they are a last getting recognition for their life time work with the Olympics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭saintsaltynuts

No one gives a shiny sh1te the Euro's are on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

We're not allowed to burn stuff, so why should they get away with it? They should be arrested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

We're far too small to ever host an event like the Olympics so this would be the only chance we'd get to have the torch in our country. We share a border with NI so while it's in Belfast it'd be relatively simple to run it down to Dublin and then back to England.
    I'm not going to complain. It's a fair enough argument by the Olympic Council of Ireland and it'll be good exposure for the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

Shure we hosted the Special Olympics in 2003 (i think), and the olympic torch did a tour of the country,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

Anita Blow wrote: »
    it'll be good exposure for the country.

No it won't, nobody abroad will pay any attention whatsoever to the fact it will be here for a few hours.

The same argument was used about how great it was for the Queen and Obama to visit last year, I would be amazed if ten tourists in total decided they would come to Ireland based on those visits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

I heard from a friend that Paul McGrath will be doing one leg of the relay here in Dublin (a real footballing hero to those of who remember).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

F*ck the olympics, and tourch bearers,

They're only in it for the money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

It's amazing the crap some people get excited over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Ok this will sound political but why bring the torch to Dublin if the games are in the UK.
    Ok, it's Dublin and all but still?

Oh and no, I won't be there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

biko wrote: »
    Ok this will sound political but why bring the torch to Dublin if the games are in the UK.

The torch always travels through multiple countries during the relay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Yes I would like to be in Dublin to see this, as corny as the occasion would be :o , subject to work commitments though which I won't know about until a few days prior to the Olympic Torch being in Dublin :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

biko wrote: »

They ran it through Britain when it was in China so I doubt theres any significance to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

I watched the torch bearer run through our local town for the special olympics. If I was in Dublin and wasn't busy, I'd watch this one too.

I love watching the olympics and i'm still debating whether to head over to London to see some events.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

£15,000,000,000.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I saw a girl running through the streets of Dundalk a few weeks ago with what looked like a torch and a small entourage, and had assumed it was something to do with the Olympics. Guess it was just a shoplifter with a bottle of rosé being chased by a couple of shop assistants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

It will be in strabane soon enough so i'll got to that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,239 ✭✭✭sdanseo

I find it nice that they include us, but the second someone refers to Dublin as "A stop on its tour of Britain" is when I'll start getting very angry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

I literally couldn't give any less of a shit about the Olympics. I'll leave it to the Cockneys to care.

sdeire wrote: »
    I find it nice that they include us, but the second someone refers to Dublin as "A stop on its tour of Britain" is when I'll start getting very angry.

I think thats what the OP is hoping for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Varied

Christ.

You'd have to be a complete idiot to not realise that the torch doesn't just travel through the country that is hosting.

Worst flame thread I've come across.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

Varied wrote: »
    Christ.

You'd have to be a complete idiot to not realise that the torch doesn't just travel through the country that is hosting.

Ha!
    How many flame threads have you come across?
    And what makes them so much better?! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭fedor.2.

sdeire wrote: »

Let me guess..............we wouldn't like you when your angry. What a bunch of miserable bastards, i know most of ye wouldnt be that athletic and this probably reminds ye of being bullied at PE, but, im delighted that its coming here, and ill be there. You lot can just sit in in front of the computer for a change:rolleyes:

mod:

banned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Varied wrote: »
    Christ.

Actually after the fiasco of the Beijing torch relay, it was decided that the torch should only travel around the host country. A special exemption had to be sought for the flames trip to Dublin from the IOC.

The flame is coming to Dublin as part of the new reconciliation between the two countries. It is the typical moaners that are knocking the event, and cannot see the positives in it. It is unlikely the Olympic torch will ever visit this country again.

Is it anything to get excited about? Well seeing the general attitude of posters here, the negative responses are all too predictable. I would love to go and see it myself, but I think I am working down the country that day, unfortunately :(.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭plein de force

nah, i don't find someone running with a torch much to get excited over

nah, i don't find someone running with a torch much to get excited over

Aye.

Its different where theres a few hundred of them doing it, heading towards your gaff.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Apart from Ronnie Delaney and Michael Carruth do we have any other Olympic champions still alive who could take part? It seems a bit ridiculous having Jedward in it. Even any of the silver or bronze medalists from recent history would be nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Apart from Ronnie Delaney and Michael Carruth do we have any other Olympic champions still alive who could take part? It seems a bit ridiculous having Jedward in it. Even any of the silver or bronze medalists from recent history would be nice.

Sonia O'Sullivan
    Cian O'Connor
    Michelle Smith
    Ken Egan

Personally I don't agree with having Jedward take part either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I saw a girl running through the streets of Dundalk a few weeks ago with what looked like a torch and a small entourage, and had assumed it was something to do with the Olympics. Guess it was just a shoplifter with a bottle of rosé being chased by a couple of shop assistants.
    Did you steal that joke from Have I Got News for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Sonia O'Sullivan
    Cian O'Connor
    Michelle Smith
    Ken Egan

Personally I don't agree with having Jedward take part either.

Yeah I'd like Sonia, Ken and Paddy Barnes to take part, maybe also ask the late Darren Sutherland's father to do it. Cian O'Connor through no fault of his own mind you had his medal taken off him so unfortunately he won't go down in history as an Olympic medalist. Theres still too much controversy hanging over Michelle Smith for her to be asked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Varied

Ha!
    How many flame threads have you come across?
    And what makes them so much better?! :p

Their hidden talent to annoy without suspicion.

• Advertisement
Advertisement