Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Death of Mercury

Options
  • 30-05-2012 12:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭

OK, a tad dramatic perhaps, but I was reading this article this morning which I found quite interesting; basically, it talks about the interfering pull of Jupiter's gravity and how Mercury's orbit is destined to become increasingly erratic because of it, until eventually it is ejected from our solar system. Or sent on a collision course :rolleyes:

I know we're talking billions of years here, and the Sun will probably have died already, but would the death/disappearance of Mercury have any effect on us? Obviously, if it heads this way, but say if it was spat into the Sun - would there be any terrestrial consequences? Some kind of giant solar flare?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

He died in November 1991.

I was devestated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭dominiquecruz

We'll get through this together chughes. Ignoring all that above so, my actual query is, could a planet - one of the terrestrial planets, for example - get ejected from our solar system and leave us completely unscathed? I'm actually writing something at the moment, and I wanted to touch on that, but I was just wondering if it's scientifically credible, or would it more than likely wreak havoc across our minute habitat in the Milky Way. Answers on a postcard.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭slade_x

I know we're talking billions of years here, and the Sun will probably have died already, but would the death/disappearance of Mercury have any effect on us?

Lets see if our species makes it past this century first. Generally a star dying in a solar system is more of a downer than planets crossing orbits or otherwise. And given the amount of time that would be required for that extremely unlikely 1%< scenario to play out mercury and venus will almost definitely have been engulfed by the sun in its next phase by then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭dominiquecruz

Thanks for that, Slade. It was meant purely hypothetically though; I'm writing a piece of fiction that's a bit out there, and I was just wondering what would happen if one of our neighbours should just one day disappear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

It wouldnt have any noticable effect if it just dissappeared, would be different if it was the moon.
    Not too sure how big an effect an impact with the sun would have, solar flares are massive anyway,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

Thanks for that, Slade. It was meant purely hypothetically though; I'm writing a piece of fiction that's a bit out there, and I was just wondering what would happen if one of our neighbours should just one day disappear.

Here you go, play god and make mercury or anything else you fancy vanish at the click of a mouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

There is a theory that a giant planet was ejected from a young solar system.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/11/111110142102.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭The Radiator

Oh my

Advertisement