Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cleaning an old stone well of sediment

Options
  • 30-05-2012 11:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭

how can I do this?

we have an old stone well that has not been used for decades, we want to start using it for watering the garden, but it's full of thick black sludge and I want to get all this sludge out to give us some water..

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

How deep is it?
    Lots if these were only two/three feet deep. You could scoop out most of it by hand with a small container. If you use anything too aggressive you could damage the structure.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

CamperMan wrote: »
    how can I do this?

we have an old stone well that has not been used for decades, we want to start using it for watering the garden, but it's full of thick black sludge and I want to get all this sludge out to give us some water..

Thanks

I'd love to see some pics!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

Degsy wrote: »
    I'd love to see some pics!

OK, let me find one

bbam wrote: »
    How deep is it?
    Lots if these were only two/three feet deep. You could scoop out most of it by hand with a small container. If you use anything too aggressive you could damage the structure.

the water table is at about 2.2 metres down, so, if I shove a very long stick done there, the water is at 2.2 metres, but a couple of inches below the water surface, there is a thick layer of black stinky sludge, if I shove the stick in further, it will go into the sludge with ease for another metre...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

CamperMan wrote: »
    the water table is at about 2.2 metres down, so, if I shove a very long stick done there, the water is at 2.2 metres, but a couple of inches below the water surface, there is a thick layer of black stinky sludge, if I shove the stick in further, it will go into the sludge with ease for another metre...

Hmm..you might need a pump of some sort but first it might be better to pump water down the well to liquify the sludge and gunge so the pump can suck it out better.

• Advertisement

Degsy wrote: »
    Hmm..you might need a pump of some sort but first it might be better to pump water down the well to liquify the sludge and gunge so the pump can suck it out better.

the sludge is already liquified as it's below the water, it's just slop... you pull some up with a bucket and it looks like someone had a bad curry the night before

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭ponddigger

hi cm is this well in ireland or germany:Dponddigger:D any photos of the well

ponddigger wrote: »
    hi cm is this well in ireland or germany:Dponddigger:D any photos of the well

It's in Germany.. no pics yet, will have one up by the weekend, not much to see..

it's an old stone built one about a metre wide and no idea how deep it goes.. it's located in the garage.. ye, weird, but the well would have been built many many years ago, the house is from 1840, and they built the garage over it in the 50's or 60's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Thunderbird2

Try a wet dry vacuum . They suck all the nasty out of the pond

a pic here of the old well.

this photo was taken after a very heavy thunderstorm

SNB11527small.JPG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭ponddigger

hi cm .bucket and rope job:Dponddigger:D

no way am I climbing down there

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

from my limited experience. when I was a kid my father would clean out a surface well from inside. He used a bucket on a rope, and a saucepan when it got too shallow for the bucket. Always worked a treat.

If you won;t go into the well, maybe a neighbour will.
    best of luck with it.

Advertisement