Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horse box or little lorry

Options
  • 30-05-2012 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

I am sick of having to beg and borrow lifts off people so I am looking into getting my own horsey transport but I only have a B car licence so don't know which I would be better doing getting a trailer and going through the hassle of getting my trailer licence or getting a small lorry like a transit for 2 horses but have no idea how much either of this will cost re insurance DOE etc
    So if anyone has had any experience in this please let me know which you would reccommend

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭marley123

Have just been onto the RSA about towing a horse box.
    You need to apply for an EB Provisional licence, if towing horse box while on this you need an accompaning driver who has an EB Full licence for 2 years. 6mth rule does not apply so you can apply for test immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 champie

Did they tell you what was involved in the test I know I would be much happier driving a small lorry then towing a trailer but no idea how much insurance is on a little lorry and do you have to change or notify your insurance when towing a trailer

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭crusher000

You'll have to get insurance to tow a trailer not all companies cover but i found FBD to be best . If you buy a small truck you'll have two vehicles to insure and won't be able to use the truck for every day use. Both vehicles will need service, new tyres etc. We have a Suzuki Grand Vitaro and have easily pulled two grown horses. Often days of shows have seen trucks being pulled out of fields by tractors and the Vitaro with four wheel drive making it out without being towed.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

Like everything else, it depends on your usage. :) If you commute or drive long distances you might be better off with a small economical car and a van/small lorry.

Otherwise, perhaps a jeep and trailer would suit you better. A lot of showgrounds park the lorrys in more accessible areas to get around having no 4 wheel drive. The small lorries can be expensive to buy though. You might need to go to UK to get it. commercial tax is 280 euro though and horsebox insurance should be low enough with the limited mileage you'll do. I'm not 100% sure though.

I have a jeep and trailer, but I do a lot of driving and the price of diesel is a killer. :(

Advertisement