Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photos of your Ikea flat pack assembly.

• 30-05-2012 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭

I am thinking of getting a new kitchen from Ikea.

I'm worried about the finish and how will it look. But would love to do something myself and say I did that.

Have you assembled anything from Ikea and surprised yourself for a job will done? Or was it a disaster........

If so please upload a photo of the finished item be it good bad or ugly..

I will upload a photo once I have one to upload.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

BO-JANGLES wrote: »

I'm worried about the finish and how will it look. But would love to do something myself and say I did that.

Have you assembled anything from Ikea and surprised yourself for a job will done? Or was it a disaster........

See my thread.:)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056635234

Easy to assemble.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭woodturner

Agetek in Tullamore make kitchens and wardrobes and supply them flat packed. They are available for fitting wall to wall and cut in a filler piece each end or freestanding where both sides will be seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

BO-JANGLES wrote: »

Nothing wrong with the ikea kitchens, have one in the house I'm living in at the moment and its very good. Really looks the part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

Mate just used Ikea kitchens .

He said it was a nightmare to fit.

The carcass did not have any room for adjustment .
    The backing piece was at the very back of the cabnet . So when he used it on an off plumb wall, he could not scribe it in.
    Normally you can power plane the side panels to make your carcass plumb. For the same reason all the pipe work had to be moved also.

He is a chippy . He swore never again.

His words, not mine.

Cash and carry come assembled . Day saved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,042 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

gsxr1 wrote: »
    Mate just used Ikea kitchens .

He said it was a nightmare to fit.

The carcass did not have any room for adjustment .
    The backing piece was at the very back of the cabnet . So when he used it on an off plumb wall, he could not scribe it in.
    Normally you can power plane the side panels to make your carcass plumb. For the same reason all the pipe work had to be moved also.

He is a chippy . He swore never again.

His words, not mine.

Cash and carry come assembled . Day saved.

Have done 3, all fine. A long guarantee on these parts. What carcass adjustment are you referring to?

There are adjustments ( 3 way ) on the upper carcass mounting plates which hold the thing to the wall.

Im a bit confused about "power planing bit" and if pipes are in the way and need to be moved, surely that would apply to any kitchen?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

Our Ikea kitchen
    r8uq8i.jpg
    2nknzw6.jpg
    27zgh1v.jpg
    1z6tk5.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 385 ✭✭peter_dublin

dodzy wrote: »
    Have done 3, all fine. A long guarantee on these parts. What carcass adjustment are you referring to?

There are adjustments ( 3 way ) on the upper carcass mounting plates which hold the thing to the wall.

Im a bit confused about "power planing bit" and if pipes are in the way and need to be moved, surely that would apply to any kitchen?

He is talking about the fact that in the UK and Ireland at least the units come with a false back which leaves approx 2" inches behind this false back which can be cut back as required to allow for not quite 90" to each other walls which are all too common in Ireland. For example my kitchen is 40mm wider at one end of the room than the other over a 2.4m run with units in a U shape, this means if I used standard Irish units then I could scrib (cut down) the back of the units on one wall so that you end up with a straight run. Basically I would take an increasing amount off the back of each unit. So the units at the narrowest would have 40mm off to account of the room being narrower by that amount and the units at the end where the room is already 40mm wider would have nothing removed from the rear so the units end up square, its as if the room was never 40mm out as far as the units go.

As I used Ikea units I had to scribe the 90x90 corner unit so it introduced the necessary angle to account for one of the walls not being exactly parrallel to the others. Kitchen World and B&Q units etc allow the additional space behind the false back for this. Ikea units do not, a 60cm x 60cm unit is 60 x 60 inside, an standard Irish unit would be wider than deeper inside due to the false back.

Depending on your layout an IKEA kitchen is cheap, excellient quaility but only if you ensure you start with a perfectly square room as there is no room for adjusting the units. With Ikea the room has to be right. With traditional units you could adjust the unit to the room to maximise room space but loose space in the units internally.

Re plumbing, tradditionally again the pipe work would have been hidden behind the false back, in an IKEA unit when I bought you have to bring your pipes up through the bottom of the unit. Visually a lot worse. This also means with an Irish kitchen a pipe could run across the back of several units to give the correct fall if required, with Ikea you have to run it at floor level below the 10cm hight of the legs, this may cause fall issues in larger kitchens which should be 1 in 100.

Ikea are a great product when it comes to kitchens but it's design is based on the European market and you have to be aware of the limitations and account for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

what he said:)

Advertisement