Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need Help with Social Benefits

Options
  • 30-05-2012 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

I am currently being let go from my job.
    My contract ends the 9th June. But they have now extended it to the end of July.

I have been diagnosed with an illness and wish to leave when my contract ends on the 9th June so I can apply for a medical card as my tablets are costing me hundreds and I just cannot afford it.

If I leave the date my original contract ends would I still have to wait to receive my social welfare?

Can you please help

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

firstly speak to your employer and tell them you want to finish up at the end of your current contract and not in july

when you go to the social welfare in june to sign on they ask why your finished up so just tell them your contract has finished up now, if you have enough prsi contributions and are entitled to jsb then you will have no wait if you supply all the information to them quickly, if you do not and have to apply for jsa which is means tested it may take a bit longer like a couple of weeks

op be aware that when you apply for a medical card it takes months for it to come through and i mean months easily up to 9/10 months waiting for it to be issued, so apply for the drug payment card even though you have to pay for your meds it shouldnt come to what you are paying now, forms for both can be gotten from your local health centre

• Registered Users Posts: 8 billetdouxmimi

thanks so much for the information

greatly appreciated :D

Advertisement