Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI: League Of Ireland Fixtures (WEEK 13) June 1st 2012

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Another loss for us this evening but performance in the second half was encouraging. Drogs were the better team in the first half but I'dsay Mick Cooke was raging with them in the second half. They showed us far too much respect and sat back instead of killing the game off.

We had almost all of the ball in the second half, not because we're good at keeping the ball (we're definitely not) but because Drogheda sat back and let us play. When we equalized they went straight up the other end and took the lead again but once more they played a very dangerous game and let us attack them for the final twenty minutes. They got away with it this evening but against better teams they'll be punished.

Anyway fair play to Dundalk. Players didn't get paid this week but they gave probably their best home performance of the season in the second half. Fair play to supporters as well who left their season tickets at home and paid in this evening to help the club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

But booing a substitution is wrong. Kavanagh should have got a standing ovation

The booing was aimed at Kenny because he was taking him off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

stovelid wrote: »
    wtf

Pats drink bus does things to you......seemingly i asked the mondog maker for a slice of cheese on one of them. Dont actually remember that but someone has photos :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

stovelid wrote: »
    Thanks to the Cork support for their applause and respect.

That was a great display. Everyone in the away section applauding too. Rivalries get put away for things like that. Ye did him proud lads.

On the game itself, would have taken a point before we went up so happy. Our goal was a cracker, cracking cross from Purcell and a bullet header from Dunleavy our left full, who sprinted a good 60 yards to get on the end of it. Magic.

That being said, we rode our luck big time and were lucky not to be three down. Some last ditch defending and the woodwork saw to that.

On an aside note, my first time in Tallaght, won't be my last. Fantastic stadium. Superb playing surface. Great atmosphere. And good craic with the Rovers fans before the game in the Maldron. An advert for LOI football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Played quite well but just couldn't score. The break has come at a nice time for us, get everyone fit and hopefully Barraclough's contacts will help strenghten our squad for the run in.

Pascal is top class.

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Pats drink bus does things to you......seemingly i asked the mondog maker for a slice of cheese on one of them. Dont actually remember that but someone has photos :(
    Photos of you asking for cheese? :confused:

AgileMyth wrote: »
    Played quite well but just couldn't score. The break has come at a nice time for us, get everyone fit and hopefully Barraclough's contacts will help strenghten our squad for the run in.

Pascal is top class.

Anything happen with Mc Millan and North ?

Seen Evan was booked on livescore convinced it was for lumping North out of it :D

Anything happen with Mc Millan and North ?

Seen Evan was booked on livescore convinced it was for lumping North out of it :D
    Not that I recall. North was lumped out of it in their box once but Hancock chose to ignore it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Was a cracking second half in Tallaght, the time flew by. Two great goals.
    Kenny hasn't got the tactical awareness of M O'Neil.
    MON changed games with his substitutions....SK's are baffling:confused:

Kavanagh was poor, just ahead of McCabe (again) and Dennehy. Again Kenny's sub brings about the goal - that's a change of a game surely? Greene provided the cross, like Kavanagh and SOD last Friday. The one time Powell and Greene actually beat their man on the outside, the threat and opening goal came. Good to CmC in the middle.

I have never broken into uncontrollable laughter at a football game before but the non-penalty for Cork early on had me in stitches. I'll never know how he did not give it :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

dfx- wrote: »
    I have never broken into uncontrollable laughter at a football game before but the non-penalty for Cork early on had me in stitches. I'll never know how he did not give it :D:D

That was as blatant as they come! Bloody hell! our assistant manager was sent off for screaming at the fourth official afterwards! And the referee was only five yards away from it! Christ like..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Was in Tallaght last night and I felt we played well.

Always good result when you get something against them.

2 great goals.

but that penalty incident? Jesus Christ!!!

On nice unbeaten run and could have very well won 2 of those games where we only got point.

Need be bit more clinical, but after slow start am pleased we are able to at least put it up to top teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Shels scored...and managed to win in Derry!? WTF! Sick I missed it due to work, least there was live radio coverage to listen to! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Now that's how you spoil someone's jubilee celebrations!!!! :pac:

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Entertaining game for a 0-0 between us an Sligo.

First half was even enough, Sligo dominated us for most of the 2nd half. Your right winger gave Lopez a horrid time, though to be fair he isn't a left back.

Might have nicked it at the end if Traynor wasn't terrified of shooting.

Point gained, quite happy.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Roar wrote: »
    That was as blatant as they come! Bloody hell! our assistant manager was sent off for screaming at the fourth official afterwards! And the referee was only five yards away from it! Christ like..

You could hear the crunching contact down in Cork, I'd say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Hard Worker

Great send off for Joe de Hoop last night.
    The respect and applause shown by the 300 Cork fans was very much appreciated also. Fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

Huge game tonight! COME ON THE TOWN!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,593 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Derry's security were a disgrace last night by the way. Thugs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Hard Worker

CSF wrote: »

You wouldn't be the first to report that.
    Their head of security normally boasts about it on twitter.

• Advertisement

Great send off for Joe de Hoop last night.
    The respect and applause shown by the 300 Cork fans was very much appreciated also. Fair play.

We are a nice bunch tbf. No matter what others think of us.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Madworld

What did they do? Rovers and us also had trouble with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 371 ✭✭southlouth type

Pighead wrote: »
    Another loss for us this evening but performance in the second half was encouraging. Drogs were the better team in the first half but I'dsay Mick Cooke was raging with them in the second half. They showed us far too much respect and sat back instead of killing the game off.

We had almost all of the ball in the second half, not because we're good at keeping the ball (we're definitely not) but because Drogheda sat back and let us play. When we equalized they went straight up the other end and took the lead again but once more they played a very dangerous game and let us attack them for the final twenty minutes. They got away with it this evening but against better teams they'll be punished.

Anyway fair play to Dundalk. Players didn't get paid this week but they gave probably their best home performance of the season in the second half. Fair play to supporters as well who left their season tickets at home and paid in this evening to help the club.

Have to agree with that tbh . Thought we had another gear when needed to we let you have the ball way to much in the second half for some reason .

Madworld wrote: »
    What did they do? Rovers and us also had trouble with them.

Flinging people around, grabbing lads by the throat in a very aggressive manner. Granted, our lads went a bit mental, when we scored and at the final whistle, but in a celebratory way, not in any sort of malicious way. 2 young lads (maybe 15/16) ran out onto the running track when we scored and they nearly had their head removed by one of them.

Could hardly believe my eyes with some of it.

Entertaining game for a 0-0 between us an Sligo.

First half was even enough, Sligo dominated us for most of the 2nd half. Your right winger gave Lopez a horrid time, though to be fair he isn't a left back.

Might have nicked it at the end if Traynor wasn't terrified of shooting.

Point gained, quite happy.
    Yeah agree with all of that. Doesn't matter if hes a left back or not though, Pascals gonna skin him all day long!

After Jay was sent of we had a 16 year old left back in centre back and two wingers at full back. If ye were ever to get a chance to nick it that was it. Peers was everywhere though, some man.

Flinging people around, grabbing lads by the throat in a very aggressive manner. Granted, our lads went a bit mental, when we scored and at the final whistle, but in a celebratory way, not in any sort of malicious way. 2 young lads (maybe 15/16) ran out onto the running track when we scored and they nearly had their head removed by one of them.

They won't do it next time though. ;)

Only problem we've had up there was the first game of last season where it took over twenty minutes to get a ticket.

• Advertisement

jaysis you lucky bastards to be treated that well by Derry stewards......****ing shels fans get treated like royalty up there.

Wait till you bring a decent crowd up, then theres even more of those nice chaps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

AgileMyth wrote: »
    Yeah agree with all of that. Doesn't matter if hes a left back or not though, Pascals gonna skin him all day long!

After Jay was sent of we had a 16 year old left back in centre back and two wingers at full back. If ye were ever to get a chance to nick it that was it. Peers was everywhere though, some man.

Loving the confidence!! Good ol Pascal!! He'll lead you's to third place!!

monkey9 wrote: »
    Loving the confidence!! Good ol Pascal!! He'll lead you's to third place!!

We have that in the bag unless North gets injured.

Actually shocked Evan didnt try to kill him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

We have that in the bag unless North gets injured.

Actually shocked Evan didnt try to kill him.

Rovers will blow it!! If we don't win it, i'd love Rovers to win the league. But i think it's between ourselves and Shams!! Shams are sh!te. So if not us, Rovers all the way!!

Great win for us last night, but it's only a matter of time until Roderick resigns. He won't want to ruin his 'reputation' of never relegating a club!!

monkey9 wrote: »
    Rovers will blow it!! If we don't win it, i'd love Rovers to win the league. But i think it's between ourselves and Shams!! Shams are sh!te. So if not us, Rovers all the way!!

Great win for us last night, but it's only a matter of time until Roderick resigns. He won't want to ruin his 'reputation' of never relegating a club!!

Your on your own there, no chance of us winning the league or even being involved the fight for the league.

Our team together 3 months and only figuring out now how to beat teams that sit back....play 5 up front!!!

3rd is my goal.... 2nd if North ****s off or gets injured.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

It sounds like the should have been chucked out of the ground for that and I'd expect the same treatment for anybody coming to Tolka Park and misbehaving in such a way. The fence at the Brandywell isnt exactly something you would fall over either.

The players safety is paramount. Anybody that enters or looks like they are trying to enter the field of play should be treated as a hostile force.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Limerick beating Longford tonight 2 nil may well be the game that wins us the league...

We should push on from here, and go unbeaten. After the break we'll have Dom Foley back as well as Kelly, Quinn, Gamble & Sheehan...

But we were made work hard for our 3points, by the ref Caschera was a joke of a referee. But we got the 3 points in the end and that's all that matters:D

C'mon le Super Blues

It sounds like the should have been chucked out of the ground for that and I'd expect the same treatment for anybody coming to Tolka Park and misbehaving in such a way. The fence at the Brandywell isnt exactly something you would fall over either.

The players safety is paramount. Anybody that enters or looks like they a re trying to enter the field of play should be treated as a hostile force.
    I'm not referring to their ejection, totally legitimate. But there was no need for the ridiculously excessive force, and acting the same towards people who weren't trying to get on the pitch.

The stewards had clearly been goaded by the jubilee songs etc and such and were dying to deal some 'justice' out to Shels fans. In the end they became outnumbered and had to back down.

Surely the famed PSNI officers who attend 'undercover' came racing over to resolve the issue..

Were the away fans put in the city end of the stand or the cage/car park end?

Surely the famed PSNI officers who attend 'undercover' came racing over to resolve the issue..

Were the away fans put in the city end of the stand or the cage/car park end?
    Don't really know Derry too well. We were the opposite end of the pitch to the big scoreboard they have there.

If people were ejected from a nightclub but manhandled or even clattered in the process, there would be complaints. Should be no different at a football game

Supporters shouldn't encroach near the pitch when celebrating but saying the players are in danger is exaggerating slightly.

A pan-club supporter boycott of away fixtures at the Brandywell would probably make them act.

Never had any problems up there in Derry when was there couple of times.

Can see why they be some bit aggressive if supporters left the stand, but for celebrating seems wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I am waiting for the chant about it.

gimmick wrote: »
    I am waiting for the chant about it.
    Yawn.

Never had any problems up there in Derry when was there couple of times.

Can see why they be some bit aggressive if supporters left the stand, but for celebrating seems wrong.
    I can't see why they would, they're not there to deal out punishment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Ebbs

Kavanagh was poor, just ahead of McCabe (again) and Dennehy. Again Kenny's sub brings about the goal - that's a change of a game surely? Greene provided the cross, like Kavanagh and SOD last Friday. The one time Powell and Greene actually beat their man on the outside, the threat and opening goal came. Good to CmC in the middle.

I really, really dont think we were at the same game.

Kavanagh and McCabe were two of the best players on the pitch, just behind Powell who was immense all night. McCabe beat his man nearly every time and for once won a lot of ball, Kavanagh was causing their back line serious problems.

While CmC was good last night, Id still rather Turner in the middle. He actually gets the ball in the final third and plays it a little more central.

should be treated as a hostile force.

Do you work for NATO's PR department? :rolleyes:

Don't really know Derry too well. We were the opposite end of the pitch to the big scoreboard they have there.

If you're looking from the tv camera side looking at the stand, the city end is to the left
    Ebbs wrote: »
    I really, really dont think we were at the same game.

Kavanagh and McCabe were two of the best players on the pitch, just behind Powell who was immense all night. McCabe beat his man nearly every time and for once won a lot of ball, Kavanagh was causing their back line serious problems.

I don't think we were.

McCabe beat his man, but rarely on the outside. The backroom staff should be gluing his boots to the far touchline. He was constantly running inside and losing the ball. He should be trying to stretch these backlines by trying to get within 18 yards of the corner flag like Powell and less so Gilbert was.

I agree that McCabe is so frustratingly half there as a winger. Great at going past players but like a schoolyard player insofar as he goes infield to follow the ball and won't stay on his wing to spread the play and support the full back. Poor old Billy does all that but can't go past a player. If you could combine them, you'd have a great winger.

He was one of the few players making something happen on Friday so deserves praise but he needs to buckle down.

Good video of the display on Friday:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Didn't get to go to the match on Friday as was away, so just saw the highlights there. Bray really rode their luck anyway, Byrne is proving to be a brilliant signing. So many vital goals that'll hopefully see them stay up.

Mushy wrote: »
    Didn't get to go to the match on Friday as was away, so just saw the highlights there. Bray really rode their luck anyway, Byrne is proving to be a brilliant signing. So many vital goals that'll hopefully see them stay up.

Bray look decent enough to stay up.

I'd say it'll either be Dundalk or Monaghan for the automatic relegation spot and the other in the play-offs. Who joins them will be interesting though. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Yawn.

Can't do any better than that no?

I was expecting a rebel rousing call to arms like "fúck the jesters" etc etc etc

Or at least something classy like FTA.

Come on Shells fans, do not leave yourselves down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

Disappointed with the result as a hoops fan, but the performance was as fluid as I've seen this season.

Gary McCabe was excellent for me. I can see why people would like him to hug the wing a bit more, but his coming inside caused problems in the centre and left space for Kerrea Gilbert to run into really well. Between the two of them, they whipped in some very good crosses. It might be heresy to say this, but I think Twigg actually had an off night: there were some decidedly winnable balls that he just didn't seem interested in.

Jaysus but poor Billy Dennehy is having a long dark night of the soul in 90-minute installments. Feel for the lad at this stage, but I'd like to see Brennan get a run-out there.

Conor Powell has settled in really well now for me, and looks well able bombing forward - between him and Gilbert (who has enough pace to make up for his mistakes) we seem to have a good pair of full backs. It's at centre-back that we shot ourselves in the foot. Hopefully Oman will be back after the break....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Mushy wrote: »
    Can't see ye having any trouble staying up to be honest. Byrne had a couple of other decent chances not shown on MNS. From looking at the team all season it looks as though there's pretty much no training done on defending corners. Every time we concede one we seem to panic and give away a decent chance.

Advertisement