Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap Black out blind.

Options
  • 30-05-2012 1:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭

My little one's room is really sunny so I knew I needed a black out blind. I met loads of mums who have black bags taped to the windows!! I know my little one would get her hands on these so I made a black out blind for €7.

Its a 4ft window. I bought 1.5 meters of black out lining €6. I cut it to the shape of the window plus 2 inches at the top.

I rolled over the top by 1 inch and threaded a net curtain wire through it €1, I then put a picture hook each side of the window and hung the curtain hooks on them. It work really well, much better than the black out blind I still have on under it. Plus it looks fine from the outside of the house.

Its basically the same as the Gro blackout blind but hung on hooks instead of suction cups. I tried my one on suction hooks but it fell down in the morning.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Nifty!

I did something similar. I got velcro tape... and attached blackout lining to the lining of the curtains with it. (stitched on the velcro tape to the lining, and the curtains.)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

well done wmpdd3! I have been meaning to get a black out blind for my lady for a while now but tbh I can't really justify the cost of a piece of material! This will do nicely! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭meath4sam

Ikea do a good black out blind for around 15 euro depending on window size, it's a roller blind and comes in white as well as black.got a white one and its great as looks well from outside and there's no putting up and taking down all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I have a black out roller blind inside the homemade blind! You could develop photos in her room!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i got one of those stick on portable blackout blinds, but the sun hits his room in the afternoon and the black of the blind turns the room into an oven. :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7 wellinever2012

black out blinds are a saving grace my sister has a child and since she got black out blinds in the kids rooms she gets an exta hours sleep in the mornin :)...wonder if i do that for work

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭WWC1

HI wpmdd3,

Where did you buy the black out lining??

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I got it in Guineys, but they have in Hickeys etc.
    Get the 60 inch wide if you can, then you wont have to sew it.

Advertisement