Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Drivers who beep their horns while driving past women are twats

• 30-05-2012 12:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭

So I live on a busy road in a city and I've been stuck at home revising while the weather's been hot. Anyway this last week it must be triple figures easily the amount of cars I've heard beep their horns this last week.

When it's good weather out it seems to happen all the time. A girl's walking down the road and some eejit drives past and beeps his horn at her. Now don't get me wrong I'm no feminist, in this hot weather it's been great having a bit of a perv at some of the girls out on show this week, but I'd never shout out to them or beep my car at them which I've seen people do. I'd be mortified if I did that to a woman.

I don't understand what these idiots are hoping to achieve? Is a girl really going to go wow this guy drives a van has beeped their horn at me I'm going to jump in his car and I'll ride him.

So my questions I pose to the people of After Hours are:

1. What do you think of this phenomenon? Does it annoy you?
    2. Does anyone on here actually do it? If so why do you do it?
    3. For the females of AH: Has this happened to you? Do you feel complimented, turned on, annoyed, degraded or are largely indifferent by it?

:cool:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I haven't seen it in awhile but generally the drivers were mongos

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

They could do something else with their horns, which may be even more frowned upon. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

How else are they to know I'd ride them otherwise :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

Ah shur they only love it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭actuallylike

SCRUBBBERS!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Do the girls who don't get beeped at feel hurt and ignored?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 690 ✭✭✭puffishoes

Personally I couldn't give a *beep*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

I only do it with the horn on me penny farthing, straight after I adjust my monocle to get a good look at the lady in question's chasis :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

It's the mark of a man that's completely out of ideas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

SCRUBBBERS!!!

they love it!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

BEEP!! BEEP!!

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭haminka

I saw it yesterday and the girl seemed to be very pleased :cool: Wasn't me, I'm no more in the age to get beeped at for my sexy looks and not yet in the stage where they merely wait for the old auntie to cross the street when the green's long gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Battered Mars Bar

Beats sticking your head out the window and howling/drooling like a dog or does it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭flanders1979

What is more annoying is when some spastic in the passenger seat beeps it and makes a show of you. Especially when they are not from the area and its your neighbours(who you have hardly ever spoken to) teenage daughter out walking with her mother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

In our natural world, it's the male advertising his status that he's a bollox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

its a mark of respect by showing the woman how appriecative you are of her bewbs or backside... they love it, dont they?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

What is more annoying is when some spastic in the passenger seat beeps it and makes a show of you. Especially when they are not from the area and its your neighbours(who you have hardly ever spoken to) teenage daughter out walking with her mother.

:D

Now that's the kind of car beeping I will condone :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

I've had it done to me plenty of times over the years- i'm not a minger, but certainly no stunner either :p I don't dress skimpily either, so have no idea why.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Fizzlesque

I detest the sound of car horns being beeped - such a violent intrusion on my happy daydream world inside my head - so, if it was to say "I see you're wearing a skirt/summer top today" or if it was to say "oh look, there's someone I know, I must beep at them, otherwise they won't be able to [don't know WTF the damage would be if people were denied the knowledge X,Y or Z passsed them in their car]....."

It's just annoying, end of. The reason (unless it's to actually avoid a crash/traffic accident, you know, what it's designed for :rolleyes:) is immaterial.

Worst is when someone gives someone a lift and they still feel the need to beep loudly to say goodbye to the person who has just got out of their car.....

Grrrr....one of my pet peeves this is. As you can probably tell :)

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Capri86

I've had it done to me plenty of times over the years- i'm not a minger, but certainly no stunner either :p I don't dress skimpily either, so have no idea why.

Bewbs

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

They be beeping the wrong horn around them women.:cool:
    http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/hprofile-ak-snc4/276827_220178918027314_8076182_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

stop walking on the feckin road then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Meh, I like it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

At least they're not scrubs.
    I don't want no scrubs
    A scrub is a guy that can't get no love from me
    Hangin' out the passenger side
    Of his best friend's ride
    Trying to holla at me

Ah the memories, good times :D :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 690 ✭✭✭puffishoes

I think people always assume it's because they're stunning.

If you're a bit of a heffer or a general minger you'll also be getting the horn.

Capri86 wrote: »
    Bewbs

Possibly....:D

I also don't understand what they get out of it...I doubt I'll ever turn around and say I must have them now, in the biblical sense :p:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭UDP

They are just letting the women know they have a horn for them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

I've beeped and been beeped at by girls. It's just a bit of harmless craic.

Besides, I know plenty of girls that have said they like it when it happens.

Jaysus, we're taking every little thing that happens these days way to seriously!

They all have lovely bottoms.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Lollers

My friends and me were driving along lovely sunny day. When we came to road works. Stop go sign was in operation,when we were waiting we spotted two cute looking road worker lads, tops off, brown skin glistening in the sun We beeped them, they came over to the car a we gave them a few tins (we were on our way to a BBQ). They seemed happy enough about it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

Yeah, it's just stupid - when you hear a beep, you automatically think someone is warning you of something.
    Then you realise it's just some gobshyte.

I haven't been beeped at this summer - you'd want to be some sicko to beep at a big fat preggo!

But yeah, usually would happen in sunny weather.
    I just glare at them - I do not feel complimented - I just think they're stupid pervs.

If find it harmless, the only thing is if I'm out walking and someone beeps and I'm not wearing my earphones. I nearly jump about 10 feet in the air, making me look a complete dope.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

if its for no good reason its stupid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

So you sit in your home, and get mad every time somebody beeps their horn? I dunno op, whenever I hear a car horn outside my window I dont even take note of it. Probably happens several times a week too. Couldnt care less.

In regards to beeping at women, I dont really care. I dont do it, and it doesnt effect me. If I did see it happen, I would just assume they know the person.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

Wow a good looking women dont want mens attention when dressed scantly shock thread. Don't see anything wrong with it a bit like a good looking woman passes you out on the motorway so you pass her out again to have a good look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

The ''ring ring'' bell sound on a 10 speed racer doesn't have the same affect or get the same response :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Unfortunately my car horn is broke at present so the hot weather has left me in a spot of bother as it was my favourite pastime to beep at scantily clad ladies.

Therefore I had to fashion a cone out of cardboard and attach a penny whistle to it in order to sound out my enjoyment. It was quite complex to work and required me to drive with my knees but was totally worth it and I didn't spill my Bulmers once despite the speed I was travelling at whilst avoiding those silly children who insist on playing on the road in the estate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭St.Spodo

It's only a bit of craic. I can't imagine many women would be offended by it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

I was beeped a severel times over the weekend, as I'm a 60y.o. bloke I'm assuming it was the old classic I was driving, but you never know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Get off the road!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Lollers wrote: »
    My friends and me were driving along lovely sunny day. When we came to road works. Stop go sign was in operation,when we were waiting we spotted two cute looking road worker lads, tops off, brown skin glistening in the sun We beeped them, they came over to the car a we gave them a few tins (we were on our way to a BBQ). They seemed happy enough about it :)

Beans or spaghetti hoops?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

This thread reminded me of this video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yd_BaP1f_VY

~B

Get off the road!

even though I'm usually walking on a path alongside the road...?

St.Spodo wrote: »
    It's only a bit of craic. I can't imagine many women would be offended by it.

if it makes you jump 10feet in the air or you're talking on your phone the craic'll soon wear off.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Any key?

Worse in Melbourne.Not offensive,just kinda odd really don't ye think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭actuallylike

Lollers wrote: »

Sluts

I jest in your general direction

Beans or spaghetti hoops?

Nah it was Stella, spaghetti hoops are a nightmare to cook on a BBQ.

• Advertisement
Advertisement