Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC cancelled my installation.

• 30-05-2012 2:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭

Was due to have 25mb installed, bundled with phone and tv. Installation guys called today and said they can't install as the signal is too weak and I would just have lots of issues.
    UPC are new to my estate and they said they will ring hq with the issue and they will get engineers out to the estate to fix the signal, then they will ring me to arrange another installation date.
    My question is has anyone ever experienced this installation issue and how long should it set me back?

Thank god my eircom and sky are still working but they will be switched off soon as I have them notice early this month.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,517 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I experienced a major connection issue last September when I was looking to get a broadband package. I already had UPC TV from the year beforehand and in September I was informed that UPC internet had arrived to my area.

When the installation crew came out, they said that the internet was not available in my apartment block even though it was available in my general area. They said I would not be able to get the internet and advised me to get in touch with customer service and they said they would liaise with 'HQ' to ensure that their database was amended to ensure it did not show Internet being available for me. After getting in touch with customer service UPC insisted that the internet was available in my building and scheduled another installation team to come out and sort it. So a week later the installation team which had visited the first time came back out and said again that the internet was not available in my apartment block. It was a bit of a farce really and when I contacted customer service again they wanted to send another crew out!

Anyways I cancelled the order and decided to go with Magnet. However two weeks or so later one of the guys from the installation crew rang me back and said that the Internet was now available in my building - all that was needed all along was for it to be activated on the roof. I managed to get out of my Magnet contract and am with UPC to this day and the service and quality of the internet is fantastic.

I guess my case just highlights that there is, in my opinion, terrible communication between UPC 'HQ' and their installation teams on the ground. My issue set me back over a month - I would advise you to get onto a manger in customer service and get them to tell you how long exactly it will take the engineers to sort the problem. From my experience, the engineers never actually seem to contact HQ (at least successfully) so in essence you will have to transmit the information yourself. The installation crews told me twice that they would contact HQ and tell them that my building could not get Internet - but customer service insisted that they never got any such contact from any installation personnel and were adamant that the Internet was available in my building as a result.

Stick with it though, the Internet is worth it in the long run imho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

Thanks for the reply, hope id doesn't drag out like yours with all the back and forward.

I called the sales dept and the girl said an engineer is calling to my house today and I said I didn't know that and nobody is home. She said his name is xxxx and his mobile number is xxxx, call him and arrange a time. She also felt fit to mention that he is a second level engineer so shoul sort it as second level guys are like consultants to the doctors (1st level) I had out yesterday!!!

I called the number and the guy that answered said I had a wrong number!!!!

When I called upc back another girl told me there's no way somebody in there would have a mobile number for an engineer and that they usually carry out repairs like this within 10 working days and I basically just have to wait till I get a call to say it's fixed and I can book an installation. I told this girl that Eircom and Sky turn off my phone, broadband and TV this weekend and she said, awe sorry about that.

ARGGGHHHHH

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,517 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

jarvis wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply, hope id doesn't drag out like yours with all the back and forward.

I called the sales dept and the girl said an engineer is calling to my house today and I said I didn't know that and nobody is home. She said his name is xxxx and his mobile number is xxxx, call him and arrange a time. She also felt fit to mention that he is a second level engineer so shoul sort it as second level guys are like consultants to the doctors (1st level) I had out yesterday!!!

When I called upc back another girl told me there's no way somebody in there would have a mobile number for an engineer and that they usually carry out repairs like this within 10 working days and I basically just have to wait till I get a call to say it's fixed and I can book an installation. I told this girl that Eircom and Sky turn off my phone, broadband and TV this weekend and she said, awe sorry about that.

ARGGGHHHHH

That sounds like a bit of a farce. I would ring UPC at this stage and ask to speak to a manager. It is the only way you will get anywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

jarvis wrote: »

ARGGGHHHHH

That sounds like a bit of a farce. I would ring UPC at this stage and ask to speak to a manager. It is the only way you will get anywhere.

Did that Saturday and they said it'll be sorted by Wednesday. But can't help feeling it was just to get me off the phone. I have a feeling I'll be calling them back on Wednesday afternoon.

Advertisement