Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Consultancy work/Self employed

Options
  • 30-05-2012 12:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

Hi Guys

I am thinking of moving into the consultancy world with the option to avail of a contract which provides a very good daily rate. I see this is a short to medium term decision. I was just wondering what I would need to do in terms of setting myself up and also the best options open to me

Any help greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I think the Entrepreneurial & Business Management forum might be better for this, if you need to find out more info on the logistics of setting up. Let me know if you'd like me to move this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭OhMyGod123

Hi Eoin - It would be great if you could move this thread please

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Thread moved from work/jobs

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Does your contract require you to operate through a company (either your own, or an umbrella)? If not you could operate as a sole trader.

You say short-medium term: if you set up a company yourself there is a lot of hassle involved, which will cause you rage if you only use it for a few months. An umbrella is best in this short-term case, but imposes some constraints and extra tax liability.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

srsly78 wrote: »
    An umbrella is best in this short-term case, but imposes some constraints and extra tax liability.

How do you mean umbrella?

Best option here I would feel is sole trader depending on the line of business you are consulting on? Can you give us more information?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Umbrella_company A quick google will find you an Irish one.

Advertisement